2018 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

GShock

DCC 4Life
Mosher with a brutal take down of our free agent efforts

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mosher with a brutal take down of our free agent efforts

Yeah I think our college scouting has been excellent but our pro scouting has been bad to say the least. Our best free agents have been guys like David Irving and Cooper who I'm sure most of that was based off their college scouting. Which I think our team instead views it as the "dangers" of signing guys who other teams don't want. The classic Spags argument which is bullshit. We just don't do our jobs when it comes to finding useful free agents.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah I think our college scouting has been excellent but our pro scouting has been bad to say the least. Our best free agents have been guys like David Irving and Cooper who I'm sure most of that was based off their college scouting. Which I think our team instead views it as the "dangers" of signing guys who other teams don't want. The classic Spags argument which is bullshit. We just don't do our jobs when it comes to finding useful free agents.
And, guess who our director of pro scouting is? That's right, the ginger's brother, Judd.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That Crawford deal was brutal.
I remember when he blew his achilles a few years ago and Steve called it a "devastating" blow to the team. :lol

See the thread yesterday about these guys not knowing how to evaluate and overvaluing their own players.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Agreed, pro scouting desperately needs an overhaul. Remember when we were fresh off signing Laurent Robinson and Tony Fiametta and everyone was like "OMG WILL MCCLAY PWNS PRO SCOUTING!!!!" ?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We’re always searching the clearance rack. Don’t blame the guy buying groceries if you’re handing him a twenty and telling him to not spend it all in one place.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We’re always searching the clearance rack. Don’t blame the guy buying groceries if you’re handing him a twenty and telling him to not spend it all in one place.
That is definitely true. If you only pick through the scraps no one else wanted you can't have high expectations.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Its funny how college vs pro scouting can be so inconsistent. I think its gotta be the Garrett effect.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They can still work something out after that. Although I'm sure there is a lot of posturing going on right now. That's just normal in negotiations.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Dallas: Earl Thomas
Seattle: 137th overall, 173rd overall

Who says no?
I would be ok with it, its better than anything we are going to draft in those spots.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Seattle knows they aren't keeping Thomas past this season so I'd expect them to take what they can get the closer the draft nears. The Cowboys should be confident he'd resign here for maybe about 8 a year, and with guys like Weddle playing at a Pro Bowl level into his early 30's that's a move I'd make.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
People are really really going to be disappointed when Dallas not only does not trade for Thomas, but they don't go after James either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
People are really really going to be disappointed when Dallas not only does not trade for Thomas, but they don't go after James either.
Oh I won't be upset when we don't do either. I don't expect Dallas to really get wither guy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well, they do, for starters.
Why?

They're trying to get something for someone they know will be gone after next year and seems to want out to begin with. They seem motivated to start fresh on defense.

Top Bottom