Watkins - Jones: Jason Garrett a 'premier asset'

Carl

RIP Brother
Wow, I haven't read the whole thread, but do people really want Lovie Smith as HC, dealing with the Jones Family Circus. Wow.

townsend

Banned
Wow, I haven't read the whole thread, but do people really want Lovie Smith as HC, dealing with the Jones Family Circus. Wow.
I'm not the hugest Lovie fan. Although I think Chicago firing him was a mistake. But the Cowboys haven't been to the NFC championship in 18 years (The only other teams that haven't made it in the conference are the Lions and Redskins) Lovie's been to 4 as a coach (one of which is only as a LBers coach though). 2 times he's been to the superbowl. For a franchise that's mainly been hiring puppets for the length or our drought, any guy with some kind of achievement would be an upgrade.

In short, I'd personally prefer Gruden, or Whisenhunt because infusion of better offensive minds would be welcome in Romo's declining years. But a 3 year Lovie experiment would be a massive improvement over continuity.

Carl

RIP Brother
I'm not the hugest Lovie fan. Although I think Chicago firing him was a mistake. But the Cowboys haven't been to the NFC championship in 18 years (The only other teams that haven't made it in the conference are the Lions and Redskins) Lovie's been to 4 as a coach (one of which is only as a LBers coach though). 2 times he's been to the superbowl. For a franchise that's mainly been hiring puppets for the length or our drought, any guy with some kind of achievement would be an upgrade.

In short, I'd personally prefer Gruden, or Whisenhunt because infusion of better offensive minds would be welcome in Romo's declining years. But a 3 year Lovie experiment would be a massive improvement over continuity.
The names you are throwing out are fine. If Garrett worked else where, you would be throwing his name in the pile. He is a respected name in the NFL. The question here is simple, who can flourish under this "Arrested Development". Maybe Gruden, who I respect, despite ESPN work, but who else? I can't think of many.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's my take. It wouldn't be particularly better than what we have now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett's coaching record does not bother me as much as his coaching style.

- The constant slow starts.

- Not knowing when to challenge a play.

- Abandoning the running game.

- Routinely being out-coached by any halfway decent Def-coordinator.

Those are the things that bug me about Garrett. I just don't think he's the type of coach who is a difference maker. I think he's the type of coach who has to have elite talent in order to compete.

I could never see him taking an team of average talent, like our Cowboys, and coaching them to 11 or 12 wins.

I always say, parity reigns supreme in the NFL and in most cases the coaches are the difference between 7 wins and 11 wins.

That's why the Cowboys have been a .500 team recently. They have average talent and an average coach. I believe if we had a better coach that same squad from last season probably wins 10 or 11 games.
This times infinity.

Top Bottom