Watkins - Jones: Jason Garrett a 'premier asset'

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Schmitty has some of the longest posts known to man.

Could you imagine a Hostile-Schmitty debate? 'War and Peace' would seem like a haiku in comparison.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
As I have said before I like Garrett and hope he succeeds as the Cowboys coach. I haven't seen anything so far that indicates he will. Blame the top management for player personnel deficiencies all you want but the fact remains the management trends will not change, therefore Garrett has to do something superior to his predecessors or go the same way they have.
Very possibly so.

Though I doubt he ends up falling apart like Wade did.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Very possibly so.

Though I doubt he ends up falling apart like Wade did.
I doubt he wins a playoff game like Wade did either. Honestly I'd rather go 3-13 and at least get a better draft position out of it than go 8-8 year after year missing the playoffs. The worst thing you can be in the NFL is mediocre. Keep going 8-8 and you'll end up like the KC Chiefs under Carl Peterson, no franchise QB since Len Dawson, no real defensive stars since Derrick Thomas.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah but you don't want to stay at 3-13 either.

I'd take that hit for a short term if we had a long term plan in place but we don't.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That forces me to correct those statements.
:lol

As and aside, I'm just curious why our other players and coaches that are just "average" don't get the same done for them when somebody says they suck.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This is what I don't understand about Schmitty.

Wade's track record as a coordinator and as a HC is infinitely better than Garrett's (and it's not even close), yet he has no problem saying that Wade sucks.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Man, could you imagine how many words Smitty would write about a guy he thought was more than mediocre?

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger

Wade's track record as a coordinator and as a HC is infinitely better than Garrett's (and it's not even close), yet he has no problem saying that Wade sucks.
It's the same reason that everyone else has: one is a fat hillbilly and the other is a Princeton egghead. Actual production is not important.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol And right on cue, you prove my point. That's the very definition of an opinion.
It's not any more of an opinion than saying that a weak DL makes the secondary worse.

A weak OL decreases your scoring offense.

Not an opinion, it's a demonstrable fact.

An opinion would be saying "I prefer to have a strong OL."

It's an absolute fact that Garrett's scoring offense numbers would be better if he had even an average OL. How much better might be subject to debate, but they'd be better for sure.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life

As and aside, I'm just curious why our other players and coaches that are just "average" don't get the same done for them when somebody says they suck.
Because there is not as much riding on whether we cut one of them when it comes to the direction of the franchise.

Firing Garrett for some other average coach would perpetuate the coaching merry go round Jerry has us on. Its fooling the Cowboys Zone homers into thinking that we are just another coaching change away because that damned Garrett couldn't stop screwing up! If only we could get rid of him for that other guy who won ten years ago, then we'd be set!

No, wrong. The reason why Garrett is failing is because of the GM by and large. In a functional environment, Garrett would do just fine, kinda like how a guy like Lovie Smith did ok in Chicago for a while before failing when the personnel ran out.

It's a situation that will take only the best of the best to fix. Like a Parcells.

In the absence of getting that, and in the absence of a complete 4-12 meltdown, it's better than we get some stability in the coaching staff instead of playing musical coaching chairs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Never said that Wade sucked as a coordinator.

He sucks as a head coach because he doesn't actually do any coaching. His teams run on autopilot until they crash and burn. Which was proven well before he got here. He's the worst type of coach to have, and yes, all the average coaches above him like Garrett or Whisenhunt or friggin' Leslie Frazier are better than that bum.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Riiiiiiight. Why don't you just admit you'd felch him and we can all move on from this ugliness.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Riiiiiiight. Why don't you just admit you'd felch him and we can all move on from this ugliness.
Just as soon as you admit he doesn't suck.

I've said it a hundred times. If not for that kind of idiocy, we don't have these threads. I'm not objecting to anyone saying "Garrett needs to be better." Clay and company like to pretend he's horrible but even with an awful OL, neither his winning percentage nor his offensive stats (scoring or otherwise) even come close to showing that. They are all average.

And once he gets the OL, they'd be top 10 or very close.

townsend

Banned
It's not any more of an opinion than saying that a weak DL makes the secondary worse.

A weak OL decreases your scoring offense.

Not an opinion, it's a demonstrable fact.

An opinion would be saying "I prefer to have a strong OL."
Yet, we had a pretty good scoring offense in 2010, with the line at near absolute crappiness. Although I'm sure the increased turnovers played a part. Maybe Garrett is capable of coordinating a decent offense if he doesn't have Romo as a crutch to lean on. Definitely seemed more patient with Kitna under center.

Of course he did try to pretend Brad Johnson was Tony Romo in 08, which was catastrophic.

I think Frederick will be a big improvement over what we've fielded at center the last two years, and that should provide dividends on offense, but I think we'll still leave points on the field because of stalled drives caused by weird play calls (assuming Garrett still gets to wear the headset), unbalanced pass happiness, and penalties (another thing our perfect messiah/average coach has struggled with improving, despite how much more "disciplined" the team has been.) interrupting the rhythm of the offense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yet, we had a pretty good scoring offense in 2010, with the line at near absolute crappiness. Although I'm sure the increased turnovers played a part.
I'm sure it did. It's not 100% 1-to-1, there are always exceptions to every rule, etc, but that is definitely the rule. Better OL will increase your scoring output if everything else stays the same.

Maybe Garrett is capable of coordinating a decent offense if he doesn't have Romo as a crutch to lean on. Definitely seemed more patient with Kitna under center.
The team also came out kicking ass and playing hard and we actually ran the ball well. I'm sure that had something to do with looking competent on offense.

I think Frederick will be a big improvement over what we've fielded at center the last two years, and that should provide dividends on offense, but I think we'll still leave points on the field because of stalled drives caused by weird play calls (assuming Garrett still gets to wear the headset), unbalanced pass happiness, and penalties (another thing our perfect messiah/average coach has struggled with improving, despite how much more "disciplined" the team has been.) interrupting the rhythm of the offense.
I'm sure we will still leave points on the field at times. The question is, how much more often will we do it than the Giants or Eagles?

And if we finish 10th in scoring and 6th in yards, how exactly does that mean he can't coach offense?

It means there are other problems -- as you pointed out, maybe discipline, maybe the ability for him to get a handle on the defense, etc, etc.

Top Bottom