Week 1 Game Day Chatter | Giants vs Cowboys | 9-10-2017

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we ran into the teeth of a defense at all costs and were stopped for no gain, people would be saying why don't we allow the QB to audible out?

It's nonsense. You have to let the QB audible out. He has to have good judgment.
I would agree to an extent. In an ideal world if we were in a run and the defense looked like they were stacking the box where I intended to run, I'd at least like to see some sort of a play action boot to a TE. But yeah, if it works it's great, if it doesn't everyone bitches. I would have liked to see a run in there but I also understand that the slant to Dez worked, Dak just missed the throw. It's just as possible that we run the ball there and get stuffed for a loss.

Additionally we have the most badass O-line in the league and one of the best if not the best short yardage runners in the league. I'd like to think that even against a stacked box we can bully them for a TD there with 3 downs to gain 3 yards.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
On another note, I know some people weren't happy about the way we came out no huddle in this game but I loved it. It was a defense that had our number and coming out and doing something they didn't expect is exactly what I loved seeing. Maybe it didn't lead to TDs right away but I definitely think it had the defense on their heals and it's something that works really well for the Packers and Patriots in preventing defenses from making substitutions. Or if they do try, getting a free play as a result.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I liked the no huddle, and thought it caught the Giants by surprise. It's not something I would like to see done as a staple of our offense, but to slip in and out of it occasionally is a nice wrinkle to throw at a defense.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Scott Linehan said that Dak changed the first two plays when we had first and goal from the three from runs to passes.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article173433446.html
Dak messed up. If it worked it's no big deal, we got away with it, but in my opinion we should always play to our team's strength. Which is dominating the LOS with our powerful OL and elite RB. Not throwing fade routes and jump balls to a WR who happens to struggle versus that particular DB/secondary.

Dumb decision on Dak's part all around.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Absolutely you have to let the QB audible out if he sees fit.

His judgment was poor however.
On one of those two it wasn't. He had an open Dez. It was a great audible. He just missed on the throw.

Cotton

Staff member
I liked the no huddle, and thought it caught the Giants by surprise. It's not something I would like to see done as a staple of our offense, but to slip in and out of it occasionally is a nice wrinkle to throw at a defense.
Yep, same.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
On one of those two it wasn't. He had an open Dez. It was a great audible. He just missed on the throw.
I don't have a problem with any of the audibles individually. But if he is going to have this responsibility he has to have an eye on the big picture. You can't pass three times in a row down there with our offense. So if you check out on 1st down, you have to do it knowing that means maybe you can't on 2nd.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't have a problem with any of the audibles individually. But if he is going to have this responsibility he has to have an eye on the big picture. You can't pass three times in a row down there with our offense. So if you check out on 1st down, you have to do it knowing that means maybe you can't on 2nd.
I agree 100%. I'm just saying his judgment wasn't poor on the one that Dez was open. It was the perfect audible and should have been an easy TD. He just made a poor throw.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys face second-guessers after run-pass options didn’t work on goal line

Posted by Charean Williams on September 15, 2017, 2:44 PM EDT

When decisions work, coaches are hailed as geniuses. When they don’t, well, the Monday morning quarterbacks (or any other morning quarterbacks) have a field day.

So it was when the Cowboys reached the 3-yard line early in Sunday’s season opener against the Giants. Despite having three All-Pros on their offensive line and an All-Pro in the backfield, the Cowboys elected to throw it three times.

Or more correctly Dak Prescott elected to throw it twice on the goal line with run-pass options on first and second down, according to offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, who called a pass play on third down.

“The first two [play calls] were run/pass options, so that’s a run call,” Linehan said, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “We took two shots to Dez Bryant. We consider those long foul balls. So, yeah, I sit there, and it’s easy afterwards, you say, ‘Look, if we would have hit one of those two, we wouldn’t be talking about this.’ They were close. The second one, we missed that one. The first one he’s covered, but he’s always open one-on-one. He caught it and didn’t come down, so it wouldn’t have been a catch.

“You look back and you go, ‘Well, maybe the next time you take the [run/pass option] off the next one and you give us a chance to run.’ We throw the second one, and he’s open. I’d rather not talk about it.”

Prescott saw Bryant in one-on-one coverage on the first two downs. A fade was incomplete as Bryant couldn’t get both feet inbounds after catching the ball over Janoris Jenkins. Bryant was open on a slant on the second, but Prescott missed him.

The third-down pass, which was not a run-pass option, also was an incompletion to Bryant.

Linehan said the decision-making was good; the execution wasn’t as good. But he refuses to second-guess.

“All the social media-ites probably thought I agreed with them after it’s over, but I didn’t,” Linehan said. “We aren’t changing our approach. We’ve been one of the better red-zone teams because of our weapons so we use them all.”

Top Bottom