2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Romo thing I get. But dude, give it up with the Bryant thing.

He is absolutely not even close to being an upper tier WR in this league.

Oh wait, you think Prescott sucks and that is why he can't produce.

Nevermind.
Dez has never been a wide open kind of WR, and Dak’s spent most of his career throwing to guys who appear open and are in single coverage.

He’s not capable of the back shoulder throws, safety lookoffs, or most other looking/throwing-them-open techniques.

Phillip Rivers repeatedly hit guys time against us who were flat-out covered. Dak ain’t that guy, and might never get there under Garrett.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Perhaps Dallas and Dez need to part ways after this season.

It's pretty obvious that Dez and Dak can'y get on the same page and it really doesn't matter whose fault that is. It's just a point of frustration for everyone.

Is there any trade partner out there who we can get something out of it?

I still refuse to believe his career is ove before he has reached the age of 30.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dez has never been a wide open kind of WR, and Dak’s spent most of his career throwing to guys who appear open and are in single coverage.

He’s not capable of the back shoulder throws, safety lookoffs, or most other looking/throwing-them-open techniques.

Phillip Rivers repeatedly hit guys time against us who were flat-out covered. Dak ain’t that guy, and might never get there under Garrett.
I've seen Dak complete those passes before. He is actually pretty good at the back shoulder one. It's the high fade he struggles throwing to Dez. Dak definitely needs to play better but I put some of that on coaching. They either need to scale things back and simplify it for Dak like they did his rookie year or they need to call better plays. Probably both.

Regardless you can't complete just 50% of your passes to a WR. Dak does better throwing to basically everyone else. That's a problem.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps Dallas and Dez need to part ways after this season.

It's pretty obvious that Dez and Dak can'y get on the same page and it really doesn't matter whose fault that is. It's just a point of frustration for everyone.

Is there any trade partner out there who we can get something out of it?

I still refuse to believe his career is ove before he has reached the age of 30.
I don't know if anyone would be willing to take on the 13.5 mil base salary for next year.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I've seen Dak complete those passes before. He is actually pretty good at the back shoulder one. It's the high fade he struggles throwing to Dez. Dak definitely needs to play better but I put some of that on coaching. They either need to scale things back and simplify it for Dak like they did his rookie year or they need to call better plays. Probably both.

Regardless you can't complete just 50% of your passes to a WR. Dak does better throwing to basically everyone else. That's a problem.
Totally agree here.

This has been a problem since Dak came along last year and it really doesn't matter who is to blame because they both probably share the blame. All I know is this has been a problem far to long and one probably needs to go and it won't be Dak since a WR is much easier to hit on than a QB.

I remember Bledsoe having issues connecting with TO. It eventually cost him his job because we had Romo waiting in the wings. This time we don't have another QB unless Rush has something we don't know about. So if we can find a trade partner, Dez needs to find another team.

As I said before, I can't believe Dez's career is over already. He just has to find someone who can establish some kind of chemistry with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Totally agree here.

This has been a problem since Dak came along last year and it really doesn't matter who is to blame because they both probably share the blame. All I know is this has been a problem far to long and one probably needs to go and it won't be Dak since a WR is much easier to hit on than a QB.

I remember Bledsoe having issues connecting with TO. It eventually cost him his job because we had Romo waiting in the wings. This time we don't have another QB unless Rush has something we don't know about. So if we can find a trade partner, Dez needs to find another team.

As I said before, I can't believe Dez's career is over already. He just has to find someone who can establish some kind of chemistry with.
Yeah I don't think Dez's career is over. I just don't think he is a number 1 WR anymore and his pride just doesn't allow him to take a back seat. Dez for example has 125 targets this year. The next closest player on the team is Williams with 74. It's not even close. Yet Williams has caught 51 of those balls. Dez on the other hand has only caught 66.

Williams is the more effective of the two guys and it's not really that close. But no one mistakes Williams for a number 1 WR. Dez still has a lot of usefulness near the goal line. But he shouldn't be the focal point of anyone's passing attack.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I feel like a good amount of WRs get their big pay day and then drop off.
I think a lot of WRs get a "big pay day" and they never really deserved it to begin with.

You can take a look at the litany of free agent busts at the position to realize that the position is not evaluated very well. Most of the time "good" WRs are around "good QBs".

You don't see "elite" WRs do well that often unless the QB play is at least above water.

data

Forbes #1
I think a lot of WRs get a "big pay day" and they never really deserved it to begin with.

You can take a look at the litany of free agent busts at the position to realize that the position is not evaluated very well. Most of the time "good" WRs are around "good QBs".

You don't see "elite" WRs do well that often unless the QB play is at least above water.
Remember Dez and Demaryius Thomas were tied at the hip with their contract negotiations for top WR in the league? I imagine Broncos fans complain the same. From Peyton to Post-Browns Brock.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Remember Dez and Demaryius Thomas were tied at this with their contract negotiations for top WR in the league? I imagine Broncos fans complain the same. From Peyton to Post-Browns Brock.
I don't think Thomas is nearly the same WR as he used to be either. And not because of their QB.

Although I think a lot of it is chemistry. Seems like the chemistry of a QB with a certain WR doesn't always translate to the next QB. Its why so many WRs fail after switching teams.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Remember Dez and Demaryius Thomas were tied at this with their contract negotiations for top WR in the league? I imagine Broncos fans complain the same. From Peyton to Post-Browns Brock.
Both players were one trick ponies to begin with.

I think the big breed of WRs like these two are a lost cause. If your best WR does his best work with a fade, then they probably aren't good enough to begin with.

Teams are going after the big corners to keep the jump ball game at bay.

Receivers that are smart and can run the most routes are valuable.

I don't know when becoming "beastly" was better than being a good tactical player.

Once in a life time players have a way of changing prototypes. Moss did it for a while.

Soon people will understand the next Antonio Brown is the solution for the moment.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Both players were one trick ponies to begin with.

I think the big breed of WRs like these two are a lost cause. If your best WR does his best work with a fade, then they probably aren't good enough to begin with.

Teams are going after the big corners to keep the jump ball game at bay.

Receivers that are smart and can run the most routes are valuable.

I don't know when becoming "beastly" was better than being a good tactical player.

Once in a life time players have a way of changing prototypes. Moss did it for a while.

Soon people will understand the next Antonio Brown is the solution for the moment.
By the same token, Barry Church, Morris Claiborne, and Brandon Carr had far better years on other teams than they did as Cowboys. The culture is broken

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
By the same token, Barry Church, Morris Claiborne, and Brandon Carr had far better years on other teams than they did as Cowboys. The culture is broken
Which is why I've been saying that if Dez were dropped onto a team with better offensive schemes he'd probably put up Pro Bowl caliber numbers again.

Even when Romo was the QB it seemed like the vast majority of passes that Dez caught were him having to out-jump/out-muscle a DB for the ball.

Therefore I'd like to see what he looks like in a scheme with some actual creative play calling that legitimately creates confusion and mismatches on the defense.....unlike in Dallas where it seems like the strategy is simply to out-talent the guy in front of you.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
:jerk

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah no one gives a shit about that guy. At least I certainly don't.

And changing who gives a shit assistants like that will have zero impact on our team. If we aren't talking at least coordinators or QB coach I could care less. Does anyone really think a RBs coach is that important.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Linebacker coach and passing game coordinator? Please tell me that isn't an offensive passing game coordinator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom