2026 Season | Week 4 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Texans | 10/04/2026

Dak is now basically what Romo became in 2014, a veteran who has seen it all, but is still young enough to not have fallen off physically yet. 2014 was Romo's best year and we all lament losing him to injuries when it just seemed like he was starting to peak.

I think that's what Prescott is now and I think it's why keeping Pickens on a 3-4 year deal is so important. Sometime around 36-38 Dak will start falling off physically, and if we let Pickens go it will take at least a year or two to find a replacement and for Dak to build rapport with the replacement, if at all.

We already know that Lamb/Pickens are unstoppable, Dak is starting to reach that next level of vet QB play that Romo reached in 2014, and with Guyton developing we will have a very good to possibly even elite OL over the next few years, so why fuck with that when you might only have 2-3 more years of it given Dak's age?

I know Pickens is probably a ticking time bomb, but as long as Dak and Lamb are around he'll stay in line. Do whatever you have to do to keep him (cut Bland, cut Steele, cut Ferguson, whatever), because this combo of Dak/Lamb/Pickens is something truly special that doesn't come around often.
Agreed all around.

Do what it takes to keep Pickens and maximize Dak's best years.
 
I absolutely do not agree with that. If you could take Buck's faggy ass out of the equation, maybe. But, with him, no sir.

Yeah, I don't get the Buck hate at all.

All announcers have SOME annoying tendencies. People made fun of Madden's over the top mannerisms back in the day as well. But he was the best ever.

There isn't a play by play guy in pro football in the last 25 years with a better combination of voice, excitement, and accuracy than Buck. Again, including Michaels. Michaels is a Hall of Famer but he comes up short in the excitement category compared to Buck.
 
Yeah, I don't get the Buck hate at all.

All announcers have SOME annoying tendencies. People made fun of Madden's over the top mannerisms back in the day as well. But he was the best ever.

There isn't a play by play guy in pro football in the last 25 years with a better combination of voice, excitement, and accuracy than Buck. Again, including Michaels. Michaels is a Hall of Famer but he comes up short in the excitement category compared to Buck.
Buck Jr can't carry Al Michaels' jock strap.

Al may be older now, and that gets everyone, but he's still a legend. Buck has turned down some of his douchiness lately, but it's still there under the surface.
 
Last edited:
I remember being sold on Buck in an Eagles Cowboys game back in the early 2000s. 2005 I think. Terry Glenn caught a TD pass early. Buck yelling Glenn on the TD reception, I was like, this mofo brings the excitement. He's a keeper.

Here it is, at 21:21.

 
Dak is now basically what Romo became in 2014, a veteran who has seen it all, but is still young enough to not have fallen off physically yet. 2014 was Romo's best year and we all lament losing him to injuries when it just seemed like he was starting to peak.

I think that's what Prescott is now and I think it's why keeping Pickens on a 3-4 year deal is so important. Sometime around 36-38 Dak will start falling off physically, and if we let Pickens go it will take at least a year or two to find a replacement and for Dak to build rapport with the replacement, if at all.

We already know that Lamb/Pickens are unstoppable, Dak is starting to reach that next level of vet QB play that Romo reached in 2014, and with Guyton developing we will have a very good to possibly even elite OL over the next few years, so why fuck with that when you might only have 2-3 more years of it given Dak's age?

I know Pickens is probably a ticking time bomb, but as long as Dak and Lamb are around he'll stay in line. Do whatever you have to do to keep him (cut Bland, cut Steele, cut Ferguson, whatever), because this combo of Dak/Lamb/Pickens is something truly special that doesn't come around often.
Dak has to build off this game as apparently this was the franchise's first win in 32 tries down 10+ on the road.

Hopefully SWED-- Sweaty Wide-Eyed Dak, is gone and buried along with the first half of this game. We can't keep waiting until the second halves of games to kick the offense out of 1st gear.

He's always been stronger armed than Romo, but is still not nearly as creative and able to throw folks open. Romo could get the ball to Murray as if he was handing it off to him anywhere within 15 yards without breaking stride.

Schotty has to get Dak delivering the ball to players as they are breaking open, not when they are already open and stopped moving. This trust and timing is the next phase of Dak's evolution.
 
Yeah, I don't get the Buck hate at all.

All announcers have SOME annoying tendencies. People made fun of Madden's over the top mannerisms back in the day as well. But he was the best ever.

There isn't a play by play guy in pro football in the last 25 years with a better combination of voice, excitement, and accuracy than Buck. Again, including Michaels. Michaels is a Hall of Famer but he comes up short in the excitement category compared to Buck.
I see no love for Al Michaels anywhere in this thread.

He’s the best next to Summerall when it comes to play by play.
 
I was always told you swat it down like a volleyball

Well in that particular case, yes, he should have swatted it down.

But generally speaking, I think it's a situational thing.

For example, the Texans lost a game to a hail mary vs the Jaguars a while back because they swatted it directly into the hands of an oncoming receiver.





The ball hangs in the air for quite some time so I think the DBs have time to take a glance at what's in front of them before the ball arrives.

So if you've got receivers in front of you, try to catch it or bat it backwards.

If there aren't? Swat it down every time.
 
We would feel a lot different about this team if they hadn't completely shit the bed and lost to the Giants.

Or if they just pull off one play in the redzone against the Ravens. Just score a TD at the end and it's a replay of the Texans ending instead of what actually happened.
 
Yeah, I don't get the Buck hate at all.

All announcers have SOME annoying tendencies. People made fun of Madden's over the top mannerisms back in the day as well. But he was the best ever.

There isn't a play by play guy in pro football in the last 25 years with a better combination of voice, excitement, and accuracy than Buck. Again, including Michaels. Michaels is a Hall of Famer but he comes up short in the excitement category compared to Buck.
Man I fully agree,

Michaels is all but mailing it in, but even 55% of him is a better pro than most will ever be. I think the real excitement left his presentation when Madden retired.

Buck is underrated, maybe because he's standing next to Aikman?

I remember him in 2008 during the Superbowl run as Kurt Warner was lining up for a potential game winning drive and Buck pulled out of his ass: "Can a drive get you into the Hall of Fame?" That was brilliant in the moment broadcasting. He nailed the weight of what was happening in one sentence.
 
Last edited:
We would feel a lot different about this team if they hadn't completely shit the bed and lost to the Giants.

I don't know, I think I'd feel the same about them regardless, unless you wipe the memory of that Ravens game and how Schottenheimer handled it from my brain.

We're a good team, potentially very good, but too flawed to make real noise in the playoffs without an extreme amount of luck. I think we're probably the best team in the division and it'd take a pretty solid choke job for us to not win it.

But in the playoffs I don't see us making it past the first round.
 
There isn't a play by play guy in pro football in the last 25 years with a better combination of voice, excitement, and accuracy than Buck. Again, including Michaels. Michaels is a Hall of Famer but he comes up short in the excitement category compared to Buck.
I’d rather listen to Michael’s 10 times out of 10. Football, baseball, hockey, tiddlywinks, doesn’t matter.
 
Watched the all-22 of all his passing plays, he basically gave up no space, although he wasn't following Collins in the second half as some suspected.

He'll clearly be our best CB once he ramps up and is able to play without limitations.
He's clearly really good to just drop in and play like he did.

Reminds me of when we signed Ryan McNeil in the early 2000's for one season and he just came in in the 11th hour before the season started and started blanketing guys. Then the Chargers signed him away the next season and he had 8 picks for them. I was so bitter we wouldn't keep him.
 
Back
Top Bottom