Who would you trade Dak Prescott for?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a good thread. Don't worry that Dak is beginning to develop a stepford following.
I don't know if I agree with that. RB's come and go all of the time. One year a guy has a 1000 yard season and the next he is barely in the NFL. Now I think Zeke is different than most backs but to me RB is a far more volatile position than QB.

How many QBs have a season as good as Daks and than fall to total shit? It seems like that is pretty rare if not unheard of. I guess you'll say RGIII but has any other QB come close to that?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't know if I agree with that. RB's come and go all of the time. One year a guy has a 1000 yard season and the next he is barely in the NFL. Now I think Zeke is different than most backs but to me RB is a far more volatile position than QB.

How many QBs have a season as good as Daks and than fall to total shit? It seems like that is pretty rare if not unheard of. I guess you'll say RGIII but has any other QB come close to that?
And RG3's year just so happened to be the one season where the read option took over the league before it got figured out, his success was almost wholly dependent on that system.

Dak was basically running a pro style passing attack with a handful of read option plays mixed in.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't trade Dak but I do trade Garrett.
Process not yet complete.

Please stand by for further processing.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If he puts up let's say, 28 passing TD's, 12 INT's, 5 rushing TD's, and 4,100 yards on 64% completion percentage next year, would you trade him for any other QB's then?

Let's assume Rodgers keeps doing what he's been doing for the past 6-8 years but Ryan comes back to Earth after a career year and puts up, let's say, 30 TD's to 15 INT's.
I'd probably be more hesitant, but it depends what we saw out of Brady, Mariota, Winston, Wentz, Goff, etc., and how far we got under Dak. If we got to the Superbowl that makes a difference to me.

Genghis Khan

Foles, majkowski, Schaub, Grbac, Bono, off the top of my head.

Plenty of running backs have as well, but it's generally a more secure evaluation.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Really?

I would take Mariota over Wentz no questions asked.

Both were number two picks, Mariota was more seasoned coming out of college, he doesn't have the technique issues Wentz has, he's put up 45 TD's to 19 INT's over his first two years while Wentz only put up 16/14, and Mariota's YPA is significantly better.

And it's not like Mariota has some amazing offensive cast around him, especially not as a rookie. His OL is very good and Murray had a strong season last year but as a rookie he barely had anything around him and had a much better rookie year than Wentz.

This whole "Eagles WR" thing has taken on a life of it's own when it comes to bailing out Wentz. I mean yea, their WR's were not good at all last year but Jordan Matthews/Ertz/Sproles is not the worst group in the league, it's below average but it's certainly not ungodly horrific.

The fact of the matter is this, Wentz became a media darling over the first month of the year because they played shit teams and his stats looked good because he was mostly just making short, easy, high percentage throws. Then reality set in but everybody just clamped down on their skill position talent, and while it wasn't good, like genghis said, the dirty little secret nobody acknowledges is that Wentz was not that good either.

As a rookie Mariota only had Delanie Walker/Dorial Green-Beckham/Harry Douglas/Kendall Wright (and no legitimate running game to speak of) and yet he still put up far superior stats compared to Wentz.

This guy Wentz has a long way to go to be anything more than an average to above average QB and he's basically still living off the hype generated when he "came out of nowhere" during the draft process.
I agree. It feels like Mariota will be around for a long time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd probably be more hesitant, but it depends what we saw out of Brady, Mariota, Winston, Wentz, Goff, etc., and how far we got under Dak. If we got to the Superbowl that makes a difference to me.
There is quite literally nothing that is reasonably realistic that any of those five could do next season that would make me take them over Dak if he puts up that type of season.

The only one who would give me pause for a second is Brady, because you'd have to feel like we would almost definitely win it all if he could give us 3 elite years, but I think I'd rather gamble on 10-15 out of Dak than 3 of Brady when he could decline any time now.

Genghis Khan

There is quite literally nothing that is reasonably realistic that any of those five could do next season that would make me take them over Dak if he puts up that type of season.

The only one who would give me pause for a second is Brady, because you'd have to feel like we would almost definitely win it all if he could give us 3 elite years, but I think I'd rather gamble on 10-15 out of Dak than 3 of Brady when he could decline any time now.
Here's an example of where I'm coming from: let's say Winston has a very good year statistically and also wins the Superbowl. Yeah, I would rather have Winston in that scenario.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Here's an example of where I'm coming from: let's say Winston has a very good year statistically and also wins the Superbowl. Yeah, I would rather have Winston in that scenario.
I said something "reasonably realistic".

This guy has 50 TD's to 33 INT's and less than a 60% completion percentage over two years and now he's going to win the Super Bowl and put up something like 30 TD's to 10 INT's in the process?

Not happening.

Genghis Khan

I said something "reasonably realistic".

This guy has 50 TD's to 33 INT's and less than a 60% completion percentage over two years and now he's going to win the Super Bowl and put up something like 30 TD's to 10 INT's in the process?

Not happening.
Then substitute Mariota or whomever. The point remains. And if Dak has a good year and we win the Superbowl I'm not trading him.

Btw I don't think 4000 yards is realistic in this offense for Dak so there's that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Then substitute Mariota or whomever. The point remains. And if Dak has a good year and we win the Superbowl I'm not trading him.

Btw I don't think 4000 yards is realistic in this offense for Dak so there's that.
He was on pace for 3800+ had he played the full 16 games and not sat out the final game, aside from about two drives.

You're basically saying that if one of the young QB's with less than 5 years of experience wins a Super Bowl you'd take him over Dak, which is extremely unlikely and only illustrates the rarity of the type of player that you'd want in return.

I like Tennessee and Tampa Bay as young and improving teams but they aren't winning it all next year, and the Eagles/Rams certainly aren't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Foles, majkowski, Schaub, Grbac, Bono, off the top of my head.

Plenty of running backs have as well, but it's generally a more secure evaluation.
None of those guys has seasons as good as Daks though. Hell Nick Foles has never even thrown for 3000 yards in a season. He had like 13 games in his career that were damn good in a Chip Kelly offense that the league was still figuring out but obviously no one thought that highly of him. Hell even Chip Kelly didn't like him that much.

Majkowski, never had a season that even comes close to Daks. Grbac's best seasons where at the end of his career. And are you talking about Steve Bono? That guy never had a QB rating above 79 as a starter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was on pace for 3800+ had he played the full 16 games and not sat out the final game, aside from about two drives.

You're basically saying that if one of the young QB's with less than 5 years of experience wins a Super Bowl you'd take him over Dak, which is extremely unlikely and only illustrates the rarity of the type of player that you'd want in return.

I like Tennessee and Tampa Bay as young and improving teams but they aren't winning it all next year, and the Eagles/Rams certainly aren't.
Not only that but they would have to win a Superbowl and the QB would have to be a big part of it. Obviously the NFL has seen some sub par QBs win the Superbowl as well. I mean shit Joey Flacco won a Superbowl but he didn't have a season nearly as good as Dak's last year. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have won Superbowls in the past and I sure as shit wouldn't trade Dak for a young version of either of those guys.

townsend

Banned
Not only that but they would have to win a Superbowl and the QB would have to be a big part of it. Obviously the NFL has seen some sub par QBs win the Superbowl as well. I mean shit Joey Flacco won a Superbowl but he didn't have a season nearly as good as Dak's last year. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have won Superbowls in the past and I sure as shit wouldn't trade Dak for a young version of either of those guys.
Let's not forget busted ass Peyton Manning. Also Kaepernick came within a non-call of winning instead of Flacco.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This is interesting. I was/am bullish on Winston, but I would rather have Dak at this point. His mobility is a big bonus to me. Dak needs to work on the deep ball, but otherwise I don't see a big difference. Winston also seems to force the issue of being a leader...some of his pump up diatribes on the sideline come off as fake. Dak smartly deferred to vets last year, but his leadership will grow organically.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is interesting. I was/am bullish on Winston, but I would rather have Dak at this point. His mobility is a big bonus to me. Dak needs to work on the deep ball, but otherwise I don't see a big difference. Winston also seems to force the issue of being a leader...some of his pump up diatribes on the sideline come off as fake. Dak smartly deferred to vets last year, but his leadership will grow organically.
Winston also takes a bunch of unnecessary risks and makes some dumbass decisions with the ball where he more or less just throws it up for grabs in a crowd. Dak hardly ever did that as a rookie.

Could be because Winston has no running game to speak of but Dak was pretty risk averse in college as well.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Winston showed with his ridiculous head-butt in Dallas why he's kind of a loser, at least at this point of his career.

I'd laugh out loud thinking you were joking if you told me Dak did that.

He's just too composed to self-destruct like that.

Top Bottom