2020 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Sheesh, Its being paid but in your opinion its not being paid enough, to say its not compensation (aka "pay/paid") is nonsense. Its not merely food and shelter either, its a free education that has become very expensive if one had to actually earn the dollars required to pay for it.

Skipping the process of issuing dollars to the athlete he has to pay tax on and then immediately turnaround and pay for the room, board and education doesnt magically cause this transaction not to be considered pay.

What you want is them to have a cash stipend on top of their paid education, room & board which I have no problem with but saying they are not paid will never be true no matter how many times someone tries to twist logic into the nonsensical pretzel required to claim they are not paid
So we agree they aren't being paid.

:art

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Let me guess, they're eyeing Nov. 4th as the start date

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
we agree you have your head up your ass
I was just joking with your sensitive ass. Untwist your panties.

And compensation isn't the same as being paid CASH. Which is what I was talking about initially.

No one has ever argued that college athletes aren't being compensated for playing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Won't a shitload of players opt out to prepare for the combine?

Cotton

Staff member
Pac 12 has officially called off football, as well.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
The problem with college players being “paid” through education and medical coverage is that the system is a monopoly. Play college ball or don’t even bother trying to get to the NFL. The NFL itself is a legal nightmare when it comes to speaking about a monopoly.

Having said that, the system is what it is and it is just now gaining some impetus to change into a more equitable system for players. Ridiculous that to this point the player is unable to benefit from their own name or likeness.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem with college players being “paid” through education and medical coverage is that the system is a monopoly. Play college ball or don’t even bother trying to get to the NFL. The NFL itself is a legal nightmare when it comes to speaking about a monopoly.

Having said that, the system is what it is and it is just now gaining some impetus to change into a more equitable system for players. Ridiculous that to this point the player is unable to benefit from their own name or likeness.
I honestly don't care if football players got a stipend or whatever. I certainly think EA Sports should be able to use players likeness and create a NCAA Football game again, but that's about as far as I really care.

It's interesting though and how far do you go with it? Not all NFL college programs can afford to pay players the same. Alabama makes far more off their football program than others. So do their players deserve more money? And if College players get paid why not highschool players? Those highschool players who play for the love of the game sell a bunch of tickets to games that those schools pocket. Should they not also get this "benefit"? They won't get that college roster spot if they aren't a star in high school. All the same arguments can be made. At some point it just feels like it taints the sport and gets guys to play for money instead of the love of the game. I'd rather just leave school sports teams alone.

If anything the NFL needs to do away with the 3 year rule and let guys go get paid whenever they are good enough and want to be paid. Don't mess with school sports.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just let the players play if they want to. IF they don't then let them have a free redshirt year. This whole thing has become stupid. Letting college players play football isn't going to hurt anyone except a player or staff member who gets sick. And the players know the risk if they want to play. Hell some of those people are still going to get sick without the football. It's crazy to me that some think you can just have everyone shelter in a bubble and the virus will just go away.

Cotton

Staff member
What?? Iowa was to be our home opener. Are they completely changing the order of schedule? We weren't supposed to play UT until October 24th.

Cotton

Staff member

We have never had a home game this late. Matter of fact, in 20 years I have been at Tech we have never played a non-bowl home game in December. But, we now don't have a home game on Thanksgiving weekend, so that's good.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

We have never had a home game this late. Matter of fact, in 20 years I have been at Tech we have never played a non-bowl home game in December. But, we now don't have a home game on Thanksgiving weekend, so that's good.
To be fair, you really haven’t played in any relevant bowl games in December, either.

Cotton

Staff member
To be fair, you really haven’t played in any relevant bowl games in December, either.
Someone is forgetting 2008 when we were one loss away from playing for a national championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom