2020 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
African Americans make up less than 15% of the population so what demographic numbers are you talking about?

Exactly, I don't get why NFL coaches should have more minorities than are contained in the general population. Because there are more black players than white the coaches need to also be more black than white. Being an NFL player does not make you a good coach. Coaching takes literally zero athletic ability.

Like I've said, no one is bitching that there aren't enough Asian coaches or Indian coaches.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Exactly, I don't get why NFL coaches should have more minorities than are contained in the general population. Because there are more black players than white the coaches need to also be more black than white. Being an NFL player does not make you a good coach. Coaching takes literally zero athletic ability.
If anything Hispanics and Asians should be bitching

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
African Americans make up less than 15% of the population so what demographic numbers are you talking about?

The NFL itself, as you well know. It’s possible that football players who play at the highest possible level are simply not a good source pool for great coaching material.

Maybe the best coaches flamed out as players long ago, in HS or Jr High, and went into the assistant ranks. Maybe they never were players.

I doubt that. The NFL players represent a great pool of talent. They know football including the nuances of the pro game.

You could say both jobs have nothing to do with each other and that coaching demographics should mimic the actual US population.

Then where are the Asians, the rest of the Hispanics, or the female coaches?

Most of the players are black Americans... it makes sense that most of the coaches would be too. But white retreads that interview well with white owners are going to have an advantage.

It’s trending in the opposite direction of pre-2018.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It’s possible that football players who play at the highest possible level are simply not a good source pool for great coaching material.
I'd say that it's more probable than just possible.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd say that it's more probable than just possible.
It's likely somewhere in between given how much advanced football knowledge and connections NFL players have as a source talent pool and how many black Americans there are in the league.

I have no idea what the Rooney rule's end goals are really. 100% of coaching and GM slots filled by minorities? No idea. It seems like they are just saying "there should be more"

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's likely somewhere in between given how much advanced football knowledge and connections NFL players have as a source talent pool and how many black Americans there are in the league.
I'm not talking about just black players. I'm talking about all players. I don't believe the vast majority of them would make good coaches. Coaching takes a special kind of personality. A certain mind set. Commitment.

I somehow just don't see Rob Gronkowski being a good coach.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm not talking about just black players. I'm talking about all players. I don't believe the vast majority of them would make good coaches. Coaching takes a special kind of personality. A certain mind set. Commitment.

I somehow just don't see Rob Gronkowski being a good coach.
:lol No doubt about it. Totally agree.

I'm just saying relative to the US coaching population (16000 HS teams and 130 college teams plus juco), the average NFL player a) knows a ton about football played at the highest level and b) has a ton of insider connections with the NFL. That's it, they basically have a gigantic leg up on being able to get a pro-coaching job.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
we're in XFL territory now
I liked some of the things the XFL did. The SkyJudge thing in the tweet above is one of them.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I liked the kickoff rule where the pursuers couldn't get a head start. Regarding 4th and 15, how much do you have to be trailing by and how much time has to be left in the game?

Cotton

Staff member
I liked the kickoff rule where the pursuers couldn't get a head start. Regarding 4th and 15, how much do you have to be trailing by and how much time has to be left in the game?
Yeah, I don't think you should be able to do it at any time during the game. Maybe with only a certain amount of time left or difference in score as you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom