Week 3 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys at Seahawks | 9-23-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What I don't get is why they completely got rid of the read option....it's what finally got us looking at least halfass decent last week so the gameplan this week is...pocket passing?
Blame Goof Son. He said running Prescott was not sustainable.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm just not a big fan of either at this particular moment, they could set the world on fire over the next 2-3 months but right now I look at them more like a Trubisky or Bortles than a Goff.

Lock has a massive arm but he has accuracy, pocket presence and overall consistency issues, he definitely throws a pretty ball though and can take the top off any defense. Many of Herbert's throws on the other hand are manufactured, almost every college offense is based on some sort of spread/read option principles, but the throws he's making there are much less pro style than, say, Goff at California.

The offense they're running is much more like what Griffin ran at Baylor and I also worry that he has very little experience with what amounts to amount 1.5 seasons of starts under his belt at this point. He looked really good last night though so we'll see.

Like I said, they could kill it over the next few months but I think it's much more likely that we're looking at a couple of Trubisky type prospects whereas I think Tagovailoa and Haskins could be much higher level prospects.

Will Grier might be another guy to watch although I haven't watched him especially closely.
I was just going to ask everybodys thoughts on Grier. Typical Big 12 crazy numbers but is it they typical system?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm watching yesterday's Chiefs/49ers game and it's astonishing to see the gap in creativity from what the Chiefs are doing compared to the Cowboys stale system.

I'll see if I can find video of one of the plays that really impressed me. It was a handoff that only went for about 6 yards but the deception in the play design was exceptional. It was something that Dallas' coaching staff could easily incorporate into their offense.....if they had an ounce of creativity in them.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I was just going to ask everybodys thoughts on Grier. Typical Big 12 crazy numbers but is it they typical system?
You can't always dismiss Big 12 QBs because of the conference. Grier is an accurate passer with decent arm strength. I don't consider him a top of the 1st round talent but I could see him going in the mid-late first round or early second.

Plus I've seen him make quite a few throws into tight windows, so it's not like he's just throwing to WRs who are wide open.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You can't always dismiss Big 12 QBs because of the conference. Grier is an accurate passer with decent arm strength. I don't consider him a top of the 1st round talent but I could see him going in the mid-late first round or early second.

Plus I've seen him make quite a few throws into tight windows, so it's not like he's just throwing to WRs who are wide open.
This is pretty much what I think from the little I've seen of him. I'll watch him closer but he could be a trade up into the 1st type of guy, though we won't do it unless we have a new coach who pushes for it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You can't always dismiss Big 12 QBs because of the conference.
Exactly. The two biggest QB stories in the league right now are Big 12 QBs.

Rev

Staff member

Well if he is mid to late 1st now then you have to figure je will climb to the top by draft time. Personally I want Tag but not sure I can take another bad year.

Rev

Staff member
Exactly. The two biggest QB stories in the league right now are Big 12 QBs.
I didnt mean to sound like I was discounting the Big 12 QB system. I know that has been the perception in the past. I just havent watched much WVU to say whether it was or not.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I didnt mean to sound like I was discounting the Big 12 QB system. I know that has been the perception in the past. I just havent watched much WVU to say whether it was or not.
I haven't either, so I honestly have no idea about him.

I do know Holgersen traditionally has run the ball much more than most "air raid" QBs. So it's not like he's coming from an offense like Mike Leach runs.

Landry

DCC 4Life
I tried to log in to watch the game with you guys yesterday. For some reason, either Comcast or the web site wouldn't let me in. Probably better off. 13 more games of this :roboclap

GShock

DCC 4Life

GShock

DCC 4Life

GShock

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life
i was talking about this in another thread. I think he either renegotiates (like he's done before) or he's a goner.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Time for Sean Lee to be shown the door as well. He couldn't be trusted to stay healthy when he was in his mid-20s, so it would be wishful thinking to believe he could consistently give you 14 games a year now that he's well into his 30s.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is the same basic concept that I saw them run twice against the Panthers in the first half, they often like to run it to Williams dragging across the formation, which led me to say that the offense hadn't changed at all.

This concept worked like a charm in 2016, then they overused it, everybody knew exactly what we liked to run, and it was pretty much sniffed out during the first half of 2017 and has barely worked since. Of course the coaches haven't been able to adjust to that fact yet and have continued to run it into the ground.

p1_

DCC 4Life
They’re grasping at straws.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
If cutting Sean Lee after this season saves 7 mil, do it! No brainer
It's the wise and productive way to go. Take that money and put it towards that decent cap space we'll have.
Smart decisions have to be made starting now.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jerry probably looks upon him as a son, so forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom