2020 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I need to see what timeline they're floating out there for spring football. Because I assume they're talking about playing from late-Feb thru early-May.

That seems crazy as hell to ask players to play a full 10 game season then in roughly two months ramp up training for the fall season. Seems like they'd need at least 3 months for their bodies to fully heal from the previous season.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Just let the players play if they want to. IF they don't then let them have a free redshirt year. This whole thing has become stupid. Letting college players play football isn't going to hurt anyone except a player or staff member who gets sick. And the players know the risk if they want to play. Hell some of those people are still going to get sick without the football. It's crazy to me that some think you can just have everyone shelter in a bubble and the virus will just go away.
Apparently it sounds like it's mostly about liability. If that's the case I don't see why they can't just give kids the option as you mentioned. If they opt to play have them and their parents sign some type of liability waiver. I know I'm probably over-simplifying it but that seems like a viable option. Kinda reminds me of what we went through with football and brain injuries a few years back. Players were provided the information then made the decision that was best for them.

Also, from what I've been seeing from some of the big conferences like the SEC, players are being allowed to maintain their scholarship even if they opt out.

I still think it comes down to public relations though. I think that's a big part of what's driving their decision.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I need to see what timeline they're floating out there for spring football. Because I assume they're talking about playing from late-Feb thru early-May.

That seems crazy as hell to ask players to play a full 10 game season then in roughly two months ramp up training for the fall season. Seems like they'd need at least 3 months for their bodies to fully heal from the previous season.
That is why if there is a spring season, I don't see the reason to even have a full ten games. Make it to what is best for the athletes.

But then again, big college football is going to want their ten.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Apparently it sounds like it's mostly about liability. If that's the case I don't see why they can't just give kids the option as you mentioned. If they opt to play have them and their parents sign some type of liability waiver. I know I'm probably over-simplifying it but that seems like a viable option. Kinda reminds me of what we went through with football and brain injuries a few years back. Players were provided the information then made the decision that was best for them.

Also, from what I've been seeing some of the big conferences like the SEC, players are being allowed to maintain their scholarship even if they opt out.

I still think it comes down to public relations though. I think that's a big part of what's driving their decision.
The NCAA already said hell no to waivers of any sort.

Cotton

Staff member

My guess would be this is all talk to mitigate the outrage. I can't even imagine that they would attempt a spring season immediately followed by prep for fall.

Cotton

Staff member
Well that answers that.

Do you have any idea why it's off the table?
I'm not sure of their reasoning. But, when they put out notice, it was not presented as being negotiable.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Someone is forgetting 2008 when we were one loss away from playing for a national championship.
I said “really haven’t”. And, it also means that you haven’t done shit in over a decade.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Props to the Big 12 Conference for recognizing that the agenda of the country is more important than the agenda of nervous nellies who don’t have the intelligence to see that the paranoia being fed to them is manipulating their lives and making puppets of them.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't care if they want to pass a bill giving athletes the right to profit off their likeness or, you know, get jobs and make money.

But let's leave the idiotic political points like "Guaranteed healthcare," out of it. They get that already from being part of the team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love how they say NCAA Athletes. As though the women's gymnatics team needs to get paid while the school is losing money on the program. You'd end up with schools cutting everything that isn't profitable enough to pay the athletes.

midswat

... soon
I love how they say NCAA Athletes. As though the women's gymnatics team needs to get paid while the school is losing money on the program. You'd end up with schools cutting everything that isn't profitable enough to pay the athletes.
Exactly. Basically only football and basketball make money for colleges. And not both for every school.

for example, UConn cancelled their season because their football program doesn’t make them money. Their basketball does. Bet they won’t cancel that.

if schools have to “pay their athletes” then say goodbye to college baseball,golf, gymnastics,swimming, track etc etcetc

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NDSU is not going to play until the Spring.

Your move, Trey Lance.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Wouldn't be a smart move for Trey Lance to try to play a season that close to the NFL draft. I believe he's already considered a mid-to-high first round pick.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I thought the SEC initially decided to not have a fall season. Did they have a change of heart or am I mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom