Week 8 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys @ Redskins | 10-29-2017

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shit it's not even like he didn't have blockers. There were Cowboys players who clearly got back to block for him.

Does sort of remind me of someone playing madden who forgets which button is the dive button and just goes down for no reason.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Looks like he wants to take a knee when he first catches it.
Right, which is why I said last night that I didn't think he was told by the coaches to do that.

Then he has a talk with the coaches on the sideline immediately afterward as if they are trying to talk about what happened.

Nothing about his body language during and after the play suggests that the decision to do what he did came from the staff.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Second time you've said this. What makes you think this?
He just seems dumb to me, I dunno, times I've heard him talk. The fact that he got a fucking tattoo inside his lip. He seems like kind of a dumb hick if you ask me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Quick breakdown of what is going to happen in the division.

First, we have to beat the Eagles twice to win it unless they just completely go in the tank down the stretch, we basically already know that.

So with that in mind obviously I'd love to win our next two going into the first Philly game but even if we go 1-1, and then beat Philly in Dallas, we'd be sitting at 6-4 with them at 8-2.

The 5 game stretch after that first matchup but before the season finale look very similar, for both teams Philly has vs. CHI, @SEA, @Rams, @Giants, vs OAK, we have vs. Chargers, vs. WAS, @NYG, vs SEA, @OAK.

If we're 6-4 and they're 8-2 after the first matchup in Dallas we need to win one more game than them over that 5 game stretch to make the final game for the division. If we somehow manage to beat the Chiefs and Falcons, or if the Broncos can beat the Eagles, we basically just need to have the same record over that 5 game stretch.

Either way I think it's doable, even if we're 6-4 and they're 8-2 I could easily see them losing at Seattle and LA, with us going 4-1 over that stretch.

The funny thing is that if we lose to Philly in Dallas we have to start rooting for them as the Seahawks and Rams will both be in the wild card hunt until the end.

midswat

... soon
Along the lines of your post, [MENTION=70]Simpleton[/MENTION], I started to do a NFC playoff tracker thread this AM to kind of guage where we were and who was playing who this week. Just a little thing I did every week on other forums. But (1) too time consuming (2) I'm too apathetic. Still, in looking at it, I think these next two games for us are huge (KC, @ ATL). Might be over reacting, but it really feels like if we go 1-1, it's a dog fight to get to the playoffs, especially if ATL is the loss. If we go 0-2, might as well give up all hope. If we go 2-0, we're likely to win the division IMO.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We all know Dallas is not gonna win the rest of it's games.

We have to

1) Beat Philly twice
2) Really run the table on the rest of the division, those are easy, in-pocket wins that we can't blow, and
3) When we lose, it's against the AFC (KC next week, Oakland or LA as maybe our let-down game).

We really cannot afford to lose to teams like Atlanta and Seattle. We are already WAAAAAAY behind the tiebreaker 8-ball with losses to other potential wild card teams in Green Bay and the Rams. My Green Bay fan co-worker attorney was explaining to me that if Green Bay can stay afloat till like week 14 or 15, Aaron Rodgers may be back. They have an easy schedule, they could in theory be 7-6 or 8-5 when Rodgers returns. We cannot be in a three way tiebreaker with GB and the Rams, we lose it since we lost to both those teams. If we lose to Atlanta, or Seattle, we lose three way tiebreakers with any of them then. In fact even a three way tiebreaker with GB and Seattle, we lose, since Green Bay has beaten us and Seattle.

We need to start establishing head-to-head tie breakers, giving some of these competing wild card teams some losses, and establishing some stay-alive scenarios in three way tiebreakers.

If we can't win the division, which is an eminent possibility.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Along the lines of your post, [MENTION=70]Simpleton[/MENTION], I started to do a NFC playoff tracker thread this AM to kind of guage where we were and who was playing who this week. Just a little thing I did every week on other forums. But (1) too time consuming (2) I'm too apathetic. Still, in looking at it, I think these next two games for us are huge (KC, @ ATL). Might be over reacting, but it really feels like if we go 1-1, it's a dog fight to get to the playoffs, especially if ATL is the loss. If we go 0-2, might as well give up all hope. If we go 2-0, we're likely to win the division IMO.
KC shouldn't matter as much.

Atlanta is massive. Almost a must win.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We all know Dallas is not gonna win the rest of it's games.

We have to

1) Beat Philly twice
2) Really run the table on the rest of the division, those are easy, in-pocket wins that we can't blow, and
3) When we lose, it's against the AFC (KC next week, Oakland or LA as maybe our let-down game).

We really cannot afford to lose to teams like Atlanta and Seattle. We are already WAAAAAAY behind the tiebreaker 8-ball with losses to other potential wild card teams in Green Bay and the Rams. My Green Bay fan co-worker attorney was explaining to me that if Green Bay can stay afloat till like week 14 or 15, Aaron Rodgers may be back. They have an easy schedule, they could in theory be 7-6 or 8-5 when Rodgers returns. We cannot be in a three way tiebreaker with GB and the Rams, we lose it since we lost to both those teams. If we lose to Atlanta, or Seattle, we lose three way tiebreakers with any of them then. In fact even a three way tiebreaker with GB and Seattle, we lose, since Green Bay has beaten us and Seattle.

We need to start establishing head-to-head tie breakers, giving some of these competing wild card teams some losses, and establishing some stay-alive scenarios in three way tiebreakers.

If we can't win the division, which is an eminent possibility.
He had 12 screws put in his collar bone. Aaron Rodgers isn't coming back and they won't be close to the wild card.

data

Forbes #1
We’ve gotta be huge Saints fans. They still have to play the Panthers once, Rams once and Falcons twice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still a ton of wild card teams to contend with. Have to beat Atlanta and Seattle.
We just have to get to 10-11 wins. It's really that simple. I doubt the Panthers and Saints keep it up all season. I expect both of those pretenders will fall off.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think we have to beat KC to have any real chance to make the playoffs.

KC is going to be very tough, but it would be the first marquee win of the season so far, and it could give us the boost we need for the 2nd half of the season.

Now, let's say we pull this one out. I think we can at least split with Philly, so that's 1 win. I think we beat Seattle because their offense doesn't scare me. Our defense sucks, but I think they can do enough to slow them down, plus the game is in Dallas so I would suspect we win.

We'll beat the Chargers at home on Thanksgiving as well, and the Redskins in Dallas should be a win. That's 9 wins I feel confident in IF we beat KC this week.

I don't like our defensive matchup vs Atlanta or Oakland. I think we lose @Philly, and something about that game in NY worries me. I'm not prepared to call that a win just yet.

So I do think we can get 9 wins out that schedule, but whether it's 10 or more largely depends on what we do this weekend, IMO.

Oh, and then you gotta hope that Zeke guy doesn't get suspended.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He had 12 screws put in his collar bone. Aaron Rodgers isn't coming back and they won't be close to the wild card.
Yea and even if he does somehow manage to make it back for the last 2 games they're going to be out of it. Hundley is horrendous and the only reason they weren't blown out by the Saints is because Brees kept throwing INT's once they were in scoring position, and they still lost by like 9.

Even if Rodgers were to make it back for the last 2 games I think they're going to be something like 6-8.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] [MENTION=206]Chocolate Lab[/MENTION]

One key detail I forgot to mention in that recap of the Texans/Seawhawks game was the terrible decision by O'Brien to play it safe against the Seahawks on 3rd and 4.

A conversion there, and the game is over. But not only did this guy elect to run instead of letting his hot QB win the game for him, but he did so knowing how awful his defense is and after seeing how the exact same approach vs the Patriots earlier in the season resulted in a loss.

Apparently, O'Brien has some Jason Garrett in him in that he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

I never liked the guy as a coach so I hope he stays with the Texans for years to come.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think we have to beat KC to have any real chance to make the playoffs.
I don't agree. I think if you are resigned to us losing another game, or two, or three, then you should plan on KC being one of them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't agree. I think if you are resigned to us losing another game, or two, or three, then you should plan on KC being one of them.
We just need wins. You can't prioritize who you want those wins against. Above all the most important thing to do is win 10 games. If you can't do that you don't make the playoffs.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not necessarily true.

The Cowboys would be in a much better position both statistically and from a morale standpoint if they pull of this win and end the 1st half of the season with a winning record and 3 game winning streak.

Even the best teams are on edge when there's no margin for error and it affects their play. I wouldn't like the Cowboys odds under these conditions if they had to go into the 2nd half at 4-4.

We just need wins. You can't prioritize who you want those wins against. Above all the most important thing to do is win 10 games. If you can't do that you don't make the playoffs.
Yup.

And as I said already, I like their chances of getting to those 10 if they can to 5-3 at the halfway mark.

If not, you're asking them to go 6-2 with a bad defense and I think that's asking a little too much.

midswat

... soon
I get what mschmidt is saying. We're not going to win out, so if/when we do take the L's, it'd be preferable to take them against the AFC and win out against NFC.

Or to put it better, AFC losses hurt less.

But I disagree that a loss to KC doesn't matter. It obviously does.

Top Bottom