Week 1 Game Day Chatter | Giants vs Cowboys | 9-10-2017

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Dak Prescott called an audible named 'Shanahan.' It was a run play
by Harry Lyles Jr.@harrylylesjr Sep 10, 2017, 9:25pm EDT

During the Cowboys’ Sunday Night Football game against the Giants, one of Dak Prescott’s pre-snap audibles was “Shanahan.”

It audibled the Cowboys into a zone running play.

The significance of the audible being Shanahan, of course, is in reference to Super Bowl LI. In case you’ve been living under a rock, the Falcons blew a 28-3 lead to the Patriots, after being up late in the third quarter.

The Falcons didn’t run the ball as much as they should have, hence the audible being called Shanahan.

There’s not many other code words you could use for the audible for the rest of the offense to easily remember what the audible is. But that one’s also obvious enough to where some of the Giants could guess. Because well, the Falcons should have run the damn ball.
:unsure ... Umm, doesn't the writer know that Kyle's dad was the innovator of the zone "run" blocking scheme? IMO, that's the audible's reference, not last year's SB.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I didn't see it but it doesn't bother me. They didn't stop us as much as we stopped ourselves. We should have had upper 20s with just a little better execution that was self inflicted.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I saw it and ignored it because that silly crap got old awhile ago.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah mostly because no one cares. Props, you were the only one to sack Dak in the game. Your defense still sucked and you lost by 2-3 scores.

Celebrating while getting your ass kicked is just sillly.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah mostly because no one cares. Props, you were the only one to sack Dak in the game. Your defense still sucked and you lost by 2-3 scores.

Give them some credit. They have a damn good defense. That Goodson kid is going ot be a star.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Give them some credit. They have a damn good defense. That Goodson kid is going ot be a star.
Yeah but for all that defense it seemed like we made it past midfield on every drive. Or at least close to it.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah but for all that defense it seemed like we made it past midfield on every drive. Or at least close to it.
Give us some credit. We are a nightmare for a defense to try to stop. You have an strong, athletic QB who doesn't throw picks, a big RB with breakaway speed who doesn't fumble, a strong possession receiver who's well nigh unstoppable in the red zone, a HOF tight end who can block and catch, a big play second WR, a third receiver who guts man coverage. Oh and the best OL in the league. So lots of tools, lots of capabilities. The only thing that slows us down is occasionally poor playcalling.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:unsure ... Umm, doesn't the writer know that Kyle's dad was the innovator of the zone "run" blocking scheme? IMO, that's the audible's reference, not last year's SB.
Could be.

D

Deuce

If he did it in the 2nd, they were only down 3 or 6 to 0. If I were them, I'd celebrate too. Dallas couldn't get out of its way to score TDs and they had to expect their offense would eventually get going.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If he did it in the 2nd, they were only down 3 or 6 to 0. If I were them, I'd celebrate too. Dallas couldn't get out of its way to score TDs and they had to expect their offense would eventually get going.
Show off.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dak is a smart cookie. And, he is definitely not one to want the spotlight to be on him. I trust him to make that call.
Well, that's a whole lot different than "TEH F'N COACHES ARE TOO PASS HAPPY!! WHY DIDN'T WE RUN THERE!!?!?!!!?!"

That seemed to be the prevailing thought following that series of downs.

Cotton

Staff member
Well, that's a whole lot different than "TEH F'N COACHES ARE TOO PASS HAPPY!! WHY DIDN'T WE RUN THERE!!?!?!!!?!"

That seemed to be the prevailing thought following that series of downs.
Audibles are completely different from original playcalls. He has the benefit of seeing how the defense lines up.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Audibles are completely different from original playcalls. He has the benefit of seeing how the defense lines up.
And that has exactly what to do with how people were reacting around here over it?

Cotton

Staff member
And that has exactly what to do with how people were reacting around here over it?
I am just illustrating the difference between an audible and the play being called that originally. If all 3 had been called a run play originally the reaction was justified, IMO. If Dak audibled out of 2 of them to run, then those reactions were justified at the time, because we didn't know those weren't the original play call. But, with this new information, it's not on the coaches, it's on Dak. But, I trust Dak to make that call because of what he has shown in his mannerisms, and because his BFF is the RB. He wouldn't take away a TD from his RB just to put himself in the spotlight, I don't think.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Scott Linehan said that Dak changed the first two plays when we had first and goal from the three from runs to passes.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article173433446.html
And that's what I'm afraid of.

To be clear, I think he does deserve more leeway with how he runs the offense, but just as it was a problem with Romo at times, it will be a problem with Dak as well if they don't learn to tell their QB in certain situations that they simply need to run the play that is called.

If he wants to change the play on 1st or 2nd down, I'm ok with that. But we should not have passed on BOTH downs.

Gotta mix in a run in there somewhere.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I am just illustrating the difference between an audible and the play being called that originally. If all 3 had been called a run play originally the reaction was justified, IMO. If Dak audibled out of 2 of them to run, then those reactions were justified at the time, because we didn't know those weren't the original play call. But, with this new information, it's not on the coaches, it's on Dak. But, I trust Dak to make that call because of what he has shown in his mannerisms, and because his BFF is the RB. He wouldn't take away a TD from his RB just to put himself in the spotlight, I don't think.
I don't think for a second that he did for selfish reasons, but again, just as we should have done more with Romo, our staff needs to know when the situation calls for them to instruct their QB to simply run the play that is called.

Holmgren, Parcells, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, etc. were all HC's who had HOF QBs but did not hesitate to instruct them when they shouldn't change a play.

Our staff needs to have a better understanding of this because a QB is always naturally going to choose the pass over the run if you leave it up to him.

Top Bottom