2018 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That's right. Got my Longhorn guys confused.

Hell, maybe it was Acho too.
Okafor a minute I thought I was mistaken.

Now you ain't gonna be able to get Emmanuel Acho mind.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Reminds me of the time I was drunk at a live fantasy football draft and it was in the third round and I said, "Wow, I'm going have to steal Brady with this pick".

Turns out he was long gone. :lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reminds me of the time I was drunk at a live fantasy football draft and it was in the third round and I said, "Wow, I'm going have to steal Brady with this pick".

Turns out he was long gone. :lol
This is even worse. It would be like drafting Brady after he is retired from the NFL.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Rumor mill special: Cowboys interested in possible trade for Aqib Talib.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Would rather stick with the young ones we have.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That makes zero sense. The last thing we need is a high priced corner for this fucking defense. Hell corner is about the last position I'm worried about at this point.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That makes zero sense. The last thing we need is a high priced corner for this fucking defense. Hell corner is about the last position I'm worried about at this point.
A veteran who knows what he’s doing would be appreciated. The kids need someone to show them, and Scandrick wasn’t that guy.

At Talibs age, I doubt he’s demanding back-breaking cash.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
A guy who could play the NT spot in our defense though and seems like a perfect fit is Harrison Phillips. I don't know if he makes it to our second round pick. I could see him making it there though and talk about a perfect fit for our defense. The guy had over 100 tackles this past year at a NT for Stanford. The guy is like the poster boy for having a good motor. He isn't massive at like 6'3" 303 but I'm sure he could get into the 315 range in the NFL. But he is a monster against the run. He isn't going to wow you with his pass rush ability but he isn't a slug either.

If I had to pick someone who would be perfect in Dallas it would be that guy. I think he will slip on draft day but I don't know if it will be far enough for the Cowboys to consider him.
If he’s another Kawann Short it would be a great pickup. But hard to see him slip to our pick in the 2nd in that case.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
10 wide receivers the Dallas Cowboys could target in free agency
By Brandon George , Staff Writer

How aggressively the Cowboys pursue receivers in free agency will come down to their offseason evaluation of Dez Bryant's future.

Bryant is coming off three consecutive disappointing seasons after he signed his five-year, $70 million contract extension.

The Cowboys have already paid Bryant $45 million of his deal and could look to release him if they approach him about taking a pay cut and he refuses. Dallas still owes Bryant $12.5 million in both 2018 and 2019 and that comes with a $16.5 million salary cap hit in each of those two seasons.

Regardless of what the Cowboys decide with Bryant, they still could use another outside receiving threat to stretch the field. The Cowboys need to connect on more deep passes to help keep defenses from crowding the line of scrimmage to stop running back Ezekiel Elliott.

The Cowboys re-signed No. 2 receiver Terrance Williams in free agency a year ago on a four-year, $17 million deal. But he didn't even have a touchdown catch in 2017.

Outside receiver Brice Butler will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason and will likely move on.

Cowboys slot receiver Cole Beasley also had a rough 2017. It was the worst season of Beasley's career other than his rookie year of 2012. Beasley finished last season with just 36 catches for 314 yards and four touchdowns.

The Cowboys hired Sanjay Lal as their new receivers coach last month in hopes of getting more from their receiving corps in 2018. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Lal was one of the "most sought-after" assistant coaches this offseason. Jones believes Lal, who replaced Derek Dooley, can make a big difference for Dallas next season.

Eric Decker, Titans (6-foot-3, 214 pounds)

FOXBOROUGH, MA - JANUARY 13: Eric Decker (#87) of the Tennessee Titans runs the ball after a catch as he's defended by Elandon Roberts (#52) of the New England Patriots during the second quarter of an AFC divisional round playoff game at Gillette Stadium on Jan. 13, 2018, in Foxborough, Mass. (Photo by Adam Glanzman/Getty Images)

Eric Decker could come at a reduced rate after back-to-back disappointing seasons.

Decker's lone season in Tennessee didn't go as planned. He finished with 54 catches for 563 yards and only one touchdown.

The Jets released Decker last June after he played in just three games in 2016. He was placed on injured reserve because of a shoulder injury.

Decker, who turns 31 next month, has posted three 1,000-yard seasons since 2012. From 2012 to 2014 with the Broncos and Jets, Decker averaged 81.5 catches for 1,085 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Also, new Cowboys receivers coach Sanjay Lal is familiar with Decker. In Decker's first year with the Jets in 2014, Lal was his receivers coach. Decker started 15 games that season and caught 74 passes for 962 yards and five touchdowns.

Sammy Watkins, Los Angeles Rams (6-1, 211)

Sammy Watkins would immediately provide the Cowboys with a big-play threat who still hasn't peaked. Watkins has the talent to flourish in the right situation.

Watkins, who turns 25 in June, turned in a disappointing season last year after the Rams traded for him in August. The Bills had declined Watkins' fifth-year option on his contract in May and were looking to move him. Watkins finished with 39 catches for 593 yards and eight touchdowns for the Rams.

The Bills made Watkins the fourth overall pick in 2014 out of Clemson. He started every game as a rookie and caught 65 passes for 982 yards and six touchdowns. The following season in 2015, Watkins had 60 receptions for 1,047 yards and nine touchdowns.

Watkins has averaged 15.9 yards per catch in his four seasons in the NFL.

Jordan Matthews, Bills (6-3, 212)

Jordan Matthews could come at a discount, considering he's still recovering from knee and ankle surgeries in December that ended his 2017 season in Buffalo.

Matthews, who turns 26 in July, also underwent thumb surgery last year.

But the belief is that the talented receiver still hasn't peaked yet in the NFL and could fit in nicely as a No. 2 option.

Matthews became the Eagles' top receiver before Philadelphia traded him to the Bills in August. He had only 25 catches for 282 yards in 10 games with the Bills.

Over his first three seasons with the Eagles, Matthews caught 225 passes for 2,673 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Donte Moncrief, Colts (6-2, 216)

Donte Moncrief was a better receiver when quarterback Andrew Luck was still healthy and playing. Go figure.

But Moncrief could be an option for the Cowboys, especially considering that his receivers coach in Indianapolis last year was Sanjay Lal, who is now the Cowboys' receivers coach.

Could Mississippi State ex Dak Prescott stomach throwing passes to Moncrief, a former Ole Miss standout?

Moncrief, who turns 25 in August, caught 26 passes for 391 yards and two touchdowns last season. In 2015, he had 64 receptions for 733 yards and six touchdowns.

If Moncrief's numbers don't wow you, consider this: His production over the past three seasons (120 catches for 1,431 yards and 15 touchdowns) isn't far off from that of Dez Bryant (150 catches for 2,035 yards and 17 touchdowns) during the same stretch.

Mike Wallace, Ravens (6-0, 200)

If the Cowboys are indeed looking for a deep threat in 2018, Mike Wallace could be their guy.

The veteran can win deep. But how deep will Wallace want to go into the pockets of his suitors in free agency?

Wallace, who will be 32 in August, began his career with Pittsburgh before making stops in Miami, Minnesota and spending the past two seasons in Baltimore.

Wallace led the Ravens in receiving in each of his two seasons there. He had 72 catches for 1,017 yards in 2016 and 52 receptions for 748 yards last year.

Wallace has three 1,000-yard seasons in his nine-year career. He has 8,072 career receiving yards and 57 touchdowns on 538 catches.

Wallace, also an Ole Miss ex, is from Dak Prescott's home state of Louisiana.

The next five

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Watkins, Richardson, Robinson or Moncrief. Big fat feh to the rest.

Cotton

Staff member
Watkins, Richardson, Robinson or Moncrief. Big fat feh to the rest.
The only other one I would be interested is Marqise Lee.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Former Seahawk project. Obvious Kris Richard pet.

Cotton

Staff member

Former Seahawk project. Obvious Kris Richard pet.
Quarterback turned safety. Super athletic. Bounced around from team to team. Doubt he makes the second cut.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Five Free Agent OL The Cowboys Could Target In Free Agency

By Brandon George , Staff Writer
Contact Brandon George
on Twitter:
@DMN_George

Executive vice president Stephen Jones said last month the Cowboys won't be big spenders in free agency in March. Instead, Dallas will continue to work the fringes in an effort to find a bargain.

One position, however, that could be a priority for the Cowboys in free agency is finding a reliable swing tackle after the Chaz Green experiment went awry in 2017.
Moving Green from guard to tackle didn't work out well, particularly when he gave up six sacks against the Falcons in starting for Tyron Smith.

The Cowboys will also need to decide how to fill their starting left guard position with Jonathan Cooper set to become an unrestricted free agent.

The Cowboys could turn to the draft for their future starting left guard or they could try to re-sign Cooper or another guard in free agency.

What's for certain is that the Cowboys will have changes up front after the offensive line underperformed last season despite three starters again earning Pro Bowl bids. The Cowboys fired offensive line coach Frank Pollack last month and replaced him with long-time Cincinnati Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander.

Here's a look at five free agent offensive linemen the Cowboys could target in free agency:

Cameron Fleming, Patriots (6-6, 320):
Cameron Fleming started at right tackle for the Patriots in the Super Bowl earlier this month.

He could be in high demand come free agency, but if a team doesn't pay him starter money he'd be an ideal swing tackle for the Cowboys. Fleming has started games for New England at both left and right tackle, protecting quarterback Tom Brady.

Fleming started 20 of the 47 games he played in during his four seasons with the Patriots.

He's also a native Texan, having been born in Fort Hood. He'll turn 26 in September and played in college at Stanford.

Andre Smith, Bengals (6-4, 330):
Andre Smith has spent eight seasons of his nine-year career under the tutelage of new Cowboys offensive line coach Paul Alexander.

So why not more?

The Cowboys hired Alexander, the long-time Bengals offensive line coach, to replace Frank Pollack last month.

Smith spent his first seven seasons in Cincinnati before signing with the Vikings in 2016. Injuries limited him to only four games in Minnesota. He re-signed with the Bengals in 2017 on a one-year deal to play right guard but wound up as the team's swing tackle.

Smith eventually began staring at right tackle until his season was ended with a sprained knee in December.

Smith, 31, would provide the Cowboys with not only the swing tackle they covet but also give them depth at backup guard. He played in college at Alabama. He was the No. 6 overall pick in 2009.

Chris Hubbard, Steelers (6-4, 295):
Chris Hubbard could be in line for a bigger pay day than the Cowboys want to pay for a potential swing tackle after he started a career-high 10 games in 2017.
Hubbard has been a constant along the Steelers' offensive line the last four seasons. He mostly played at right tackle last season but has also played at guard and center at times for Pittsburgh.

Hubbard's strength is his run blocking, and he helped pave the way for Le'Veon Bell to rush for almost 1,300 yards in 2017.
His versatility would give the Cowboys a player who could give them depth at every position on the line.

Hubbard, who turns 27 in April, could be out of the Cowboys' price range, however, if a team pursues him as a starter in free agency.

Trey Hopkins, Bengals (6-3, 310):
Trey Hopkins is another offensive lineman who played under Paul Alexander the last two seasons.

Alexander, the new Cowboys' offensive line coach who came over from the Bengals, could pursue Hopkins in free agency because of his versatility.
Hopkins can play at guard or tackle. But he's best suited for guard. He played right guard last season for the Bengals and started in 12 of his 13 games.
Hopkins, who will turn 26 in July, is from Houston and played college football at Texas.

Eric Winston, Bengals (6-7, 310):
Veteran offensive tackle Eric Winston has spent his last four seasons in Cincinnati also playing under Paul Alexander, the Cowboys' new offensive line coach.

Winston won't likely have many suitors in free agency because he turns 35 in November, but he could be a fit for the Cowboys as a swing tackle who would be a strong locker room presence.

Winston, the NFL Players Association president, played in eight games last year for the Bengals and started two after right tackle Jake Fisher was lost for the season.
Five years ago, Winston and the Cowboys shared mutual interest in free agency but he ended up signing with Arizona in 2013 and that was the last time he started all 16 games in a season.

Signing with the Cowboys would also give Winston the chance to end his NFL career in his home state. He played in high school at Midland Lee.
-------------

I wonder if any of these guys are cheap enough and suck enough for us to sign.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The only other one I would be interested is Marqise Lee.
Lee is a guy I thought about, but unless they want to get rid of Terrence Williams, I don't see how he would be able to carve out a role given how we tend to make the talent fit a slot.

They need speed and playmaking ability, not another possession receiver.

Cotton

Staff member
Lee is a guy I thought about, but unless they want to get rid of Terrence Williams, I don't see how he would be able to carve out a role given how we tend to make the talent fit a slot.

They need speed and playmaking ability, not another possession receiver.
Oh, you misunderstood. I want Lee to replace Williams. He is much more reliable and consistent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
-------------

I wonder if any of these guys are cheap enough and suck enough for us to sign.
Maybe for swing tackle but I'd as soon resign Cooper for LG before any of those schlubs. And frankly I hope that we can somehow revive Chaz as the swing tackle. He was much better in 2016. And then we tried to make him a guard this past year. Of course when he lost that we just threw him back out at LT assuming he'd have no problem. We all know how that turned out. I just hope maybe with a full offseason of working strictly at OT maybe he can get back to that 2016 form. But obviously we need one of these golden oldies in case it doesn't happen.

I'd like to draft a swing tackle this year at minimum because Chaz's rookie deal is about to expire but it's such a weak OT draft that I don't want to force it either. I certainly don't want to take someone like Alex Cappa in the third round when I don't think he is anywhere near ready to play OT in the NFL.

Last edited:

junk

Not So New Member
I'm amazed Winston is still playing. Thought he retired like 5 years ago.

Top Bottom