Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

Glad @ravidubey mentioned Rod Woodson because when I read 1bigd's about Charles that was my first thought, that I liked Rod more. Charles got the Heisman, did the pose and all, but Rod was great. As ravi said, much more physical. He may not have been quite as fast as Deion but still remember seeing him when he was at Pitt in some big European track meet in the 110 hurdles. He was a bad man also, just low key about it.
 
Glad @ravidubey mentioned Rod Woodson because when I read 1bigd's about Charles that was my first thought, that I liked Rod more. Charles got the Heisman, did the pose and all, but Rod was great. As ravi said, much more physical. He may not have been quite as fast as Deion but still remember seeing him when he was at Pitt in some big European track meet in the 110 hurdles. He was a bad man also, just low key about it.
And when we say, not quite as fast, we’re talking 4.33 vs 4.27 with each being the fastest player in their respective drafts.

Deion got unbelievable hype, and with the Cowboys/49ers rivalry the hype got 1000x worse.

Rod Woodson played for a small market AFC team with no QB, and was the most impactful player on teams that contended for the Super Bowl multiple years in a row. Deion became a trading piece between the two most loaded franchises in the league that were contenders before he arrived.

Deion wasn’t the best player on either contender, but outlets like ESPN hyped him up like he was because it made for good TV.

People didn’t throw at Rod Woodson either. Woodson paved the way for a CB to win DPOY, too. Paved the way for Deion by winning it the year before Deion did.

I’m not a Woodson mark by any stretch, I fucking can’t stand the Steelers, but that guy was the real deal. Making tackles was no ‘business decision’ for him.

Deion was great, but the charisma and hype turned him into the legend he is as much as his play on the field. You’d never send him on a blitz for fear he’d break. Guys like Woodson who did their jobs never got the press. I fucking witnessed it.

Deion was brittle too. He had one season where he started all 16 games. Woodson had 10. Big part of football is actually showing up.
 
As a DB, Rod could compare. As a player, not even close.
Rod Woodson beats Deion in almost every meaningful statistic except hype (which seems measureless in Deion’s case).

71 vs 53 picks, 13 vs 10 defensive scores, 20 vs 10 FF’s, 32 vs 13 fumble recoveries, more KR’s, more PR’s, 1153 vs 512 tackles, 13.5 vs 1 sack, more years, more games, 10 full seasons vs 1.

Deion has more kick return TD’s, 9 to 4, and more rings, 2 to 1.

Woodson even played as many seasons at CB as Deion.

Deion did catch 60 passes (on 112 targets) for 3 TDs, but that was more a publicity stunt and mostly lazy ownership unable to find a #2 WR to Michael Irvin in 1996.
 
Rod Woodson vs Charles Woodson vs Deion Sanders

The debate we didn't know we needed. Lotta good discussion going on about whose the real GOAT CB.
 
I agree with Ravi in that Deion receives the God-like treatment that is bestowed on Michael Jordan. If you listen to people talk about MJ, you'd swear he never missed a shot and won every NBA Finals 4-0 while averaging 50 ppg. I think the same can be said of Deion.

However Deion took his fair share of L's when he was matched up against good WRs and good QBs. He won most of his matchups but people had success going at him more than people remember. That's why if I needed a #1 CB for my defense I'd prefer to have Rod or Charles Woodson at CB. With those guys you're getting great pass coverage (not as great as Deion, but still great) and you'll have CBs who are more versatile on defense. You can put them at safety, send them on blitzes, etc.

Here's a clip of highlights of Deion vs Irvin.

 
I agree with Ravi in that Deion receives the God-like treatment that is bestowed on Michael Jordan. If you listen to people talk about MJ, you'd swear he never missed a shot and won every NBA Finals 4-0 while averaging 50 ppg. I think the same can be said of Deion.

However Deion took his fair share of L's when he was matched up against good WRs and good QBs. He won most of his matchups but people had success going at him more than people remember. That's why if I needed a #1 CB for my defense I'd prefer to have Rod or Charles Woodson at CB. With those guys you're getting great pass coverage (not as great as Deion, but still great) and you'll have CBs who are more versatile on defense. You can put them at safety, send them on blitzes, etc.

Here's a clip of highlights of Deion vs Irvin.


Agreed. Deion was great, no doubt about it. A slam dunk all-timer. But he's one of those select few that just seems to get a little better the further we get from his retirement.

As great as he was as a returner, I'm with 1big. I'll take Rod and Charles on my team. A whoooole lot less diva to deal with, too.
 
Last edited:
As great as he was as a returner, I'm with 1big. I'll take Rod and Charles on by team. A whoooole lot less diva to deal with, too.

And Rod was just as good a returner (he has more pick sixes than Deion), but people don't seem to remember.
 

That first half was awesome and showed just how much we needed Emmitt. On that play I kept expecting Darrell Green to catch him from behind and it never happened.

Then Emmitt reacted to some kind of dehydration supplement he had taken and got sick and dehydrated anyway. Like someone threw down a jinx on us. When he was in, we dominated. They moment he left, the whole offense stalled.
 
Then Emmitt reacted to some kind of dehydration supplement he had taken and got sick and dehydrated anyway.

Yeah, I read about that in the book he came out with in the 90s called The Emmitt Zone.

IIRC, it was Moose Johnston who gave him something that would "boost" his energy levels and instead it made him sick and had him puking and that's why he couldn't finish the game.
 
One of the greatest to ever do it.
why dont we debate Tony D vs Emmitt? We've been blessed with some great running backs over the years, 'cept for maybe dookie stick boi.
 
why dont we debate Tony D vs Emmitt? We've been blessed with some great running backs over the years, 'cept for maybe dookie stick boi.
That's a tough one, but gun to my head, I have to choose Emmitt, if for nothing else his durability.
 
That's a tough one, but gun to my head, I have to choose Emmitt, if for nothing else his durability.
strange thing, but there's a portion of this DCC group that didnt see Tony play live. Thats sad.
 
That's a tough one, but gun to my head, I have to choose Emmitt, if for nothing else his durability.
Emmitt's longevity (14 years vs 11) translated into alot more rushes (~500 more), yardage (~18k vs ~13k) and scores/touchdowns 2:1

But, TonyD's per carry average was higher by .1, and his longest run of 99 yards probably wont be matched or beaten. Tony was faster.

Then, Tony's receiving numbers are better. He had more receiving yardage with >100 fewer receptions, and his longest reception was longer than E's ( 91 vs 86 yards). Again, TD's speed and agility was superior.

I watched both players, and I wonder how Tony might have played behind Emmitt's all-time offensive line.
 

I remember watching that last long catch and run on the season opener 1978 with multiple Cowboys escorting Dorsett into the endzone. They were laughing afterwards. Game was a total laugher too. First game back as Super Bowl champs and we crushed, 38-0.
 
  • Props
Reactions: p1_
Emmitt's longevity (14 years vs 11) translated into alot more rushes (~500 more), yardage (~18k vs ~13k) and scores/touchdowns 2:1

But, TonyD's per carry average was higher by .1, and his longest run of 99 yards probably wont be matched or beaten. Tony was faster.

Then, Tony's receiving numbers are better. He had more receiving yardage with >100 fewer receptions, and his longest reception was longer than E's ( 91 vs 86 yards). Again, TD's speed and agility was superior.

I watched both players, and I wonder how Tony might have played behind Emmitt's all-time offensive line.
Dorsett was unique, period, but he was light in the ass enough that Landry felt he had to use him sparingly. That extended his career for sure. Still, I’ve never seen a back with Tony’s acceleration, like ever. Maybe the best vision of any Cowboy back ever. Not great in pass protection, and complained like a diva.

Cowboys ran Emmitt into the ground— and he fucking dominated anyway. He was more like Walter Payton, which is a very good thing. Emmitt crushed, as in fucking pancaked, as a pass blocker. Great receiver too.
 
  • Props
Reactions: p1_
Back
Top Bottom