2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys linebacker Leighton Vander Esch underwent surgery on his neck on Tuesday with the expectation that he will be available during the offseason program, according to multiple sources. Vander Esch missed seven games with the injury. The hope was he could avoid surgery with rest, but opted for a non-invasive procedure to alleviate the nerve issues he had been dealing with.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer 6m ago
How do you undergo non invasive surgery? Isn’t surgery by definition invasive?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I think his misty eyed tribute the other night meant he passes the audition.
I honestly didn’t get why people were saying Johnson and Aikman hated each other. Aikman was clearly moved by Johnson’s surprise visit and his emotions when he was trying to compose himself after he found out.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Are they even going go have everyone speak? If there are 15 inductees and 15 presenters, how are they going to fit in 30 speeches? Something has to give.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah I always thought the term non invasive meant they didn't cut into you at all. Which seems to be at odds with the term surgery.
Just means not a huge incision. For the neck, usually it means taking an anterior approach (i.e. through the front of the neck). Usually you use an endoscope (small fiberoptic camera) rather than just cut the person open and look at what you want to operate on with your bare eyes.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How do you undergo non invasive surgery? Isn’t surgery by definition invasive?
Technically maybe so but there are some procedures that can be done with an instrument like a needle that is inserted into an area and destroys the nerve that is causing the pain. This is used sometimes to avoid the knife so to speak. The good news it alleviates the problem for a time but the nerve will most probably regenerate in time. It all depends on how much of the nerve needs to be killed. It is considered a non invasive surgery but I don’t know if this is what was done.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I honestly didn’t get why people were saying Johnson and Aikman hated each other. Aikman was clearly moved by Johnson’s surprise visit and his emotions when he was trying to compose himself after he found out.
I don’t know who said they hated each other but Aikman stated that their relationship was strained for a while and it took “several years to get past it”.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Technically maybe so but there are some procedures that can be done with an instrument like a needle that is inserted into an area and destroys the nerve that is causing the pain. This is used sometimes to avoid the knife so to speak. The good news it alleviates the problem for a time but the nerve will most probably regenerate in time. It all depends on how much of the nerve needs to be killed. It is considered a non invasive surgery but I don’t know if this is what was done.
No he didn't get a rhizotomy (kills the nerve). LVE - I believe - had a herniated disc coupled with congenital spinal stenosis. The disc was pushing against the nerves supplying his arms most likely (not sure if one or both). Most likely this was treated by trimming the disc. You could do a fusion but I don't believe that would be minimally invasive. Also a fusion would be more career threatening.

Here is a pretty good summary. Again, the medical information being released has been very minimal, so a lot of this is conjecture.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's pretty awesome that he is willing to adapt to the players instead of basically starting from scratch and making everyone else learn his terminology. Ultimately he will have his playbook in there but the terminology used to call the plays will be the old system.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This commentary was the best out of everything McCarthy had to say.

We have been running basically the same system we started when they made the mistake to hire Monte Kiffin.

Whether it was him, Marinelli or Richard, there were still ties to it.

I won't pretend that Nolan will be better. I have never regarded him as a defensive genius.

But at the very least, we might have a defense that is less predictable and rigid.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom