Worker Suing McDonald's Franchise Over Payroll Debit Cards

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If I owe someone fifty bucks and I give them fifty minus a five dollar fee, have I paid them what I owe or have I shortchanged them?
Depends on whether you had an agreement indicating same.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If I owe someone fifty bucks and I give them fifty minus a five dollar fee, have I paid them what I owe or have I shortchanged them?
The five bucks isn't a fee that is automatically taken out and doesn't have to be taken out at all. It's only if you get cash back at the register. If it's just a normal debit card purchase it doesn't cost them anything.

junk

Not So New Member
The five bucks isn't a fee that is automatically taken out and doesn't have to be taken out at all. It's only if you get cash back at the register. If it's just a normal debit card purchase it doesn't cost them anything.
But what if you just want cash. That's what I am missing. You'd still get hit with a fee, no?

Although they are becoming more and more rare, there are certainly places where debit cards aren't accepted.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
But what if you just want cash. That's what I am missing. You'd still get hit with a fee, no?

Although they are becoming more and more rare, there are certainly places where debit cards aren't accepted.

Yes. There are times when all people need cash. Fucking them over by taking back part of what they earned is disingenuous at best. It probably is just fine to pay them through a debit card but when you start attaching all kinds of conditions to it in the forms of fees, it loses a little integrity.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Just curious, but if they can't withdraw the money without incurring a charge, or pay their bills online without incurring a charge, how do you propose they pay their bills without being hit with some of these fees?
Smart money says go to the bank and get your money.

jeebs

Brand New Member
I'm guessing you missed this part:

$5 for over-the-counter cash withdrawals
I assumed that meant getting your money over the counter at supermarkets and things (cash back), not the bank.

If there is no way to get paid without fees then this is wrong. If they are just setting traps for their stupid and lazy employees they are just dicks, not wrong.

jeebs

Brand New Member
I am taking the bar in July, dumbass.

Who do you think is more likely talking out of his ass, you or me?
After that comment? You. Lawyers most fvcking idiots, and basically all new lawyers are. I don't know what they teach in law school, but it sure as hell ain't what lawyers need to know. It seems to take them years in their field before they are competent.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
After that comment? You. Lawyers most fvcking idiots, and basically all new lawyers are. I don't know what they teach in law school, but it sure as hell ain't what lawyers need to know. It seems to take them years in their field before they are competent.
While this is true, it's not because they don't know theory.

What they don't teach you is practice. But Geng can recite laws and cases till he's blue in the face, I'm sure.

jeebs

Brand New Member
While this is true, it's not because they don't know theory.

What they don't teach you is practice. But Geng can recite laws and cases till he's blue in the face, I'm sure.
Which is all useless because if he was better he could cite precidents for the exact opposite as well. Now how it actually works, that is something else entirely.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Which is all useless because if he was better he could cite precidents for the exact opposite as well.
Not if there is no precedent. Law isn't what you see on TV. Sometimes it's not about being brilliant and coming up with some angle no one has thought of. If there are lawyers out there like that, they are in the top 0.00001%.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
My criminal justice professor tried to sell me on going to law school but I just couldn't see myself going into that much debt.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My criminal justice professor tried to sell me on going to law school but I just couldn't see myself going into that much debt.
It's hard to say that it's worth it unless you are gonna graduate making 100k a year.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's hard to say that it's worth it unless you are gonna graduate making 100k a year.
I'd have been lucky to make 38k in this state, and that's if I got on with a prosecutor's office. As a public defender I could maybe make 27k, less than I make as a correctional officer.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd have been lucky to make 38k in this state, and that's if I got on with a prosecutor's office. As a public defender I could maybe make 27k, less than I make as a correctional officer.
Yeah. And with 100k in debt you are looking at a payment of what, $900 a month for 25 years? At 38k your total income is only like $2000 a month after taxes. That's half your income to loans.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yeah. And with 100k in debt you are looking at a payment of what, $900 a month for 25 years? At 38k your total income is only like $2000 a month after taxes. That's half your income to loans.
If you're from a filthy rich family that can set you up with a practice doing real estate or whatever it makes sense to be a lawyer, or if you're a minority that can get free tuition. For a white guy from a blue collar family, nope.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Damn. Makes me glad I never bothered to go to law school like I once thought about.

D

Deuce

Damn. Makes me glad I never bothered to go to law school like I once thought about.
It's pretty much most schools if you go into graduate work. I have $80k in loan debt and I'm not a lawyer.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'd pay the load back with pre-paid debit cards that have unreasonable fees.

Top Bottom