If/when we don't win the division here's the list (in no order):

Derrick Brown
Javon Kinlaw
Grant Delpit
Isaiah Simmons

That's it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Delpit has struggled a bit this year playing through injuries but he's still been good and last year he looked like a top 5 prospect. Getting him at 12-15 or whatever would be a coup considering our safety situation for the last, what, 15 years?

GShock

DCC 4Life

Derrick Brown
Javon Kinlaw
Grant Delpit
Isaiah Simmons

That's it.
I hate the track record of first round DTs, but man Brown looks good.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Delpit has struggled a bit this year playing through injuries but he's still been good and last year he looked like a top 5 prospect. Getting him at 12-15 or whatever would be a coup considering our safety situation for the last, what, 15 years?
I mean it doesn't necissarily give us the boost in run stopping we need but you can't fix everything in one pick

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Derrick Brown
Javon Kinlaw
Grant Delpit
Isaiah Simmons

That's it.
I really like Kinlaw too. Something about a DT with some length to him that I love and Dallas has lacked since Irving/Hatcher were in the middle. At 6'6" 310 with productive sack numbers I think he would be a perfect blend of what we need. A guy who can clog running lanes and passing lanes with his length and has ability to get up field.

Simmons I'm not really sure I get the fit. Not big enough to be a D-lineman. We don't need a LBer with yet another high draft pick. Maybe he can play safety but at his size it would worry me. I get the concept of taking talented dudes and just finding a spot for them. Which is probably your thought here. Would just bum me out to take another LBer with another high draft pick.

I also really like AJ Epenesa. Maybe it's just a homer pick. But he was like the first 5 star recruit for Iowa ever. His dad was a NFL player. At 6'6" 280 pounds he can play DE or DT in situations. He has 9 sacks this year and had 10.5 last year. Iowa doesn't really let their DE's just fly up field either. They are responsible for stuffing the run and holding their man up first before rushing the passer. Which probably has kept his sacks number down. Still he has been a monster for Iowa. I've seen him sort of projected all over the first round but I love the guy.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Simmons is athletic enough to be a full-time safety, just in a hybrid/Derwin James type of way where he primarily plays in the slot and near the LOS as a blitzer. He's not going to be your single-high FS with sideline to sideline range but James isn't either, he's going to be the movable chess piece who can give you 4 sacks a year, blow up the run and cover TE's and maybe even some WR's out of the slot.

I do not consider him a pure LB just because he isn't a pure FS and will primarily play closer to the LOS. He's basically a more athletic Kam Chancellor with better slot coverage skills. Now, if he runs a 4.65 at the Combine that'll change things.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Epenesa would be fine although I'd have to know what type of philosophy we'd be going with along the DL, and in general I'd rather have Brown or Kinlaw. Epenesa looks like an ideal LDE who is going to set the edge vs. the run and kick inside to the interior in nickel/dime.

I hate to say it but he looks like a rich man's Tyrone Crawford and with Lawrence apparently more comfortable at LDE I don't love the fit in the 10-15 range.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Moved all of these posts and started a draft chatter thread. Sucks that we are doing it this early, but that's where we are.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Epenesa would be fine although I'd have to know what type of philosophy we'd be going with along the DL, and in general I'd rather have Brown or Kinlaw. Epenesa looks like an ideal LDE who is going to set the edge vs. the run and kick inside to the interior in nickel/dime.

I hate to say it but he looks like a rich man's Tyrone Crawford and with Lawrence apparently more comfortable at LDE I don't love the fit in the 10-15 range.
Epenesa is way more athletic than Crawford ever dreamed to be. But to an extent we would essentially have our LE and RE flipped compared to most NFL teams. Not sure it's really that big of a deal. Again, I just really like the player. He is an elite talent that came into college football and actually produced like an elite talent.

My problem with Crawford has always been that he is a slug out there at DE. He makes it way too easy for QBs to break contain. Makes it too easy for RBs to get the edge on him. Those aren't problems you would have with Epenesa.

midswat

... soon
Jauan Jennings.

But this team doesn’t prioritize football so hopefully for him he doesn’t come to Dallas.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jauan Jennings.

But this team doesn’t prioritize football so hopefully for him he doesn’t come to Dallas.
I now want this poor kid to fail because you are shamelessly overpromoting him.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The 2 mock drafts that I have looked at have us taking Grant Delpit S LSU.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Both Brown and Kinlaw going top 8 here....
Yeah but their mock is a little goofy to me. It's too early to say where these guys will go. And frankly if the chips fall that way then I take Delpit and look for Dlineman in the second round. Preferably Dlineman who actually started in college. I think Delpit could be a special NFL safety.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
2020 NFL Draft order: Top 20 set; Redskins secure second pick

This is a look at the first-round order for the 2020 NFL Draft, along with the top three needs for each team. The order is determined by record, using strength of schedule as the first tiebreaker (click here to see a full list of the draft-order tiebreakers). The draft order for playoff teams (21-32 in the order) is determined by the results of postseason play.
The order for the first 20 selections in the 2020 NFL Draft is set. Strength-of-schedule totals will change based on the outcome of Sunday night's 49ers-Seahawks game, but the order for the first 20 picks will not be affected. The Washington Redskins locked up the second overall pick on Sunday with their loss to the Dallas Cowboys (who ended up with the 17th pick), but the party will get started with the Cincinnati Bengals, who secured the top pick a week ago. Just 116 days until Cincy is officially on the clock in Las Vegas!
Keep in mind that the needs for each team listed below offer just a snapshot of the areas that project to require the most attention as of today. Draft needs for NFL teams don't crystallize until the spring, after free agency plugs some holes and creates others, but we are firm believers that it's not too soon to see what might be coming around the corner.
Arrows indicate how far up or down a team has moved relative to last week.

PICK

Bengals

Record: 2-14 (.553 strength of schedule)
Previous week: No. 1
Biggest needs: QB, OL, LB

While there are needs aplenty here, Heisman winner Joe Burrow appears determined to make the Bengals' decision at No. 1 an easy one as he continues his assault of college defenses.

PICK

Redskins

Record: 3-13 (.500)
Previous week: No. 2
Biggest needs: OL, pass catcher, defensive playmaker

This offensive line could look a lot different next season with three starters due to reach free agency this offseason (that doesn't even include Trent Williams, who has said he will never play for Washington again). Of course, this squad must also be targeting a complement for Terry McLaurin and help for a bottom-10 defense.

PICK

Lions

Record: 3-12-1 (.506)
Previous week: No. 3
Biggest needs: CB, edge rusher, OL

BDPA -- draft the best defensive player available. That should be Detroit's strategy in Round 1 after its D was routinely throttled in 2019.

PICK

Giants

Record: 4-12 (.473)
Previous week: No. 4
Biggest needs: Edge rusher, DB, OT

The G-Men ranked near the bottom of the league in both pass rush and coverage, per Pro Football Focus. This pass defense has to improve for the Giants to break their streak of drafting in the top 10, which is now up to three consecutive years.

PICK

Dolphins

Record: 5-11 (.484)
Previous week: No. 5
Biggest needs: QB, OL, edge rusher

Don't get me wrong, I love the 37-year-old FitzMagic as a placeholder QB, but this team -- which went a remarkable 5-4 from November on (beating two division champs along the way!) despite being stripped down to the studs -- needs to find a longer-term answer under center. Fortunately, it's brimming with draft capital (including three first-rounders in 2020).

PICK

Chargers

Record: 5-11 (.514)
Previous week: No. 7
Biggest needs: OL, QB, CB

The Chargers' O-line woes have been well-documented. The same goes for the looming decision on pending free agent Philip Rivers. Lower on the to-do list, this squad could use help at corner opposite Casey Hayward, and keep an eye on free-agent-to-be Hunter Henry, as well.

PICK

Panthers

Record: 5-11 (.549)
Previous week: No. 8
Biggest needs: DB, DL, OL

Until the Panthers decide Cam Newton is no longer their guy, we're keeping QB off the needs list (although Kyle Allen and Will Grier have made it abundantly clear that they are NOT the answer). Does Carolina want to start over at QB in an offseason when it also has eight defensive starters scheduled for free agency?

PICK

Cardinals

Record: 5-10-1 (.530)
Previous week: No. 9
Biggest needs: Defensive playmaker, OL, pass catcher

Finding a front-seven playmaker to complement Chandler Jones is a must. The rest of the needs outlook depends largely on what happens with their own top pending free agents -- Larry Fitzgerald, Kenyan Drake, D.J. Humphries and A.Q. Shipley.

PICK

Jaguars

Record: 6-10 (.484)
Previous week: No. 6
Biggest needs: Front-seven playmaker, CB, OL

There are needs as far as the eye can see for the Jags, so this list is tough to narrow. Jacksonville will have two first-round picks in each of the next two drafts to try to build it back up.

PICK

Browns

Record: 6-10 (.533)
Previous week: No. 12
Biggest needs: OL, S, LB

After an ugly finish to a disappointing season, John Dorsey has a few starters headed for free agency: left tackle Greg Robinson, S Damarious Randall and LB Joe Schobert. But protecting the former No. 1 overall pick has to be at the forefront of his mind.

PICK

Jets

Record: 7-9 (.473)
Previous week: No. 10
Biggest needs: OL, edge rusher, CB

It would be malpractice to continue sending Sam Darnold out behind one of the league's worst offensive lines, so we expect first-year GM Joe Douglas to make that area a focus. WR and RB, while not listed here, could end up as needs, depending on whether the Jets want to keep Le'Veon Bell and pending free agent Robby Anderson.

PICK

Raiders

Record: 7-9 (.482)
Previous week: No. 14
Biggest needs: WR, CB, edge rusher

A punchless offense played a big role in the Raiders' second-half fade, and the team's deficiencies at wide receiver were a major culprit. Jon Gruden badly needs a WR1.

PICK

Colts

Record: 7-9 (.492)
Previous week: No. 17
Biggest needs: QB, DL, pass catcher

It would not be stunning to see Indy go all-in on a quarterback in next year's draft given Jacoby Brissett's performance in the second half of the season. However, left tackle rises to the top of the needs list if the Colts don't re-sign pending free agent Anthony Castonzo.

PICK

Buccaneers

Record: 7-9 (.500)
Previous week: No. 18
Biggest needs: OL, DL, QB

Quarterback will remain on the needs list until the Bucs make a decision on Jameis Winston, who dazzles and confounds almost every week. He just completed the first 30 TD-30 INT season in NFL history by throwing a game-ending pick-six in OT, which is maybe the most fitting thing ever. The QB question lingers over everything else, but Tampa Bay might have voids to fill on both the O- and D-lines. RT Demar Dotson, DT Ndamukong Suh and edge rushers Jason Pierre-Paul and Carl Nassib are pending free agents, as is Shaquil Barrett, but Bruce Arians says he won't let him walk.

PICK

Broncos

Record: 7-9 (.510)
Previous week: No. 11
Biggest needs: OL, interior D-line, DB

Getting more help for a young QB is never a bad idea, and an O-line that is devoid of long-term answers outside of rookie Dalton Risner should be Priority No. 1. There likely will be holes to fill on defense with Justin Simmons, Chris Harris Jr., Shelby Harris and Derek Wolfe ticketed for free agency.

PICK

Falcons

Record: 7-9 (.545)
Previous week: No. 13
Biggest needs: Edge rusher, DB, OL

Fitting that the Falcons' lone QB hit in Week 17 -- a sack against Jameis Winston -- came from an interior D-lineman (Grady Jarrett). A team that has long needed more help off the edge despite making significant investments in the position, Atlanta might have to spend a first-round pick on an edge rusher for the third time in six years. And they'll be in the market for a tight end if they don't strike a new deal with Austin Hooper.

PICK

Cowboys

Record: 8-8 (.479)
Previous week: No. 15
Biggest needs: DB, pass catcher, DL

Question marks abound. You figure Dak Prescott is not going anywhere. Beyond the QB1, Amari Cooper and Byron Jones are the team's most notable pending free agents, but that list for Dallas is LONG.

PICK

Dolphins (via Steelers)

Steelers' record: 8-8 (.502)
Previous week: No. 19

The Dolphins acquired this pick in the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade. See No. 5 for the Dolphins' needs and the bottom section of this file for analysis of the Steelers' needs.

PICK

Raiders (via Bears)

Bears' record: 8-8 (.508)
Previous week: No. 16

The Raiders acquired this pick in the Khalil Mack trade. See No. 12 for the Raiders' needs and the bottom section of this file for analysis of the Bears' needs.

PICK

Jaguars (via Rams)

Rams' record: 9-7 (.536)
Previous week: No. 20

The Jaguars acquired this pick in the Jalen Ramsey trade. See No. 9 for the Jaguars' needs and the bottom section of this file for analysis of the Rams' needs.

PICK
PL
Eagles

Record: 9-7 (.457)
Previous week: Playoffs
Biggest needs: DB, WR, edge rusher

With Ronald Darby, Rodney McLeod and Jalen Mills in a contract year, Philly could be eyeing young talent at corner and safety. Adding more weaponry for Carson Wentz has to be high on the to-do list, as well ( Nelson Agholor also has an expiring deal).

PICK
PL
Titans

Record: 9-7 (.488)
Biggest needs: OL, edge rusher, RB

QB is not listed here because we're expecting Ryan Tannehill to return as the Titans' QB1. Rushing champion Derrick Henry's future seems a bit murkier. Even less certain is what 2020 holds for Tennessee's other pending free agents, including Jack Conklin, Logan Ryan and Tramaine Brock.

PICK
PL
Bills

Record: 10-6 (.461)
Biggest needs: WR, DE, OL

Accuracy is not Josh Allen's strong suit, which is why finding a go-up-and-get-it guy certainly wouldn't hurt. Beefing up the pass rush would make sense, too, especially if Shaq Lawson departs.

PICK
PL
Vikings

Record: 10-6 (.478)
Biggest needs: DB, OL, DL

The secondary figures to be the chief concern for Minnesota heading into the offseason, with Trae Waynes, Anthony Harris, Mackensie Alexander, Andrew Sendejo and Jayron Kearse playing on contracts that will expire in 2020 (not to mention, Xavier Rhodes' horrid 2019 campaign).

PICK
PL
Dolphins (via Texans)

Texans' record: 10-6 (.520)

The Dolphins acquired this pick in the Laremy Tunsil trade. See No. 5 for the Dolphins' needs and the bottom section of this file for analysis of the Texans' needs.

PICK
PL
Seahawks

Record: 11-4 (.528)
Biggest needs: DL, OL, DB

It's all about the trenches for Seattle this offseason. They need to avoid a mass exodus up front. Have a look at this list of pending free agents: Jadeveon Clowney, Mike Iupati, Quinton Jefferson, Germain Ifedi, Jarran Reed, Al Woods, Ezekiel Ansah, George Fant.

PICK
PL
Patriots

Record: 12-4 (.469)
Biggest needs: OL, TE, S

Obviously, QB rises to the top of the list if the GOAT doesn't return. For now, the focus should be up front on O -- the team's best offensive linemen (Joe Thuney) is a pending free agent -- and at tight end, where Gronk was never really replaced. Safety and linebacker could end up being high priorities, too.

PICK
PL
Chiefs

Record: 12-4 (.510)
Biggest needs: Front-seven playmaker, CB, OG

While the Chiefs' D has played great ball down the stretch, there's clearly room to improve at linebacker, and the team's strategy for the D-line also bears watching with Pro Bowl DT Chris Jones and DE Emmanuel Ogbah due to become free agents in 2020.

PICK
PL
49ers

Record: 12-3 (.508)
Biggest needs: DB, OL, WR

Jimmie Ward is due to become a free agent in 2020, and it's time to think about the future at offensive tackle with Joe Staley set to turn 36 before next season. With Emmanuel Sanders in the final year of his contract and Dante Pettis taking a step back in Year 2, WR has to be on the radar here.

PICK
PL
Packers

Record: 13-3 (.451)
Biggest needs: Pass catcher, OT, ILB

Brian Gutekunst needs to go back to the well at wide receiver with no one emerging as a consistent complement to Davante Adams. However, the biggest need of all might be offensive tackle if free-agent-to-be Bryan Bulaga exits.

PICK
PL
Saints

Record: 13-3 (.486)
Biggest needs: WR, DB, interior OL

Outside of finding a complement at wide receiver for Michael Thomas (an endeavor that led the team to give Antonio Brown, among other free-agent WRs, a look last week), the Saints might have a hole or two to fill in the secondary with Vonn Bell, Eli Apple, P.J. Williams and D.J. Swearinger playing on deals that will expire in 2020. Will pending free agent OG Andrus Peat, a former first-round pick, be re-signed?

PICK
PL
Ravens

Record: 14-2 (.494)
Biggest needs: Edge rusher, ILB, interior OL

Eric DeCosta was able to keep Marcus Peters from testing the free-agent waters in 2020. Will he be able to do the same with his top edge rusher, Matt Judon?

TEAMS WITHOUT A FIRST-ROUND PICK

Chicago Bears (8-8)
Biggest needs:
QB, OL, DB
First things first: Find someone who can step in as a competent QB1 if Mitchell Trubisky's struggles continue into 2020. Then the Bears can look to upgrade an offensive line that was ranked second to last by Football Outsiders, and potentially replace free-agent-to-be Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.
Houston Texans (10-6)
Biggest needs:
OL, CB, edge rusher
As is the case for most teams, the needs here will largely be dictated by the decisions made in free agency. The Texans re-upped with Whitney Mercilus on Saturday to keep him from hitting the market this offseason, but they could still use more off the edge, especially with J.J. Watt's history of missing time due to injury. Top corners Bradley Roby and Johnathan Joseph are in a contract year, as is D.J. Reader, one of the league's best interior D-linemen in 2019, and leading rusher Carlos Hyde.
Los Angeles Rams (9-7)
Biggest needs:
OL, edge rusher, DB
Andrew Whitworth, a 38-year-old pending free agent, says he intends to continue playing in 2020. He remains the team's top O-lineman, but the Rams still have to be searching for a long-term answer on Jared Goff's blindside. L.A.'s front five was a disaster in 2019, and lead edge rusher Dante Fowler, who's in a walk year, may have priced himself out of the team's range with his performance this season.
Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8)
Biggest needs:
Edge rusher, QB, OL
The Steelers' front seven could take a huge hit if Bud Dupree and Javon Hargrave, both ticketed for free agency, don't return. I don't think this team wants to go through another season with Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges backing up Ben Roethlisberger, and it's time to add more young pieces to a veteran O-line that is a year away from LT Alejandro Villanueva and LG Ramon Foster reaching the market.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That win today was shitty. Cost us a few spots. According to this, we would have been at #12, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom