Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

They are replaying the 1996 Playoff game against the Panthers on the NFL Channel.

I hadn't watched this in years. The way I remember the game was it was bad when Irvin broke his collarbone, then later on Sanders got clocked. It was just miserable.

Now that I am watching it again, we were actually in it until the two-minute warning then Aikman threw a mindless INT that really changed the course of the game. Now it is into the 3rd quarter, just 17-11 and we are playing grab ass. Now we take over after Johnston recovers a fumbled punt and pulled within 3.

Just funny how we were so beat up, we just didn't have the juice to beat them. The game was winnable before everything fell apart.
 
Last edited:
They are replaying the 1996 Playoff game against the Panthers on the NFL Channel.

I hadn't watched this in years. The way I remember the game was it was bad when Irvin broke his collarbone, then later on Sanders got clocked. It was just miserable.

Now that I am watching it again, we were actually in it until the two-minute warning then Aikman threw a mindless INT that really changed the course of the game. Now it is into the 3rd quarter, just 17-11 and we are playing grab ass. Now we take over after Johnston recovers a fumbled punt and pulled within 3.

Just funny how we were so beat up, we just didn't have the juice to beat them. The game was winnable before everything fell apart.

I mainly remember Irvin’s injury, Lamar Lathan faking injuries every five minutes to get a breather, and Aikman trying to throw deep passes to Billy Davis. Oh yeah the first play was a DPI on Kevin Smith just because. The Panthers and the refs had totally targeted the guy.
 
The sad part is the mismanagement of the roster that if it had been reversed probably results in more Super Bowls. Jimmy Smith anyone?
 
I mainly remember Irvin’s injury, Lamar Lathan faking injuries every five minutes to get a breather, and Aikman trying to throw deep passes to Billy Davis. Oh yeah the first play was a DPI on Kevin Smith just because. The Panthers and the refs had totally targeted the guy.
Smith got worked over bad. Plus the field was a mess.
 
They are replaying the 1996 Playoff game against the Panthers on the NFL Channel.

I hadn't watched this in years. The way I remember the game was it was bad when Irvin broke his collarbone, then later on Sanders got clocked. It was just miserable.

Now that I am watching it again, we were actually in it until the two-minute warning then Aikman threw a mindless INT that really changed the course of the game. Now it is into the 3rd quarter, just 17-11 and we are playing grab ass. Now we take over after Johnston recovers a fumbled punt and pulled within 3.

Just funny how we were so beat up, we just didn't have the juice to beat them. The game was winnable before everything fell apart.
the end of an era. Thus began our slow descent into mediocrity/
 


I was at this game. I had a great seat on the 40 yard line less than 10 rows up. I remember paying around $3-400 for the ticket which seems absurdly low these days.
 
I was at this game. I had a great seat on the 40 yard line less than 10 rows up. I remember paying around $3-400 for the ticket which seems absurdly low these days.

I remember the writeup after that game where Kevin Smith I think handed Troy a game ball claiming he was the hero of the game, and Troy chucked it into the stands, knowing there was no need to remember this bullshit win.
 
I remember the writeup after that game where Kevin Smith I think handed Troy a game ball claiming he was the hero of the game, and Troy chucked it into the stands, knowing there was no need to remember this bullshit win.
It was one of those wins you hated to celebrate. But it almost was a cheat loss after the Detmer illegal pass.

I think I did something similar to what Tolbert did at the end.
 
I'm not sure Detmer was over the line, though. You know how these days they draw the line on the field and make sure every bit of the QBs body and the ball are past the line. Geez though, Dierdorf was so proud of himself for seeing that.

I didn't remember that game was Monday night. All I remember about that game was my girlfriend's family was from Pennsylvania and they were rooting for the Eagles, which was incomprehensible to me at the time. :lol
 
Since I'm here, yesterday I zipped through the 99 opener against the Skins where Troy hits the bomb to Rocket. My god, Matt Millen alone could make the game almost unwatchable. Way more twists and turns at the end of that game than I realized.

But there was something very sad about those late 90s teams. All those marquee names who were still pretty good, but so many spares from bad drafting dragging it all down into the pit of mediocrity.
 
Back
Top Bottom