2026 College Football Chatter

i actually think Franklins floor is higher than Campbells ceiling. I understand that you guys had to move on from Franklin but I will never understand that hire.
The AD completely fucked up the hiring process. Fired Franklin mid-season without a plan of who was going to take over. Thought he had BYUs coach locked in and he backed out at the last minute. Right near signing day and after the portal was closed. Then he reached out to Campbell at the last minute. He had apparently tried to contact Campbell earlier but had the wrong agent's phone number. :shrug

I'm not giving up on Campbell after 5 games, but he needs to stop the bleeding or the pitchforks will be out early.

As for Franklin's ceiling, his nickname was Big Game James. Couldn't win one against OSU or Michigan or any top team with regularity. Was something like 1-19 against top 10 teams. Got to the semis of the CFP and almost the finals with one of the easiest roads since they expanded.

Incredible recruiter, not a great game day coach and was mainly concerned about his own image.
 
Yeah, I don't blame Penn St for going for Campbell. He did a great job at ISU and was almost like a mini-Bill Snyder, taking what was traditionally one of the worst programs in the country and making them at least respectable for several years.

Maybe it's too different going from that type of average, under-the-radar athlete to the elites, and of course NIL changed everything. Or maybe he just needs more time. I would bet he turns out to do a pretty good job if he gets the time he needs.
 
Maybe it's too different going from that type of average, under-the-radar athlete to the elites

Could be that too. Ferentz does a great job at Iowa always being good but never great. But you could hand him Texas talent and you'd probably never get greatness. Ferentz is great with those mid level talent players and developing them into great players. I don't know that he would do so well with elite talent that jumps from team to team every other year.
 
Back
Top Bottom