Why Young Americans Are Giving Up on Capitalism

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That you can't follow a conversation, no, we've seen it time and time again.
Then why do you bother to engage me? Ignore my posts. Doesn't that say something about your mentality to engage in something you don't think can make sense. Just back up and leave you obsession.

townsend

Banned
See, I don't really even know what this means. Please clarify.
I had a thesis on it a couple pages back. Essentially the paths through which the average person acquired work skills in previous generations don't exist.

Mentorship doesn't really exist anymore, and we have an economy where employees are expected to change occupations frequently (the "gig" economy). People just aren't being groomed to be long term employees anymore. In fact entry level jobs are difficult to come by.

This is a pretty good rundown of the problem.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/say-goodbye-to-the-entry-level-job/

2233boys

Not So New Member
Then why do you bother to engage me? Ignore my posts. Doesn't that say something about your mentality to engage in something you don't think can make sense. Just back up and leave you obsession.
You engaged me asshat not the other way around.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I had a thesis on it a couple pages back. Essentially the paths through which the average person acquired work skills in previous generations don't exist.

Mentorship doesn't really exist anymore, and we have an economy where employees are expected to change occupations frequently (the "gig" economy). People just aren't being groomed to be long term employees anymore. In fact entry level jobs are difficult to come by.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/say-goodbye-to-the-entry-level-job/
I actually would be inclined to agree with you here. The reason some of the issues with the millennials exist is because my generation failed as parents. We coddled our kids and patted them on the backs instead of showing them the right way. We just bought a house out in the country and it was the best thing for my son. I can have him tag along with me as we tackle various projects around the property. I mean, I taught him stuff before, but he has learned more hands on since we have moved into that house than he ever did before. So, yeah, I do agree that the opportunity to learn hands-on trade skills outside of an actual job isn't as prevalent now as it used to be.

But, now all that being said, the millennials aren't free of blame. I think the more and more widespread electronics (video games, computers, phones, etc.) has become the interest in learning those skills have diminished, as well. But, to me, ultimately, even that falls partly back on the parents for not forcing the issue.

townsend

Banned
I actually would be inclined to agree with you here. The reason some of the issues with the millennials exist is because my generation failed as parents. We coddled our kids and patted them on the backs instead of showing them the right way. We just bought a house out in the country and it was the best thing for my son. I can have him tag along with me as we tackle various projects around the property. I mean, I taught him stuff before, but he has learned more hands on since we have moved into that house than he ever did before. So, yeah, I do agree that the opportunity to learn hands-on trade skills outside of an actual job isn't as prevalent now as it used to be.

But, now all that being said, the millennials aren't free of blame. I think the more and more widespread electronics (video games, computers, phones, etc.) has become the interest in learning those skills have diminished, as well. But, to me, ultimately, even that falls partly back on the parents for not forcing the issue.
Speaking on the electronics portion, I think there's something there. I think they're designed to be addictive. And anyone, regardless of age can be sidetracked by it. There's also a lot of info that people who hear their phone buzz or beep will have their attention divided, even if they choose not to look at it.

Honestly any professional probably needs to have a plan on how to disconnect from their phone during the workday.

townsend

Banned

I do agree that you can't just let millennials off the hook for their own problems either. But "this newest generation is lazy" has been the refrain of every preceding generation, at there most out of touch. It's a cop out. Upcoming generations can all use constructive criticism. They just don't need hear complaints without solutions.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I have been turned down at least 5 times trying to get retail jobs at several places because I was overqualified and they thought I would not stick around.

I had 1 manager who was super excited to hire me because he knew my situation and he was rebuffed by the district manager.

One of the reasons was because I was a theft risk as well because of my education.:shrug

Jiggyfly

Banned
I do agree that you can't just let millennials off the hook for their own problems either. But "this newest generation is lazy" has been the refrain of every preceding generation, at there most out of touch. It's a cop out. Upcoming generations can all use constructive criticism. They just don't need hear complaints without solutions.
This.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
That isn't germane to millennials, it goes across broad spectrum of our population, every age group, economic background, race, All Demographics. It isn't more prevalent in one generation than the next. I know for a fact the same things were said about my generation, and the same things were said about the, me generation and the boomers from the older generations.

It's skewed perspective based on nostalgia and fear. Good article on it from 2012

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamthierer/2012/01/08/why-do-we-always-sell-the-next-generation-short/#764bb1e02d75
I'm not saying it is limited to young folk. I see it in all age groups. But my personal experience has been that I see it far more in people under 30 than others. I don't have any nostalgia or fear about it. It's just observation sir.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

Since many of our jobs now are service oriented I can actually see that being the case. You teach a job that can be done by wrote where no mentorship is really required. Very few apprentice type professions still left that people want to do.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I have been turned down at least 5 times trying to get retail jobs at several places because I was overqualified and they thought I would not stick around.

I had 1 manager who was super excited to hire me because he knew my situation and he was rebuffed by the district manager.

One of the reasons was because I was a theft risk as well because of my education.:shrug
Ever considered police work. Come to Fort Worth and we'll hire you despite your over education! :buddy

2233boys

Not So New Member
I'm not saying it is limited to young folk. I see it in all age groups. But my personal experience has been that I see it far more in people under 30 than others. I don't have any nostalgia or fear about it. It's just observation sir.
I am not calling you specifically out, because I get what you are saying and I see it too, but again, it happens with every older generation.

That was the point. It seems we are hard wired to think we did more with less, that the younger generation is somehow lessor than us, etc. It happens with every generation, where there may be some observational evidence in our own personal lives, it can be jaded by our perspectives, and it isn't germane to the entire generation.

:thumbsup

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The guy that brought us Tad Amount just used the word germane correctly. Up is down and cats and dogs love each other..

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The guy that brought us Tad Amount just used the word germane correctly. Up is down and cats and dogs love each other..
Wasn't Germane on of the Jackson 5.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ever considered police work. Come to Fort Worth and we'll hire you despite your over education! :buddy
No I am good being a teacher.

Thought about being a police but I knew I would never be gung ho enough about the work to give it the effort needed.

Top Bottom