2018 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why?

They're trying to get something for someone they know will be gone after next year and seems to want out to begin with. They seem motivated to start fresh on defense.
They are not just going to give him away, which if they traded him for a 4th and 5th, they would.

It is not that dire yet. He may not want to be there, but he is not causing problems. He just feels unloved.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They are not just going to give him away, which if they traded him for a 4th and 5th, they would.

It is not that dire yet. He may not want to be there, but he is not causing problems. He just feels unloved.
They're already floating that they want a 2 or 3, if they're truly motivated sellers then that price could easily drop to a 4+5 as the draft approaches.

If they want market value for him then I'd wait a year and sign him for nothing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Uhh, what did we do with Irving? Second round tender?
I don't believe that has been announced just yet. Stephen said last week that it would be either a 1st or 2nd but that it hadn't been decided yet.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't believe that has been announced just yet. Stephen said last week that it would be either a 1st or 2nd but that it hadn't been decided yet.
I really don't know what they are waiting for though.

If I am betting, they will go low, try to save a couple million and hope someone signs him for a 2nd rounder.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys Interested In CB Trumaine Johnson
March 7th, 2018 at 8:54pm CST
by Dallas Robinson

The Cowboys are among the clubs with interest in free agent cornerback Trumaine Johnson, according to Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com.

Johnson is the premier cornerback scheduled to hit the open market next week, and he’s arguably the best defensive free agent on the board overall. Therefore, it should come as no surprise if the 28-year-old is able to land $12-13MM annually on his next contract, and that figure could a be problem for Dallas. The Cowboys currently project to have just $697K in cap space when free agency opens on March 14, and while they could increase that total by cutting veterans such as wide receiver Dez Bryant, cornerback Orlando Scandrick, and tight end James Hanna, or by working out an extension for guard Zack Martin, Johnson would likely be a tight squeeze.

Dallas fielded a middle-of-the-pack defense in 2017, as the club ranked eighth in yards per attempt allowed, 21st in passing DVOA, and 28th in passer rating allowed. After allowing Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr to walk during last year’s free agent period, and subsequently releasing their own signee in Nolan Carroll, the Cowboys allowed youth to take over in their secondary. Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis, Xavier Woods, and Chidobe Awuzie are each age-24 or younger and played at least 300 defensive snaps a year ago.

Johnson would give the Cowboys a true No. 1 corner, but not only will he be expensive, he’ll garner interest from a number of clubs. The Rams don’t figure to re-sign Johnson after acquiring fellow cornerback Marcus Peters from the Chiefs last month, but the Raiders and 49ers have already been mentioned as possible free agent suitors.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah when in doubt claim the Cowboys are interested to drive up the asking cost.

No way in hell we are actually making a run at him.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah when in doubt claim the Cowboys are interested to drive up the asking cost.

No way in hell we are actually making a run at him.
Probably not, but its also laughable for these writers to claim Dallas can't do "X" because they don't have any cap space. That has never been an issue for Dallas, the issue is that the braintrust simply refuses to spend money on productive FA's and instead choose to roll the dice on shitty 2nd tier players to fill in the gaps.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Probably not, but its also laughable for these writers to claim Dallas can't do "X" because they don't have any cap space. That has never been an issue for Dallas, the issue is that the braintrust simply refuses to spend money on productive FA's and instead choose to roll the dice on shitty 2nd tier players to fill in the gaps.
I don't blame the writers.

It is a hell of a lot easier to say that Dallas simply doesn't have the space versus exposing that this franchise is perpetually clueless, lazy and is doing this shit on purpose to cover up past mistakes.

That is way too much to write about. They have deadlines.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't blame the writers.

It is a hell of a lot easier to say that Dallas simply doesn't have the space versus exposing that this franchise is perpetually clueless, lazy and is doing this shit on purpose to cover up past mistakes.

That is way too much to write about. They have deadlines.
Let him who would give up his spot on Jerry's bangbus cast the first stone

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Let him who would give up his spot on Jerry's bangbus cast the first stone
I don't know if you guys remember Tim McMahon, but he was a DMN writer for the Cowboys.

He was pretty damn critical and had legitimate things to say.

Got shifted to Mavericks coverage.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't know if you guys remember Tim McMahon, but he was a DMN writer for the Cowboys.

He was pretty damn critical and had legitimate things to say.

Got shifted to Mavericks coverage.
Yep I do, and exactly my point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah we move money around at will. The cap is designed to make it easy.

junk

Not So New Member
Cowboys Interested In CB Trumaine Johnson
March 7th, 2018 at 8:54pm CST
by Dallas Robinson

The Cowboys are among the clubs with interest in free agent cornerback Trumaine Johnson, according to Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com.

Johnson is the premier cornerback scheduled to hit the open market next week, and he’s arguably the best defensive free agent on the board overall. Therefore, it should come as no surprise if the 28-year-old is able to land $12-13MM annually on his next contract, and that figure could a be problem for Dallas. The Cowboys currently project to have just $697K in cap space when free agency opens on March 14, and while they could increase that total by cutting veterans such as wide receiver Dez Bryant, cornerback Orlando Scandrick, and tight end James Hanna, or by working out an extension for guard Zack Martin, Johnson would likely be a tight squeeze.

Dallas fielded a middle-of-the-pack defense in 2017, as the club ranked eighth in yards per attempt allowed, 21st in passing DVOA, and 28th in passer rating allowed. After allowing Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr to walk during last year’s free agent period, and subsequently releasing their own signee in Nolan Carroll, the Cowboys allowed youth to take over in their secondary. Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis, Xavier Woods, and Chidobe Awuzie are each age-24 or younger and played at least 300 defensive snaps a year ago.

Johnson would give the Cowboys a true No. 1 corner, but not only will he be expensive, he’ll garner interest from a number of clubs. The Rams don’t figure to re-sign Johnson after acquiring fellow cornerback Marcus Peters from the Chiefs last month, but the Raiders and 49ers have already been mentioned as possible free agent suitors.
Former Montana player. I endorse this move.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This idiotic front office fiddles while NFC races ahead to get better.

Top Bottom