2020 Draft Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact that the Jones are saying no first round LBer makes me more sure that we need just that.
It's always been fun to play conspiracy theorists with these guys but they usually aren't that tricky.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It's always been fun to play conspiracy theorists with these guys but they usually aren't that tricky.
I'm not saying that they are trying to trick people. Just that they wrong in their assessment on injured players a lot of the time. They are always overly optimistic and loyal to a fault.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying that they are trying to trick people. Just that they wrong in their assessment on injured players a lot of the time. They are always overly optimistic and loyal to a fault.
It's fine if someone wants to buy 'LVE insurance', but you do that in the 4th round or later and hope you hit. You can't follow up 2018's 1st rounder with 2020 insurance.

Rev

Staff member
It's fine if someone wants to buy 'LVE insurance', but you do that in the 4th round or later and hope you hit. You can't follow up 2018's 1st rounder with 2020 insurance.
It wouldn't be insurance if LVE can't play.

I just get worried when the Jones talk about players coming back from injury.

I've always been a BPA advocate so if they stick with their board and it's Murray I won't complain. It sounds like that won't be the issue so you don't have to worry.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Then sign a cheap free agent.

With good reason. You're right to worry. Nobody pumps sunshine better than the Joneses. And they're usually 100% wrong. I totally agree with you on that.

I've always been a BPA advocate so if they stick with their board and it's Murray I won't complain. It sounds like that won't be the issue so you don't have to worry.
Yes, I was glad to read that. Even BPA has its limits.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

The system of BPA hasn’t held up at all when you see that virtually every team in the NFL draft according to need. The days of stockpiling players is essentially a thing of the past simply because of the number of player restrictions and the unreasonable demands from the players themselves who have little regard for team personnel strategy. Most want the contract benefits and the guarantees that essentially keep the franchises closer to the cap restrictions than those who have financial flexibility. Being able to pick up superior athletes who are added the a pool is not a reality anymore.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I didn't know Chaisson blew out his knee in 18'. And only has one year of real production

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I wonder if any of these are marijuana related flags since the new CBA was approved after the combine was completed. If so, those players shouldn't be placed in the NFL's substance abuse program.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Just wish, at least for one year, we could go back to just Saturday and Sunday.
Those assholes ruined my drinking time. I used to sit down and literally do nothing but drink all day long. Then, I’d have draft parties at my house when a good sized group of us drank all day long. Now? Feh.

Rev

Staff member
The system of BPA hasn’t held up at all when you see that virtually every team in the NFL draft according to need. The days of stockpiling players is essentially a thing of the past simply because of the number of player restrictions and the unreasonable demands from the players themselves who have little regard for team personnel strategy. Most want the contract benefits and the guarantees that essentially keep the franchises closer to the cap restrictions than those who have financial flexibility. Being able to pick up superior athletes who are added the a pool is not a reality anymore.
I doubt that there are very many teams that cant do BPA. I look at our team and with the exception of RB there is a case to be made for every other position. Even QB but I think that is more of a contract issue, imo.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I doubt that there are very many teams that cant do BPA. I look at our team and with the exception of RB there is a case to be made for every other position. Even QB but I think that is more of a contract issue, imo.
Sure. Any team can do a BPA but they rarely do so in the first 4 or 5 rounds. Almost without exception teams use these rounds to fill need positions and the rest of the rounds are to shore up depth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hard part with BPA is it's all about getting the cheap years out of a starter. So lets say you draft an OT. Sure he may sit for a couple years but then become a starter. So are 2 years of an OT starter on a cheap deal as good as a 4 year starter at DE who is slightly less talented?

That's sort of the dilemma with BPA. Cap management is hard if you're not getting premium picks on the field right away.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Good GMs draft with a balance of BPA and need.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good GMs draft with a balance of BPA and need.
I think you have to. Unfortunately I think teams are even worse. They go into a draft with a list of like 30 guy they really want and ignore BPA entirely. It's why you see these WTF picks in the fourth, fifth round when a guy has fallen who has no business still being there.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, like Maurice Hurst and his "heart problem" who fell all the way to the 5th and has the looks of being a very nice long-term piece after putting up 7.5 sacks in his first two years.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, like Maurice Hurst and his "heart problem" who fell all the way to the 5th and has the looks of being a very nice long-term piece after putting up 7.5 sacks in his first two years.
That's exactly right. It was like once he fell a certain distance teams were busy looking for their specific players instead of drafting the obvious talent right there.

It's why Dallas ends up taking so many players from their "visit" list. You'd think teams would have a board of 300 players. But in reality their boards are much smaller and the list of guys they really want is even smaller. You know they go into a draft thinking we need 2 corners, a DE, a DT, a WR. And then they go and try to draft those positions. Even worse their is probably a WR who they really like in the fourth round. So when the fourth round comes up if that guy is still there they will likely take him. Even if there is a DT who is better. Just as an example.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's exactly right. It was like once he fell a certain distance teams were busy looking for their specific players instead of drafting the obvious talent right there.

It's why Dallas ends up taking so many players from their "visit" list. You'd think teams would have a board of 300 players. But in reality their boards are much smaller and the list of guys they really want is even smaller. You know they go into a draft thinking we need 2 corners, a DE, a DT, a WR. And then they go and try to draft those positions. Even worse their is probably a WR who they really like in the fourth round. So when the fourth round comes up if that guy is still there they will likely take him. Even if there is a DT who is better. Just as an example.
Yea the whole thing seems preposterous and very closed-minded. You know that like 75% of the league probably removed Hurst from their boards based on the Combine medical even though he somehow managed to play football his entire life without incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom