One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yesterday was National Signing Day and it barely registered a blip on the radar.

I guess that December signing period has officially taken over as the primary period to solidify recruiting classes.

Anyhow, in case you all were wondering, Oklahoma did well for themselves again. They signed two 4-star recruits on the defensive side of the ball. A DE and a CB. The best thing is both of these guys have ideal size for their positions. They're the type of athletes you'd expect to see on top SEC defenses.

I can't wait to see what this defense looks like in 2021 after we've had about 3 full recruiting cycles under the new defensive regime.

I've already penciled us in as National Champs that season.

Rattler will be a 2021 Heisman finalist with a group of 5-star WR and 4-star TEs at his disposal. And that defense should be one of the stronger units in the nation.

Soon.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
We had our 2nd top 10 class in a row :towel

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't normally pay attention to recruiting classes. Do these rankings ever correlate to any real success?

:smitty

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't normally pay attention to recruiting classes. Do these rankings ever correlate to any real success?

:smitty
Not exactly. You can go to a Rivals top 100 four years from now and barely recognize many of the names.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah most draft picks were never 5 star recruits.
It is interesting to check out. Eventually most of the top guys weed themselves out.

Injury, bad grades, transfers, crime etc.

I personally don't get the whole signing day thing. These are literally kids.

They are not mature mentally or even physically. Assigning rankings to kids like that is just silly.

It is also why I laugh at people puffing out their chests after a strong recruiting class. It does not mean a thing.

1bigfan13

Staff member

Absolutely.

There's this fairly new metric called 'blue chip ratio' that pretty much aligns with teams' on field success.

Blue chip ratio is the percentage of 4 and 5 star recruits that make up a team's total roster over a 4 year recruiting period. Teams that have a blue chip ratio of 50% or higher are considered elite and legit title contenders. Teams who have a ratio of under 50% can pretty much be written off.

It's a pretty exclusive group in that +50% territory. Normally there are only 10-15 teams who reach the mark and every year teams from that group of teams have been involved in the CFB playoffs or BCS title game.

Below are the 16 teams from the 2019 season whose rosters were comprised of at least 50% 4& 5 star recruits.

Since it's from the 2019 season, these percentages are showing the percentage of each team's roster from 2016-2019 that are 4 and 5 star recruits.

Ohio State81%
Alabama80%
Georgia79%
LSU64%
Florida State61%
Clemson60%
USC60%
Penn State60%
Michigan60%
Texas60%
Oklahoma60%
Auburn58%
Washington54%
Notre Dame54%
Florida53%
Miami51%

Here's some other good information on it if anyone is interested. Blue-Chip Ratio 2019

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It seems to me that you want a lot of blue chippers, because there's strength in numbers and the more you have the more you'll find some that work out. But individually it's kind of a crap shoot. So having a top 20 or 30 class is important, but 3rd ranked versus 9th ranked for example is kind of meaningless. And it doesn't account for the ability of a staff to develop and improve these players either.

So it seems like it kind of matters but kind of doesn't.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It seems to me that you want a lot of blue chippers, because there's strength in numbers and the more you have the more you'll find some that work out. But individually it's kind of a crap shoot. So having a top 20 or 30 class is important, but 3rd ranked versus 9th ranked for example is kind of meaningless. And it doesn't account for the ability of a staff to develop and improve these players either.

So it seems like it kind of matters but kind of doesn't.
Yeah individually it is kind of hit or miss.

Two fairly recent examples that come to mind are Patrick Mahomes and Mario Edwards Jr.

Mahomes was only viewed as a 3 star recruit, which is why he landed at icky Texas Tech, and Mario Edwards Jr. was hyped as the no. 1 overall recruit in his class.

Mahomes goes on to have a very good college career and is now the best QB in the NFL, whereas Edwards didn't come close to living up to the hype at FSU and is currently a mid-tier JAG in the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who was the last number one overall recruit to do anything, Clowney?
Myles Garrett was pretty highly ranked wasn't he? I don't know who is number 1 most years. Plus different services rate guys wildly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom