Would you hate it?

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
I like Elam, I like Reid better. You can have aggressive safeties in this system...if they are truly trying to emulate Seattle their safeties are very aggressive.
Comparing players, Elam is more aggressive than Reid.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
FS MATT ELAM
FLORIDA

OVERVIEW

A two-year starter as part of the Gators' secondary, Matt Elam will put forward one of the best highlight reels of any prospect in this class due to his big hits and personality on the field. Elam has been a coveted player his entire life, entering the college ranks as the top high school safety prospect after being coached by Jack Daniels, a Florida alum. In fact, his older brother Abe Elam has paved the way for Matt to make it in the NFL. He was a two way player in high school, but Elam made the transition to safety shortly after focusing on special teams during his freshman season in 2010.

During that first year, Elam recorded 22 tackles primarily on the kickoff coverage unit while also being one of the first defensive backs off the bench all season, primarily in the nickel role. As a sophomore, Elam took a big step forward and was one of five Gators to start all 13 games in 2011. Playing the strong safety spot, Elam led the team in tackles for loss (11), pass breakups (seven) and forced fumbles (two). Elam kept his starting strong safety spot in 2012, compiling 76 total tackles, once again making 11 of them for a loss. He added two sacks, one forced fumble, and four interceptions.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Plays close to the line of scrimmage or in the box very often. At his best when asked to make a play, either blitzing or one on one on the edge. Frequently assigned to cover the slot receiver. There are times when he flashes tremendous disruption when the play is developing in front of him. Has catch up speed to chase down when he wants to. Gets hand up to disrupt at the catch point even if head is not turned to locate the football. Gets downfield very quickly as a gunner in punt coverage.

WEAKNESSES

Would rather drift laterally against the run rather than plant his outside foot, free outside arm, and force run upfield immediately. For how many hard hitting splash plays he makes, he could be much more aggressive every down. Little urgency to his game. Seen standing around far too often. Waits on screen rather than attacking while ball is getting there. Tries to make the big hit far too often, lunges, leads with shoulder, or leaves his feet rather than just wrapping up.

NFL COMPARISON Quintin Mikell

BOTTOM LINE

Elam is one of the higher profile prospects at his position due to his onfield emotion and energy when lining up big hits in the open field. The junior thrives when his nunmber is called, and Elam was very visible since he frequently lined up in the box at strong safety. However, when looking beyond the splash plays, Elam lacks urgency to his game and can be seen standing around while others make the play. That combined with his tendency to launch himself at ball carriers rather than make form tackles may cause some evaluators to be a bit apprhensive. But, if the Gator can harness the electricity he flashes, Elam could end up being one of the top safeties in this class and is a potential first-round pick.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Comparing players, Elam is more aggressive than Reid.
Not if you read the scouting reports...stands around, does not attach screen...that does not sound aggressive in the least bit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not if you read the scouting reports...stands around, does not attach screen...that does not sound aggressive in the least bit.
The above scouting report agrees with you.

For how many hard hitting splash plays he makes, he could be much more aggressive every down. Little urgency to his game. Seen standing around far too often. Waits on screen rather than attacking while ball is getting there.

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
The above scouting report agrees with you.

For how many hard hitting splash plays he makes, he could be much more aggressive every down. Little urgency to his game. Seen standing around far too often. Waits on screen rather than attacking while ball is getting there.
I don't read scouting reports. I watch tape. I said he has work to do. But so does every other college safety in the draft. Vaccaro is entirely overrated.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't read scouting reports. I watch tape. I said he has work to do. But so does every other college safety in the draft. Vaccaro is entirely overrated.
You don't read scouting reports, yet you quoted one for truth above. Did you accidentally quote it or something?

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
You don't read scouting reports, yet you quoted one for truth above. Did you accidentally quote it or something?
I meant to make an evaluation. I haven't read many scouting reports. I don't trust scouts. Almost any dufas can be a scout. I look for myself. The above scouting report was posted, so I read it. I can gather from his tape that he's clearly a guy who gets a lot of stops. The report just helped me put a number on it. I didn't seek out the report, but I read stuff people post. I do agree with this particular report though. But it still doesn't tell me as much as the tape. I'll agree he plays with more enthusiasm and emotion than anyone I've seen. You gotta love that in a defender.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I watch tape too...if highlight clips on YouTube count. See, I am a full on scout like you are.
Hey, don't be running off our good posters. I was just getting ready to worship him, too.

Asshole.

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
You watch tape, which is a joke to say. Everyone watches "tape"...whether it is a game, highlight clips, or whatever.
Well, if you put much weight into a scouting report, you're pretty much a dufas at the mercy of their opinion or evaluation. If you watch video, which there is an abundant amount of video on players these days, it's easier to see for yourself rather than relying on the Broaddus' of the world.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Right. I think you are full of shit and are not capable of providing a scouting report on a player. You can have an opinion, but it is as uninformed as anyone elses. I watch clips just like you, but I am not a douchebag who claims to watch tape like you are.

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
Right. I think you are full of shit and are not capable of providing a scouting report on a player. You can have an opinion, but it is as uninformed as anyone elses. I watch clips just like you, but I am not a douchebag who claims to watch tape like you are.
You just did... tape and film are pretty much the same thing, genius.

Top Bottom