Watkins - Jones: Jason Garrett a 'premier asset'

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Scoring defense and turnovers would be nice and his teams would be good at that.
Maybe.

But he wouldn't be able to get us over the hump as a personnel guy. The offense would still be unable to get traction because of the OL situation. If you're gonna say "but maybe he brings in a good OC" well, Garrett has the original Lovie Smith in Kiffin. So maybe Kiffin helps the turnovers.

I doubt it, because there is a stink on this organization and it needs another elite coach to clean house.

But that's the point. I think the results with Lovie Smith end up being more or less the same as what we have right now.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Maybe.

But he wouldn't be able to get us over the hump as a personnel guy. The offense would still be unable to get traction because of the OL situation. If you're gonna say "but maybe he brings in a good OC" well, Garrett has the original Lovie Smith in Kiffin. So maybe Kiffin helps the turnovers.

I doubt it, because there is a stink on this organization and it needs another elite coach to clean house.

But that's the point. I think the results with Lovie Smith end up being more or less the same as what we have right now.
You "think" he's the same, but we know Garrett will always be the same, so we either try something new or give up hope of ever having a winning season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just call your shot and say Garrett will be greatness
Funny how I keep using the word average and you hear great.

You get so enraged that I won't say he sucks that you can't even comprehend what I'm actually saying.

He won't even be a good coordinator in another spot and I'm calling that right now so tell me I'm wrong or admit that he sucks.
Define good. Top 5? I dunno.

Top 15? Assuredly so.

Certainly better than the "can't coach offense" bullshit you keep spouting. Which has been proven false many times over. My guess is, that on another team with less skill position talent but more OL talent, he'd probably end up in the 6-15 range like he does most of the time now.

By the way, if you're not actually going to respond to any of my points (since you can't), but just gonna throw down a call out post, you don't have to quote everything I said.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You "think" he's the same, but we know Garrett will always be the same, so we either try something new or give up hope opf ever having a winning season.
I'm all for a new elite coach.

I'm not for starting over with another average or below-average coach though. I'd rather the continuity. There is something to stability.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Funny how I keep using the word average and you hear great.

You get so enraged that I won't say he sucks that you can't even comprehend what I'm actually saying.

Define good. Top 5? I dunno.

Top 15? Assuredly so.

Certainly better than the "can't coach offense" bullshit you keep spouting.

By the way, if you're not actually going to respond to any of my points (since you can't), but just gonna throw down a call out post, you don't have to quote everything I said.
Top 5 scoring offense, the guy you hate with a passion, Lovie Smith, has done that on defense and apparently that's meaningless to you. So it should be easy for the useless non-winning genius that is Jason Garrett.

After all, he had Baltimore after him at one point to be their head coach so there will be a bidding war for his services once he's fired here. He can pick his spot. On the other hand considering what his leadership has done for our OL talent he'll take a job from the team with the poorest OL he can find.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Top 5 scoring offense, the guy you hate with a passion, Lovie Smith, has done that on defense and apparently that's meaningless to you.
Well, Lovie Smith may be a better defensive coordinator than Garrett is an offensive coordinator.

But he's not going to be any better as a head coach at getting the team over the hump. This team's problem isn't it's coordinators. It already had a coordinator who was on par with Lovie Smith in Wade and that ended up a miserable failure. So simply having better coordinators isn't going to work, it needs the right head coach.

Lovie Smith has shown to be an excellent coordinator but his constant problems building any traction on offense has shown me he would be a horrific failure here as a team builder. I do not want to commit to another run of that.

By the way.... Lovie Smith didn't have a top 5 scoring D with a JV defensive line.

So it should be easy for the useless non-winning genius that is Jason Garrett.
It's nearly impossible without an OL.... so.... no.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hey Clay, remember that time you bitched about how horrible Garrett was for sending in the plays late and then just the other day you found out I was right about how it was being done to allow Romo to read the defenses, which was actually an extension of the fact that our starting center was so pathetic that he couldn't even get the assignments right so he had to have his QB do it for him?

But please... by all means continue to pretend you have a handle on knowing that this is all Garrett's fault and he can't coach offense. I don't know what I'm talking about or anything. Bring up Troy Hambrick's name again, that's always fun. That definitely trumps the fact that I called the clock winding down thing from a mile away and you were completely wrong about it.

I must not know what I'm talking about when I say the OL is what is holding us back in our scoring numbers, either. Afterall, Maurice Clarett.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
After all, he had Baltimore after him at one point to be their head coach so there will be a bidding war for his services once he's fired here.
I'm quite sure he will get another job. Generally after a guy gets fired people aren't lining up around the block for him because of the nature of what just happened to you, but he won't go unemployed.

He can pick his spot. On the other hand considering what his leadership has done for our OL talent he'll take a job from the team with the poorest OL he can find.
I've agreed with you that very well may be the case, so I don't know why you're bringing it up.

My problem is your completely disprovable statements that he's a horrible offensive coach. Or your brother's idiot statements that he "doesn't add anything."

Wrong. He's a pretty solid offensive coach. He's more or less an average head coach. Kinda like other head coaches out there who fail to get their teams into the playoffs in 5 out of the last 6 years.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Hey Clay, remember that time you bitched about how horrible Garrett was for sending in the plays late and then just the other day you found out I was right about how it was being done to allow Romo to read the defenses, which was actually an extension of the fact that our starting center was so pathetic that he couldn't even get the assignments right so he had to have his QB do it for him?
And, I personally was saying that we should spend our OL budget to get Myers or Wells. So as I am not a coach and just a reasonable person, I have a reason to expect the head coach to demand that a key crucial team breaking need on the roster be addressed. He didn't do it, so for all of his supposed intelligence, Jason Garrett is a football idiot.

What does he bring to the team? You think he's a "solid offensive guy"? I could name a dozen unemployed coaches who are that. He might be as good at offense as Rob Ryan is at defense and that's meaningless.

townsend

Banned
:lol

I'm differing from reality. From the duo who has been telling me that Garrett wasn't even responsible for the yards. How can you even be taken seriously on the subject?
It's funny how we were #5 in yards in 2006, without Garrett. I pointed that out earlier.

It doesn't necessarily indicate bad coordinating either. Because it could indicate, as is the case here in Dallas, that the OL sucks.
It's funny how good coordinators, like those in Arizona and Green Bay of the same era managed to score points with OLs that suck. Wow deja vu.

In this case, anyone who has a brain knows and accepts that our OL makes it very, very difficult for our offense to score in the redzone and finish drives. Or milk out long time consuming drives with sustained running attacks because every ten seconds it's either letting a blitzer come free for a loss of yards or committing a false start penalty. Hence it relies on big plays because it cannot overcome it's own OL's constant mistakes to put together long drives.
Anyone with a brain might also notice that we don't just stall in the red zone. Soooo many times we've stalled at midfield during Jason's tenure, I'd do that hyperlink thing again to show you but I don't feel like it was appreciated.

That's a talent issue, not a coaching issue. It's not Jason Garrett's bad game planning when he calls a run and it gets blown up in the backfield for a three yard loss.
Sometimes that's a talent issue. Sometimes it's a coaching issue. Once again, Jason tends to get attached to plays he likes on paper, that don't work in the real world, like the swing pass to Barber.
You keep trying to say it's coaching.... It's not. It's talent.
You can't honestly believe that our oline has been so bereft of talent in the past 5 years that a better coach could not help them. Because poor olines like the Cardinals and Packers of 08-09 did just fine with relatively untalented lines. (there it is again)

Garrett might be responsible for the talent. You might have an argument there, which is why I keep saying yes, we need a team builder.

You couldn't be more wrong, however, if you think that our scoring stats wouldn't be very close to matching our yardage stats with even an average OL.
So the line from 07 to 08 went from exceptional to below average? Just like that? With all the same players?

It's very simple. When you don't have an OL, you can't run the ball. We have unarguably one of the worst run blocking lines in football. Because of that fact, we can't finish drives off with runs in the redzone. As a result, we're forced to throw in the redzone more, which is much less efficient since the defense is crammed into a smaller portion of the field.
Actually in 08 we had really good rushing numbers overall, it was just really inconsistent. Like something or someone didn't have a good game plan in place, and failed to properly feature the run. So maybe that's what would happen if we had an average line. Big unpredictable running game, that the coach gives up on once he's down by a field goal. Probably all the talent's fault.

It's like how when you have a shitty DL, your corners will look like garbage, that is a fact too.
I'm on board with this part.

So since I know we have a bad OL, I know our scoring stats are suffering because of it. So I also know that with a proper OL, Garrett's "coordinating" would be producing top 10 yardage and scoring stats that would, as a matter of absolute necessity because it's how football works, be better than they have been, which means they'd be close to matching those top 10 yardage numbers.
You know how? WTF has Garrett done with a ton of good skill position players and average to poor line play (Y'Know the kind of talent that Whisenhunt took to the superbowl in 08) to make you think that he has the ability to coach his team to victory. Yards? Yards the 06 Cowboys made, coupled with actual scoring, with a average to below average OL.

You can bitch about him not putting enough focus on finding the right OL if you wish. There is probably something to that.
That's not entirely my beef with Garrett. Or rather, that IS my beef with Parcells and Wade too, so it's not something that I'd point out as a specific deficiency to the Garrett regime, but more a consistent problem with the Cowboys going back to the late nineties.

The argument that he can't run an offense is moronic and false.
You're moronic and false. Well that probably didn't sound very mature. How about this? Name that time he masterminded an offensive performance. That time he put together a gameplan, and caught the team with their pants down? Remember that time we were losing really bad, and he came in at halftime and made that great adjustment? How about when he learned that the running game is an important part of setting the tempo for the offense, and didn't start calling up pass like a 9 year old losing to his brother on Madden?(Okay he actually has done that, but he's definitely failed to do that too, as pointed out in my previous post)

He doesn't have a poor performance record, he has an average performance record. His win-loss record is average. His game management or time clock management blunders have been about average (go look at Andy Reid if you think otherwise). His offensive scoring stats have been about average, and his offensive yardage stats are actually well above average.
He has an average performance record with above average talent. The kind of talent Whisenhunt coached to the superbowl. The kind of talent a guy like Reid, Gruden, Steve Mariucci or Sparano could lead to a top scoring offense.

So really there is nothing to say he's been poor. In fact, his offense has been consistently good and the only reason the scoring stats don't match is because of offensive line talent, not coaching.
Good? no no no. Fuck, you just said it was average one paragraph up, average has been your mantra. "Every coach is either average or a team-builder messiah that we must wait for" that's been your whole pitch. Don't bullshit me with good. I watched this offense shit the bed so many times, I've yelled a whole in my TV. I've watched Jason refuse to stop calling deep pass plays while Brad Johnson was trying to figure out which way was forward. I've seen us stifled by average defenses. I watched so many games that were won, or nearly won, or entirely lost because Romo was forced to do miracles in crunch time, with a 2 minute offense.

You seem to keep forgetting that fact.
Because it's not a fact, it's a delusion based on your man crush. Better offensive line would be better. Romo would get sacked less, the running game would be better, and Garrett would still suck at gameplanning and calling plays, just like in 08.

Any valid criticisms of him that you've named, I've said maybe that's correct. Such as the idea that he doesn't value OL personnel. That could be legit (though since he's not the GM, we don't know for sure). Or that he does need to improve his game management skills.
Again, not my beef.

Your insistence that he doesn't know how to coach offense is demonstrably false, though. He has the yardage numbers, and the scoring numbers are a direct result of the OL talent. It would be like asking him to win with Quincy Carter at QB. Same thing. Not possible unless you are an elite coach like Bill Parcells. He could be doing a great job and you wouldn't be able to see it in the results because the talent is unable to execute the gameplan
Your assertions are false. Ken Whisenhunt is by your broad definition 'average' and he had a top scoring offense in 08 and 09 with a poor oline, so has Reid, Mariucci, Fassel and dozens of other coaches. An elite coach like Bill Parcells can get a decent performance out of a team (although as I mentioned the 06 line nearly killed Bledsoe). But a good offensive coach can use a top ten QB, a good receiving core, and a decent backfield, to score some damn points.

That is what has happened here with our OL. All the skill position players are less effective because the OL is weighing them down and has been for years. The coordinator can't even call the plays he wants to because he's scheming around his OL's weaknesses (Bob has stated this is the case many times).
This is all true

And yet our coordinator still manages to put up top yardage numbers. That's not "glossing over" his coaching weaknesses. It's evidence that as an offensive coach, he is capable of taking good talent and getting results. Now all he needs is an NFL-competent OL and the scoring would fall into line (because that's how the game works, improve the line and TOP and scoring will go up).
I get that the 2012 line was bad. But I think it's going overboard to pretend that no line that ever played for Garrett was good enough. 08's Flozell, Kosier, Davis, Gurode, and Colombo weren't that bad, neither was that plus Free the next year. (although sticking him at LT versus Jared Allen and putting in an injured Colombo on the other side was a shitty situation to say the least.) You're being awfully hyperbolic about the overall quality of the Dallas line. While I'll admit it's been below average, it hasn't been so bad that a good coach couldn't scheme around it most years. Successfully meaning points, not yards. Why? Let's ask your buddy Sturm.

yards do not tell the story. One team can gain 5,800 yards in a traditional way with a balanced and unpredictable offense and be efficient and effective. Another can gain 5,900 yards and be inefficient and predictable while being way out of balance.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Smitty, the reason people accuse you of calling Garrett great is because you say he's average but you defend him to death as if he's great. Your actions suggest that you think much higher of him than you say you do.

Personally, I think he is about average. His results suggest as much. That's simply not nearly good enough for me. And if I know what I have is mediocre, then I'm not sitting around waiting for a guaranteed elite guy. I'm changing in hopes of getting better.

You can blame his mediocrity on whatever you want, but truthfully it's just rhetoric. The bottom line results speak for themselves. And no matter what you choose to blame, Garrett had a hand in it, or should have. It comes back to Garrett regardless (and Jerry of course, but that unfortunately won't change).

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Smitty, the reason people accuse you of calling Garrett great is because you say he's average but you defend him to death as if he's great. Your actions suggest that you think much higher of him than you say you do.

Personally, I think he is about average. His results suggest as much. That's simply not nearly good enough for me. And if I know what I have is mediocre, then I'm not sitting around waiting for a guaranteed elite guy. I'm changing in hopes of getting better.

You can blame his mediocrity on whatever you want, but truthfully it's just rhetoric. The bottom line results speak for themselves. And no matter what you choose to blame, Garrett had a hand in it, or should have. It comes back to Garrett regardless (and Jerry of course, but that unfortunately won't change).
This is exactly how I feel.

If the Cowboys want to separate themselves from the rest of the pack who are mired in mediocrity, they'd better find a coach who is good enough to coach around the team's talent deficiencies. Because Garrett has not shown that he can overcome being saddled with middle of the pack talent.

He has his moments of brilliance but there are far too many moments of failure. I still maintain the most damning proof of Garrett's limited coaching ability is the weekly struggles of the Cowboys offense. It was a cause for celebration if the offense actually scored more than 10 points before halftime.

They constantly had to play from behind and play catch up because the game plan that Garrett worked on all week was ineffective almost every. single. week. There were maybe two games where the offense looked functional and prepared from the opening kickoff. The other 14 games they were a cluster F'.

Even Schmitty can't defend that kind of ineptness.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Smitty, the reason people accuse you of calling Garrett great is because you say he's average but you defend him to death as if he's great.
Geng, the reason we have these arguments is because someone usually says something ridiculous, such as in this thread, that he "adds nothing" and compared him to Wade as a head coach. That forces me to correct those statements, which then usually devolves into a huge argument that starts off with the easily disprovable accusation that "Garrett doesn't know how to coach offense."

If people would treat him like an average head coach in their criticisms, we would not have these arguments. The problem is a handful of people want to make believe that he's the worst coach out there.

It's a huge difference. And it's an extremely important one.

So that's why we get to keep doing this.

I think Garrett has some upside. I absolutely agree with you that he's been average and that has not been good enough.

But I'm not going to change out for a guy who I know (correction for those who tell me I can't know: "a guy who I strongly feel to almost certainty") is not better. Such a move doesn't make sense. I already know what Lovie Smith is capable of doing, he'll have a good defense, a lousy offense, and he'll miss the playoffs in 5 out of 6 years because our offense will continue to struggle. He's already proven he doesn't know how add talent to an OL or an offense. So I know he can't fix the OL here, therefore I know we'll never have a playoff caliber offense again until it's fixed (hey, maybe Leary develops into a stud, Frederick is the real deal, and Free magically rediscovers himself, and then we are there this year. I just doubt it).

So I can't agree with you that he's the type of guy I want to change for. That's change just for change, and I think it's dumb. The continuity of one regime is important -- again, look at how guys like Jeff Fisher or Chuckie went 8-8 for the first couple years of their coaching careers. Sometimes it's worth it to let a guy grow on the job like that (of course, for all that growing, I still have a problem with Jeff Fisher and his 6 playoff appearances in 17 years, but then again, I don't claim he's a bad coach, either, just another average one).

When Wade was hired, I told everyone who would listen, "He's gonna be a disaster. He's gonna leave this team worse than when he gets here because that's what he does." And he did. Sometimes the book is out on guys. The book is out on a guy like Lovie Smith; he's not good enough, so there is not some magic "chance" that he's gonna come here and be great.

Find me an Andy Reid, pay whatever it takes to steal Sean Payton, go get the next hot prospect Jim Harbaugh who people had a good feeling about (though I'm also quite sure that Harbaugh hasn't been to the Super Bowl already if he's in Dallas). Get someone who there is some real hope of him being a team building architect and I would love to have him here.

But what I cannot agree on is that we should simply go get any coach who had success ten years ago and then failed since then and bring them in here.

If you gave Jason Garrett a Quincy Carter at QB, he would not be capable of coaching a ten win season out of him. The OL is a similar handicap.

Now, if Jason Garrett went around saying he loves QC and doesn't see a reason to upgrade from him, then yeah, that's a problem. On a team where the coach has to be the GM, that simply isn't going to get results (though it's not really his fault as a coach because he shouldn't have that say).

That may be the case here.

But again, this is why we have those arguments. Everyone wants to run back to his horrible "game planning" or "playcalling." What exactly is wrong with them?

I like a game plan that can amass the kind of yards this offense consistently does. And I liked the playcalls that were getting blown up in the backfield for four yard losses because someone missed their blocks; there was nothing wrong with those calls, they got screwed up because the OL was not capable of executing them.

Now that this has been a problem for years, we've gone away from calling those things because Garrett knows he can't. So it looks like he's more pass happy than he is, which of course makes him look like a bad playcaller, but it's ultimately the talent's fault.

He may be responsible for the talent, but the schemes (or what he'd LIKE to call, as evidenced by his work in say, 2007 or 2009) are not the issues.

If people would simply admit that, we'd have no problems.

Instead they like to fabricate fairy tales.

Ok. We can have another ten page argument then.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's funny how we were #5 in yards in 2006, without Garrett. I pointed that out earlier.
And you think this means what? We had a good coordinator in 2006 too.

Just like we've had a good coordinator since then.

So yeah, thanks for proving my point, actually.

It's funny how good coordinators, like those in Arizona and Green Bay of the same era managed to score points with OLs that suck. Wow deja vu.
Mike McCarthy is an elite head coach. Though once again for the record, that Green Bay line is not as bad as ours.

Anyone with a brain might also notice that we don't just stall in the red zone.
Prior to 2012, which was the worst year to date, we didn't stall outside the red zone any more than average.

Soooo many times we've stalled at midfield during Jason's tenure, I'd do that hyperlink thing again to show you but I don't feel like it was appreciated.
I don't recall you posting any "hyperlink thing" that shows drives stalling at midfield. I saw one that posted some box scores. Not sure what you were proving with that, I think it was something about abandoning the run, but then you proceeded to post games where we were down bigtime (and thus of course would be throwing a lot) or where the run wasn't working (averaging less than 3.5 a carry) and thus shouldn't have been stuck with.

So yeah, I'm not going to bother giving those stats any credit. I wouldn't run the ball either there, with this personnel. I don't consider them indicting.

Sometimes that's a talent issue. Sometimes it's a coaching issue. Once again, Jason tends to get attached to plays he likes on paper, that don't work in the real world, like the swing pass to Barber.
I'm talking about the non-fancy running plays that constantly get blown up for a loss of yards that any reasonable blocking team would have an expectation to gain two or three. It's a four to six yard difference on these plays. It's basically a penalty and a loss of down. No offense can overcome that consistently, yet it happened to us consistently.

Swing passes to Barber? You talking about plays where the back is the, like, fourth option out of the backfield? I can't recall many designed dump offs to Barber, so I can't see how it's a part of a criticism of the playcalling.

You can't honestly believe that our oline has been so bereft of talent in the past 5 years that a better coach could not help them.
I'm telling you our line during those years has been the worst I've ever seen as a Dallas Cowboy fan in run blocking. On any team around the league. Obviously I watch more Cowboys games than Packers games, though.

An elite coach could probably help them. Lovie Smith could not.

Because poor olines like the Cardinals and Packers of 08-09 did just fine with relatively untalented lines. (there it is again)
Not as bad as ours. But overall production will go up or down based on other factors as well, such as Kurt Warner having a for-the-record-books year.

So the line from 07 to 08 went from exceptional to below average? Just like that? With all the same players?
Our OL in 2007 was average. Leonard Davis was particularly overrated, but Flozell still had something in the tank, Gurode wasn't washed up, etc. But every player was on the downswing. They were all over 30. Kyle Kosier also missed a lot of time in 2008, Corey Proctor ended up starting 11 games, so that was a big hit.

So yes. That is pretty much exactly what happened. The OL got old and fell apart over the next couple seasons, we never added legitimate pieces back to it, and now it's one of the worst in football.

Actually in 08 we had really good rushing numbers overall, it was just really inconsistent. Like something or someone didn't have a good game plan in place, and failed to properly feature the run. So maybe that's what would happen if we had an average line. Big unpredictable running game, that the coach gives up on once he's down by a field goal. Probably all the talent's fault.
You're gonna need to provide some more here. What do you mean it was really inconsistent? Like some weeks it would average under 4 yards a carry? How does that mean he doesn't have a good game plan in place?

You know how?
How do I know that a bad OL weighs down scoring? Because that's how the game works.

When you can't run the ball, you can't score efficiently in the redzone. This is because the passing game in the redzone is much harder because there are more defenders packed in a smaller area making it easier for them to cover. You have to be able to line up and push them out of the way in the running game to have a consistent scoring offense.

That's how it works.

If you are not able to do that, your scoring is gonna be down significantly. You'll be kicking a lot of field goals instead of touchdowns.

WTF has Garrett done with a ton of good skill position players and average to poor line play (Y'Know the kind of talent that Whisenhunt took to the superbowl in 08) to make you think that he has the ability to coach his team to victory. Yards? Yards the 06 Cowboys made, coupled with actual scoring, with a average to below average OL.
Well, in 2007, Garrett was second in scoring. So again you are making my point for me. Yeah, the 2007 Cowboys, with an average OL, had the scoring stats to match their yardage totals.

Which is exactly what I'm saying will happen once we get an average OL in here again.

So that's what he's done. He's racked up yards and when he had the average OL he also racked up points.

That's not entirely my beef with Garrett. Or rather, that IS my beef with Parcells and Wade too, so it's not something that I'd point out as a specific deficiency to the Garrett regime, but more a consistent problem with the Cowboys going back to the late nineties.
Well, that is true, and it's why every time someone says "Garrett is to blame for us not drafting OLs" I say to them, well, maybe, but it's really the GMs fault. Look at his track record. Failure after failure.

You're moronic and false. Well that probably didn't sound very mature. How about this? Name that time he masterminded an offensive performance. That time he put together a gameplan, and caught the team with their pants down? Remember that time we were losing really bad, and he came in at halftime and made that great adjustment? How about when he learned that the running game is an important part of setting the tempo for the offense, and didn't start calling up pass like a 9 year old losing to his brother on Madden?(Okay he actually has done that, but he's definitely failed to do that too, as pointed out in my previous post)
In 2007, the year he had his best OL, he had an offense that was second in points and was the envy of everyone not named the New England Patriots. Then as the OL has gotten worse over the years, the production has generally gotten worse in a linear fashion culminating in the disaster that was 2012.

But despite that, he was 7th in points in 2010. He was also 14th, 15th, and 15th in various years.

So with all these terrible OLs, he's been average in points production.

So your assertions that he's bad is simply false. He's average. And with a good OL, those numbers would increase from 14th-15th to probably 8th-10th.

Because that's what happens when you improve the OL. The redzone efficiency will jump up.

If you want to know why I say your argument is moronic and false, its because you feel the need to compare him to someone playing Madden. It's moronic and false. That's not what happened.

As for times he's put together good plans, uh, how about any of these, from this mere two year period:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200910250dal.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200911010dal.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001030dal.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001090dal.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200911260dal.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200912190nor.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201011140nyg.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201011210dal.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201012050clt.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201012190dal.htm

He has an average performance record with above average talent. The kind of talent Whisenhunt coached to the superbowl. The kind of talent a guy like Reid, Gruden, Steve Mariucci or Sparano could lead to a top scoring offense.
None of those guys consistently have to deal with the OL Garrett has had to. But FWIW, Reid is one of those great coaches I'm talking about.

By the way.... you want to know where Whisenhunt's offense was ranked that year in 2009 that you keep trying to claim is some masterful job by him?

11th. Kinda close to 14-15, isn't it?

You want to know where Whisenhunts offense was ranked with that bad OL he has, in the years since then, while Garrett has been going 7th, 15th, and 15th? Whisenhunt has been 26, 24 and 31.

Yeah, he did wonders there in Arizona.

Good? no no no. Fuck, you just said it was average one paragraph up, average has been your mantra.
The yardage production has been good to great. The scoring has been average (never worse than 18th). As a head coach, he's doing an average job. But he's gotten the offense to produce without an OL. If he had that OL, his offense would be top 10 in all categories year after year.

Sure, he has the talent to match. He's not some genius, but he'd be doing his job, getting top talent to produce top results. If he had that OL.

"Every coach is either average or a team-builder messiah that we must wait for" that's been your whole pitch. Don't bullshit me with good. I watched this offense shit the bed so many times, I've yelled a whole in my TV. I've watched Jason refuse to stop calling deep pass plays while Brad Johnson was trying to figure out which way was forward. I've seen us stifled by average defenses. I watched so many games that were won, or nearly won, or entirely lost because Romo was forced to do miracles in crunch time, with a 2 minute offense.
All your frustrations are anecdotal and they are very obviously not taking into account that you would have the same frustrations with everyone. You think Bears fans don't have the same complaints?

The only reason you think he's better at this stuff is because you don't watch him every week.

Because it's not a fact, it's a delusion based on your man crush. Better offensive line would be better. Romo would get sacked less, the running game would be better, and Garrett would still suck at gameplanning and calling plays, just like in 08.
Your assertions are false. Ken Whisenhunt is by your broad definition 'average' and he had a top scoring offense in 08 and 09 with a poor oline
Ken Whisenhunt has put up 7, 3, 11, 24, 26, and 31 rankings. If 11 is counting as "top scoring offense" than Garrett did it too with 7th in 2010.

So my assertions are still correct.

so has Reid, Mariucci, Fassel and dozens of other coaches.
They didn't do it with OLs as bad as ours.

This is all true
If it's all true, then it invalidates your position.

You just said it's all true that the OL is weighing down our skill position players and making the coach scheme around their weaknesses.

If that's the case, it's weighing down our offensive scoring production.

Our offensive scoring production that has already been 2nd, 18th, 14th, 7th, 15th, and 15th, in chronological order.

Say it's weighing it down by 10%, even (which I think is too little) (when I say that, I am saying, having a better OL would have increased our scoring by 10% in those years). That would have caused us to shoot up from:

18th to 10th in 2008
14th to 9th in 2009
7th to 5th in 2010
15th to 5th in 2011
15th to 9th in 2012

If it's "all true," that our skill position players are worse because of a bad OL, and our coach can't call the plays he wants to call, then where is your factoring into how much the talent is weighing the offense down? And if you are taking that into account properly, such as by assigning it a 10% boost if you gave it an OL, then what exactly would be your problem with those new rankings?

I get that the 2012 line was bad. But I think it's going overboard to pretend that no line that ever played for Garrett was good enough.
Good enough? What does that mean?

Our OL has been poor since 2008. In 2012, it was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Replace those lines with functional OLs, the scoring goes up to match the yardage.

If the scoring was up (such as, 10% like I showed above), then our rankings would be much better.

Are those rankings "good enough"? I don't know. But I know you'd have no argument that he can't coach offense.

08's Flozell, Kosier, Davis, Gurode, and Colombo weren't that bad
Kosier barely played in 2008. And Gurode, Flozell, and Davis in particular were slipping fast. I remember I had long debates with everyone that Davis did not deserve to make the Pro Bowl. So I was saying back then we were staring OL problems in the face.

You're being awfully hyperbolic about the overall quality of the Dallas line. While I'll admit it's been below average, it hasn't been so bad that a good coach couldn't scheme around it most years. Successfully meaning points, not yards.
Well, he's been scheming around it to average results, yet it's a below average line that is definitely reducing our raw numbers, which would be better if we had an average OL.

So give us that and the numbers (scoring and otherwise) would be good.

Why? Let's ask your buddy Sturm.

yards do not tell the story. One team can gain 5,800 yards in a traditional way with a balanced and unpredictable offense and be efficient and effective. Another can gain 5,900 yards and be inefficient and predictable while being way out of balance.
And Bob also showed that the offense has been getting less and less efficient over the years as the OL has gotten worse.

And my argument has not been that Garrett's yards with no scoring is what makes him good, it's that the scoring only hasn't followed because of the talent not the scheming.

I agree with Bob that we've been inefficient, so you providing a quote that we've gotten less efficient doesn't disprove anything I'm saying. The point is not that we have been inefficient, the point has been why we are inefficient. The yards are there, so we are getting that part right. I am saying the efficiency (high scoring, etc) has faltered due to the OL.

Which you actually said was true a few sentences up.

So once you take into account the stat reductions that come with the bad OL that Bob also has stated we have, we won't have much left to argue about.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

He's average, but I will defend him to the end of time like he's Vince Lombardi. :lol Seems legit.

Genghis Khan

Also, fabricated fairy tales? Ironic coming from the guy who constantly argues his opinions as if they are fact.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He's average, but I will defend him to the end of time like he's Vince Lombardi. :lol Seems legit.
I'll defend him from people saying he brings nothing to the table, yes, or people who say he sucks.

I have never gotten involved in one of these threads because someone said he's average or simply that we need better.

Also, fabricated fairy tales? Ironic coming from the guy who constantly argues his opinions as if they are fact.
It's not an opinion that his stats are average and would be significantly higher with a good OL.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As I have said before I like Garrett and hope he succeeds as the Cowboys coach. I haven't seen anything so far that indicates he will. Blame the top management for player personnel deficiencies all you want but the fact remains the management trends will not change, therefore Garrett has to do something superior to his predecessors or go the same way they have.

Top Bottom