... soon
Harbaugh might finally get himself a QB

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Harbaugh might finally get himself a QB

:towel:towel:towel:towel

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I'm going to reach out to Mayfield and the Oklahoma Athletic Dept. to see if they'll send an autographed 8 x 10 of Mayfield with the Heisman trophy to Texas Tech. Just so they can have a something to put in their trophy case to showcase to recruits that says -- "hey, come to Tech. We kinda sorta have a Heisman winner."

Maybe find an old pic with him in his TTU uniform and Photoshop the trophy in there.....I don't know, the possibilities are endless.

LMAO.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

midswat

... soon
Really surprised Lane Kiffin is still at FAU. I would've thought a bigger program would have given him a look. Guess AD's don't care for his twitter antics.

What schools still have openings?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This is a must watch. So much going on here is what the last several years has been like.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tennessee loses QB Adrian Martinez to Nebraska; Michael Penix decommits
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
comment
11:05 PM CT
Tom VanHaaren
ESPN Staff Writer
Tennessee's recruiting class lost two prospects Wednesday, both at the quarterback position. ESPN 300 quarterback Adrian Martinez and three-star Michael Penix both announced they are no longer part of the Vols' 2018 class.

Martinez, a 6-foot-2, 198-pound quarterback from Fresno, California, flopped his commitment from Tennessee to Nebraska. New Huskers coach Scott Frost and quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco made Martinez a priority immediately after Frost was hired by Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT

Martinez took a visit to Nebraska and was also contacted by new Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt, but ultimately decided to flip his commitment.

Penix, a Tampa, Florida, prospect, announced his decommitment on Twitter, three days after receiving a scholarship offer from Florida State and new head coach Willie Taggart.

The Vols no longer have a quarterback committed in this class and are down to three ESPN 300 commitments and 10 overall.

midswat

... soon
Both QB's were offered scholarships under the previous coaching staff. It's typical for recruits to de-commit once a new staff comes in place.

Penix was told to look elsewhere. Not sure if that was the case with Martinez, but I do know Martinez (a California kid) did not hold an offer from USC, where our OC came from.

While Martinez was a 4 star, and MP only a 3 star, I'm actually most disappointed in losing Michael Penix. He might not be a fit for Heltons offense, but he looks like a very talented and underrated QB. I personally hope he goes to FSU (who recently offered) and does well and whips Clemsons ass whenever he plays them.

Thanks for posting this in my Tennessee Volunteers thread. Curious why you haven't posted about how a number of highly ranked prospects who weren't considering Tennessee prior to the new staff being hired, are now considering it and have announced upcoming OV's for this weekend?

Last edited:

midswat

... soon
Speaking of recruits and recruiting.... does any of you really follow/get into this? Because I do. I find it just as interesting as I used to find the NFL draft back when I was an NFL fannatic.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Speaking of recruits and recruiting.... does any of you really follow/get into this? Because I do. I find it just as interesting as I used to find the NFL draft back when I was an NFL fannatic.
I live for college recruiting.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this in my Tennessee Volunteers thread. Curious why you haven't posted about how a number of highly ranked prospects who weren't considering Tennessee prior to the new staff being hired, are now considering it and have announced upcoming OV's for this weekend?
I'm sure if one of those "interests" actually turn into a signing I will. This was front page on ESPN so I posted it. Not a good sign for the new coaches.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live for college recruiting.
Yeah I pay pretty close attention to it. Even though Iowa doesn't pull great recruiting classes it's still fun to read about the players and get excited over 3 stars. And like Middie pointed out, often times the three star guys turn out to be better than the 4 star guys.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Both QB's were offered scholarships under the previous coaching staff. It's typical for recruits to de-commit once a new staff comes in place.

Penix was told to look elsewhere. Not sure if that was the case with Martinez, but I do know Martinez (a California kid) did not hold an offer from USC, where our OC came from.

While Martinez was a 4 star, and MP only a 3 star, I'm actually most disappointed in losing Michael Penix. He might not be a fit for Heltons offense, but he looks like a very talented and underrated QB. I personally hope he goes to FSU (who recently offered) and does well and whips Clemsons ass whenever he plays them.
Penix comfirmed TN asked him to look elsewhere. Not sure about Martinez, but I hear TN is looking to install a more pro-style offense and these two won't fit the system.

This late in the game you don't want to see them let go of their only two QB's commits, especially with one being a 4*. But on the other hand I see where they don't want to sign them and are being up front and honest with them now, rather than bring them in only to not use them and have them waste a year or two and then transfer.

Same thing happen several years ago, I think under Kiffin. They told QB commit Tajh Boyd to look around because they opted for pro-style Tyler Bray. It ended up working out for both. Boyd signed with Clemson and was a solid starter for them for several years while Bray did well at UT despite the coaching changes fiasco.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Three-star senior quarterback JT Shrout of Hart High School in Santa Clarita, Calif., a California commitment, received a scholarship offer from Tennessee on Wednesday, according to 247Sports' Greg Biggins.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Shrout has been committed to California since June. He also holds scholarship offers from Colorado State, San Diego State, Hawaii, UNLV and San Jose State, among others.

According to Biggins, the Vols are "working hard to get him in for an official visit."

Shrout is ranked the No. 679 overall prospect and No. 26 pro-style quarterback in the 247Sports Composite for the 2018 class.

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Tennessee-Vols-offer-California-QB-commit-JT-Shrout-112249838
----------

Another on the radar is 3* QB Maurice Robinson. Rivals #19 ranked Pro-style QB who is still uncommitted and was being recruited to Alabama by Pruitt. At this late pickings will be slim but hopefully will land one of these and then get in on more highly touted QB's next year.

It is interesting how he's opted for a pro-style offense having been on staffs recently at Bama and FSU where they routinely win with mobile dual-threat QB's. Bama usually even has average at best QB's, but of course are loaded with 4/5*'s everywhere else.

midswat

... soon
I'm sure if one of those "interests" actually turn into a signing I will. This was front page on ESPN so I posted it. Not a good sign for the new coaches.
I don't understand why it isn't a good sign for the new coaches. Like I said, there's always a rash of decommits when a new coach is hired who's bringing in schemes that might not be a match for what the previous coach was looking for.

For example, we have zero CB's commited in this class. We had two or three last week that the previous staff loved. Pruitt told them to look elsewhere. They were all 5'10 and shorter. Every corner Pruitt has given an offer to since taking the job have been 6' or taller. Same size as the corners he had at Bama.

Penix said in his decommit statement that the coaching staff was releasing him. Very likely did the same thing to Martinez.

I don't know enough about Helton to know what he's looking for in a QB but neither Martinez or Penix had a USC offer, and again, Martinez was right in their backyard.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand why it isn't a good sign for the new coaches. Like I said, there's always a rash of decommits when a new coach is hired who's bringing in schemes that might not be a match for what the previous coach was looking for.
Any time you're losing highly ranked commits I think it's a bad sign. But there is still time to recover.

As far as USC is concerned it doesn't look like they've signed any QBs in the class and I'm not sure they are close to any. So it may be that they just aren't looking all that hard at QBs.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oklahoma’s Rodney Anderson will not face rape charges according to the cCleveland County prosecutors office.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Oklahoma’s Rodney Anderson will not face rape charges according to the cCleveland County prosecutors office.
Will just be banned from being drafted regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom