Why Young Americans Are Giving Up on Capitalism

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
It's also very enlightening how everything else in the article is ignored except for the 15 dollar minimum wage part.

I don't believe in a 15 dollar federal minimum wage but some cities definitely need that to combat the price of housing.
There are young people going out and succeeding in life and doing well. Those aren't the ones moaning about a $15 dollar minimum wage. It's those that have no drive to get beyond working the types of jobs most people of our era considered starter jobs, not ones that we wanted to work forever to raise families on etc. It's those that do, and the left that supports it because they know those people while working, still rely heavily on the government for other things.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I think you'll find whatever you're looking for whenever you want to stereotype an entire generation of people. It's called confirmations bias.
As a rule we are getting lazier as a country. It is pretty much a fact that we don't work as hard as we did so I could see how someone like LT would see the obvious. That is why we a fatter now than ever.

Do you really want to compare the typical work day for the average American from generations ago? It doesn't even make sense to argue that point IMO.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As a rule we are getting lazier as a country. It is pretty much a fact that we don't work as hard as we did so I could see how someone like LT would see the obvious. That is why we a fatter now than ever.

Do you really want to compare the typical work day for the average American from generations ago? It doesn't even make sense to argue that point IMO.
Townsend has gained his insights from reading someone else's ideas. I have observed the changes from real life circumstances for quite a while. It is a generalization but that is how the author of the article posed their premise and that is how I responded. Townsend chooses to use the term a biased confirmation but it is actually a comparative realization.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

And no one wants to do manual labor anymore. Trade jobs all pay more than $15 dollars an hour for the most part but no one who went to college and got a 4 year Liberal Arts degree wants to do them. I really think part of the problem is we have taught everyone that they have to go to college. And then they go and get a degree but can't get a job in the field they got a degree in jecause everyone is getting a degree these days. And they feel like they are too good at that point for manual labor. And by manual labor I mean things people would traditionally go to a trade school for.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's also very enlightening how everything else in the article is ignored except for the 15 dollar minimum wage part.

I don't believe in a 15 dollar federal minimum wage but some cities definitely need that to combat the price of housing.
Giving people more money to spend on housing is just about the stupidest fucking thing you could do to combat the price of housing. Seriously, are you brain dead? I know we give you shit about being dumb, so to be clear I'm asking in a no joking type of way... what the fuck are you taking about?

Increasing wages in cities with housing shortages will make housing prices continue to skyrocket.

Haven't you heard of this thing called the student loan crisis?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but most k through HS teachers I've known have usually been religious, family values Republicans.

Academia is liberal AF, though.
As a person who works closely with academics, I can confirm.

Cotton

Staff member
I think you'll find whatever you're looking for whenever you want to stereotype an entire generation of people. It's called confirmations bias.
Sometimes generalizations hold true. Just saying.

Cotton

Staff member
There are young people going out and succeeding in life and doing well. Those aren't the ones moaning about a $15 dollar minimum wage. It's those that have no drive to get beyond working the types of jobs most people of our era considered starter jobs, not ones that we wanted to work forever to raise families on etc. It's those that do, and the left that supports it because they know those people while working, still rely heavily on the government for other things.
The left supports those kinds of people because they know it is very easy to get their vote.

Yeah, I said it.

Cotton

Staff member
And no one wants to do manual labor anymore. Trade jobs all pay more than $15 dollars an hour for the most part but no one who went to college and got a 4 year Liberal Arts degree wants to do them. I really think part of the problem is we have taught everyone that they have to go to college. And then they go and get a degree but can't get a job in the field they got a degree in jecause everyone is getting a degree these days. And they feel like they are too good at that point for manual labor. And by manual labor I mean things people would traditionally go to a trade school for.
I can tell you, from a personal experience point of view, you are absolutely correct.

I don't have a degree. I busted my ass and worked my way up. Man, we have had this conversation before, and I'm pretty sure it resulted in PMs thrown my way. :lol

But, seriously, you work hard and try your best to learn and retain what is taught to you in your training, and you will not stay on that frontline. Thing is, the vast majority of kids today don't feel they should have to put in that effort. If you aren't willing to work hard, then you will never be satisfied with where you are in life. Wanting something given to you will almost always land you in disappointment in the workplace.

Cotton

Staff member
Giving people more money to spend on housing is just about the stupidest fucking thing you could do to combat the price of housing. Seriously, are you brain dead? I know we give you shit about being dumb, so to be clear I'm asking in a no joking type of way... what the fuck are you taking about?

Increasing wages in cities with housing shortages will make housing prices continue to skyrocket.

Economics science!

Jiggyfly

Banned
And you know this how?

How many people advocating for 15 dollars an hour do you know personally about their background and work ethic?

And tie it all up with a blast against the left for good measure.

I mean really how do you know about the "drive" of all of these people?

Jiggyfly

Banned

I am not advocating wage raises as the only thing to combat housing shortages, so slow down there big boy.

I am saying mainly that minimum wage should tie in with the overall cost of living in a area and housing is usually a huge part of that.

I have no idea what student loans have to do with it, unless you mean with more money available the loan business took of.:shrug

Even then there are more variables involved than just that.

Jiggyfly

Banned

But we are more productive as a nation than many years ago, so how does that fit into your narrative?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But we are more productive as a nation than many years ago, so how does that fit into your narrative?
Actually that is incorrect. This country is at an all time high on trade deficits and foreign debt. That is primarily due to inadequate domestic production. Even though statistics might show that domestic production has increased, the rate of production is not adequate enough to offset or diminish trade deficits or foreign debt.

Cotton

Staff member
Ok smart guy explain the science in that.

This should be interesting.:lol
There is a very in depth science to economics. I'm assuming (hoping) it's not a subject you teach.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I am not advocating wage raises as the only thing to combat housing shortages, so slow down there big boy.

I am saying mainly that minimum wage should tie in with the overall cost of living in a area and housing is usually a huge part of that.

I have no idea what student loans have to do with it, unless you mean with more money available the loan business took of.:shrug

Even then there are more variables involved than just that.
The student loan crisis is a prime example of when money is easily available for the purveyor of a particular in-demand service. The feds made loan money available, but instead of making it affordable, they just made the price of college skyrocket. Because colleges had carte blanche to charge more money since people had access to more money.

In markets where housing is out of control, an across-the-board sudden increase in low-class wages will absolutely result in landlords jacking up their rents because they will know that their tenants can afford it.

The only people who would profit in this scenario is the land owners. Kinda defeats the purpose, right Karl Marx?

The problem with the housing shortage is primarily due to regulation, zoning, and lack of relocation ability/commuting hardships.

For example, everyone telecommuted to work, watch housing prices plummet. Cause you could now live anywhere.

Not saying this is a "practical" current solution, just an example. Raising the minimum wage artificially surely would not work.

2233boys

Not So New Member
The student loan crisis is a prime example of when money is easily available for the purveyor of a particular in-demand service. The feds made loan money available, but instead of making it affordable, they just made the price of college skyrocket. Because colleges had carte blanche to charge more money since people had access to more money.

In markets where housing is out of control, an across-the-board sudden increase in low-class wages will absolutely result in landlords jacking up their rents because they will know that their tenants can afford it.

The only people who would profit in this scenario is the land owners. Kinda defeats the purpose, right Karl Marx?

The problem with the housing shortage is primarily due to regulation, zoning, and lack of relocation ability/commuting hardships.

For example, everyone telecommuted to work, watch housing prices plummet. Cause you could now live anywhere.

Not saying this is a "practical" current solution, just an example. Raising the minimum wage artificially surely would not work.
Couple Question not meant to be a loaded questions.

What do you mean be artificially increasing the minimum wage? Shouldn't it raise with the cost of living index?

Follow up can wages be artificially kept low and stagnant?

Are either of these things happening now?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Couple Question not meant to be a loaded questions.

What do you mean be artificially increasing the minimum wage? Shouldn't it raise with the cost of living index?

Follow up can wages be artificially kept low and stagnant?

Are either of these things happening now?
I'm just saying if all other factors which effect housing prices remained equal, but all of a sudden everyone in the lowest income tiers went from $10 an hour to $15 an hour, you would see a dramatic rise in the cost of housing.

In a situation where demand outstrips supply, the suppliers are going to keep raising rates until demand can't keep up. All a minimum wage hike does, in such a unique demand-driven market like one experiencing a housing shortage, is increase rents.

As to what the minimum wage "should" or "shouldn't" do, I mean, there is legit debate as to whether it should even exist, and to an extent (ie the black market of "under the table" employment), it does not, thus exposing the hypocrisy that "every job deserves a living wage." No, really, not every job does. Maybe it's time that fast food jobs, which are soon going to be exposed as basically zero value adds to employers, start being considered as jobs that you shouldn't try to raise a family on.

Like babysitting.

townsend

Banned
I'm just saying if all other factors which effect housing prices remained equal, but all of a sudden everyone in the lowest income tiers went from $10 an hour to $15 an hour, you would see a dramatic rise in the cost of housing.

In a situation where demand outstrips supply, the suppliers are going to keep raising rates until demand can't keep up. All a minimum wage hike does, in such a unique demand-driven market like one experiencing a housing shortage, is increase rents.

As to what the minimum wage "should" or "shouldn't" do, I mean, there is legit debate as to whether it should even exist, and to an extent (ie the black market of "under the table" employment), it does not, thus exposing the hypocrisy that "every job deserves a living wage." No, really, not every job does. Maybe it's time that fast food jobs, which are soon going to be exposed as basically zero value adds to employers, start being considered as jobs that you shouldn't try to raise a family on.

Like babysitting.
It's funny because if you start a daycare you can make a fuck ton of money. "Babysitting" may not be profitiable, but childcare is a gold mine.

Fast food workers are still not dispensible. Maybe the person who takes your order is, but a robit won't be able to cook food well for a while. There's a lot of moving parts between ordering and getting food. And there's only so much customer service you can automate. A lot of companies are learning that they need real people in their call centers, because robots can't reliably listen to customer concerns.

I do think you have a point with rental prices rising. You can tell that that will constantly be pushed to the very top of what the market can bear. I think we'll start to see more companies offering some kind of housing to their employees (like the military does) as part of their benefits package. Obviously you cant't demand that as part of a minimum wage.

Top Bottom