Week 3 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys at Seahawks | 9-23-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It might be the best case scenario because it would set us up to keep Garrett and perhaps really tank next year. The 2019 class is going to be weak I'm pretty sure, although obviously you can't plan on tanking a year in advance.
Naw, f' that. Garrett needs to go IMMEDIATELY. The best case scenario is for this team to win 3 or 4 games and for him to be shown the door. The Cowboys then would likely be in position to draft one of the top two QBs in the draft. In your scenario you're fading too far into Schmitty territory where it seems like you're suggesting that conditions need to be absolutely perfect for the Cowboys to draft a franchise QB. But that's not the case.

Of course you're not going to find an Peyton Manning/can't miss at the top of every draft, but there are a lot of Jared Goff types that come out practically every year, and that's really all the Cowboys need. A QB who can regularly complete passes 10 yards beyond the LOS and who can put up at least 230 yards passing in his sleep.

That's a better plan than continuing to kick the can down the road hoping to position ourselves for the next Manning. Those types only come around every 5 years or so.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We could possibly finish 8-8 or even 9-7, and miss out on a shot to draft a real QB. That would be just about be the worst case scenario.
End up giving up picks to move up
I'm not even sure that blue Chip QB's are coming up
If you aren't in position to draft a QB, then you mortgage the future to go get one. Two firsts, two seconds, and change, whatever.

If you have ID'd the proper QB, that is.

Which it's obvious we liked Wentz, but then we also liked Lynch, so, who the fuck knows.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
This is hard to tolerate year after year for the past 23 years. Personally my expectations were pretty low. Thinking maybe Dak would possibly rebound. Sure didn't expect our defense to look this good (not counting today).
But this offense is so bad I don't think anyone could have imagined they would be this incapable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Naw, f' that. Garrett needs to go IMMEDIATELY. The best case scenario is for this team to win 3 or 4 games and for him to be shown the door. The Cowboys then would likely be in position to draft one of the top two QBs in the draft. In your scenario you're fading too far into Schmitty territory where it seems like you're suggesting that conditions need to be absolutely perfect for the QBs to draft a franchise QB. But that's not the case.

Of course you're not going to find an Peyton Manning/can't miss at the top of every draft, but there are a lot of Jared Goff types that come out practically every year, and that's really all the Cowboys need. A QB who can regularly complete passes 10 yards beyond the LOS and who can put up at least 230 yards passing in his sleep.

That's a better plan than continuing to kick the can down the road hoping to position ourselves for the next Manning. Those types only come around every 5 years or so.
Garrett and this offensive staff just need to get the fuck out as soon as possible. No point in talking about anything else until they are gone.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Naw, f' that. Garrett needs to go IMMEDIATELY. The best case scenario is for this team to win 3 or 4 games and for him to be shown the door. The Cowboys then would likely be in position to draft one of the top two QBs in the draft. In your scenario you're fading too far into Schmitty territory where it seems like you're suggesting that conditions need to be absolutely perfect for the QBs to draft a franchise QB. But that's not the case.

Another point that I didn't mention is that by continuing to kick the can down the road "hoping" to be in position to draft a QB in 2020 or beyond is all the young talent on defense will slowly start going elsewhere. Rookie contracts will be up and we're going to lose a lot of these young player that we like because we won't be able to afford to keep them.

Not to mention, that's 2 more years of wear and tear on Zeke that we'd be throwing away.

So, nah, fuck that. Draft a new QB at the top of next year's draft rather than continue to piss away this small window of "prime football years" that these guys have.

data

Forbes #1
Hang on to Dak for another two years and we can sign 44-year old Tom Brady. Testaverde as backup.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Peyton Manning is a lot more rare than once every five years.

There is something to Simp's argument, if the draft class if the Jake Locker draft class, but everyone and their mother knew those QBs were getting overdrafted. A class like that is rare.

Most years will have a competent QB or two. 2010-14 had a bad string of high QBs or lack of QBs, but of the names coming out next year, it already appears better than a class like 2011 or 2014.

data

Forbes #1
Well...NE vs Det. I'd like to enjoy one contest today with two pro-level teams simultaneously on the field

data

Forbes #1
Please post any updates on Sean Lee. I dont think he played the entire 4th.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Another point that I didn't mention is that by continuing to kick the can down the road "hoping" to be in position to draft a QB in 2020 or beyond is all the young talent on defense will slowly start going elsewhere. Rookie contracts will be up and we're going to lose a lot of these young player that we like because we won't be able to afford to keep them.

Not to mention, that's 2 more years of wear and tear on Zeke that we'd be throwing away.

So, nah, fuck that. Draft a new QB at the top of next year's draft rather than continue to piss away this small window of "prime football years" that these guys have.
Drew Lock, Justin Herbert, maybe someone else climbs.

1bigfan13

Staff member
This is hard to tolerate year after year for the past 23 years. Personally my expectations were pretty low. Thinking maybe Dak would possibly rebound. Sure didn't expect our defense to look this good (not counting today).
But this offense is so bad I don't think anyone could have imagined they would be this incapable.
Uh, I called it since day one for the following reasons.

1. Sub par coaching staff with predictable, unimaginative schemes.
2. A group of young QBs who lack confidence and accuracy.
3. Bargain basement talent at WR and TE.
4. An inexperienced, unqualified QB coach (basically a case of the blind leading the blind)

The writing was on the wall. How could anyone not see this coming?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hard to argue that at this point. Even bad QBs like Weeden and Cassel accidentally threw for 250 yards from time to time. Dud Prescott can't barely hit 160.
No, it's perfectly fine that he averages under 200 ypg. Yards passing is a meaningless stat.

lulz

1bigfan13

Staff member
Drew Lock, Justin Herbert, maybe someone else climbs.
I actually like both of those guys. I watched some of their games yesterday. They threw with more confidence and anticipation than I've seen from Dak since 2016. And their mechanics appear to be solid.

I'm not sure why Simp would thumb his nose at those two. I can easily see those guys at least being Kirk Cousin type QBs, which really isn't a bad thing.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I defended Dak last year, made excuses for him (i.e. "Zeke is out", Tyron is out"). Kept saying "Come on, just give him a little more time. Dont give up on him yet".
I quit, don't want to see him take another snap. Sometimes a guy just can't do it.
Dak is one of the those guys

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom