Worker Suing McDonald's Franchise Over Payroll Debit Cards

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The Department of Labor has deemed this legal, so take that up with them.

I can see their point. You could use this debit card without any additional fees.

Keep a registry and you don't have to check a balance.

Don't get OTC cash advance or use an ATM.

Or better yet, quit.

I am not advocating this is a good business model, but she has no legs to stand on for a lawsuit.
So they should feel even worse for picking on a special needs employee.

It is no longer the happy place of my childhood.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It was also reported that she was dressed as a Mariachi and singing the national anthem.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bipo and Iamtdg are the last people that I would expect to support the little guy getting screwed over. To say not to work there is just stupid...and if you had to pay a fee on the money you make you would both be singing a different tune.
Feh.

They are both standup guys that would just quit and get another job...that's how they roll.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm guessing you missed this part:

$5 for over-the-counter cash withdrawals

That's not always true either. For instance, my electric company will not let me pay them online or over the phone without charging a fee. I have to either mail them a check (which I hate) or use bill pay through my bank (which in this McDonald's worker's case, her bank would charge her).

That isn't the point here.
I guess you don't know what the difference between a cash withdrawal and a debit is.

Cotton

Staff member
Feh.

They are both standup guys that would just quit and get another job...that's how they roll.
You damn right I would. To force someone to take a debit card with fees as a paycheck is bullshit.

Cotton

Staff member
You are simply wrong here.
You have any legal proof of that or are you taking out your ass? It states in the article that this practice is deemed legal by the Department of Labor. I will await your proof.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You damn right I would. To force someone to take a debit card with fees as a paycheck is bullshit.
There's no way around it though, they are getting less money than the company agreed to pay them. Might as well charge someone a "picking up your pay check" fee.

Cotton

Staff member
You are simply wrong here.
You have any legal proof of that or are you taking out your ass? It states in the article that this practice is deemed legal by the Department of Labor. I will await your proof.

Cotton

Staff member
There's no way around it though, they are getting less money than the company agreed to pay them. Might as well charge someone a "picking up your pay check" fee.
No they're not. Ignoring facts doesn't support your argument and I'm not going to restate them because you are too lazy or obtuse to read what I have already typed.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I am taking the bar in July, dumbass.

Who do you think is more likely talking out of his ass, you or me?

You said she doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. I am telling you that you are absolutely wrong.

Let me explain something about the law to you, before you embarrass yourself further.

Even if the Department of Labor releases a regulation saying that a practice is "lawful" (which doesn't sound like the case here, just that they endorse the practice), it is superseded by congressional law. And it can be challenged in court on a number of legal bases.

Which means that she does, in fact, have a legal leg to stand on.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
They aren't taking anything out of their check unless they perform those above actions, and none of them include using the debit cards for normal purchases. They would be able to quit with their full paycheck.

$1.50 charge for ATM withdrawals, $5 for over-the-counter cash withdrawals, $1 to check the balance, 75 cents per online bill payment.

Also...

The definition of "lawful money" is unclear, but the state Department of Labor and Industry and state banking regulators have endorsed payroll cards as a legal form of wage payment, according to the American Payroll Association, an industry trade association.

Seems it's not illegal according the the Department of Labor.
Paying that way isn't illegal according to the department of labor, making it the only option may very well be illegal because it forces employees to pay back some of the money they are owed. In effect, they aren't being paid what they are owed, they are being paid a number of dollars less.

Cotton

Staff member
I am taking the bar in July, dumbass.

Who do you think is more likely talking out of his ass, you or me?

You said she doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. I am telling you that you are absolutely wrong.

Let me explain something about the law to you, before you embarrass yourself further.

Even if the Department of Labor releases a regulation saying that a practice is "lawful" (which doesn't sound like the case here, just that they endorse the practice), it is superseded by congressional law. And it can be challenged in court on a number of legal bases.

Which means that she does, in fact, have a legal leg to stand on.
So you're saying this is illegal? Prove it.

I don't see the Department of Labor endorsing something that's illegal... dumbass.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
So you're saying this is illegal? Prove it.

I don't see the Department of Labor endorsing something that's illegal... dumbass.
It's not as clear cut as you would like it to be, though paying in this way may not be illegal, forcing your employees to accept this form of payment might be.

Cotton

Staff member
It's not as clear cut as you would like it to be, though paying in this way may not be illegal, forcing your employees to accept this form of payment might be.
Very true and I don't know the answer to that. Of it is illegal obviously my stance changes about her getting another job or having a legal leg to stand on.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If I owe someone fifty bucks and I give them fifty minus a five dollar fee, have I paid them what I owe or have I shortchanged them?

Top Bottom