Watkins - Bill Callahan says he'll call plays

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not many coaches were handling the play calling, so not sure why he felt compelled to do so. This will give him more time to ice his own kicker and look confused about making a challenge.
I hope and think he'll be better now that he's given it up. That being said if he's the coach it should be his call.

That and I don't necessarily think Callahan is a "better" playcaller than Garrett by any demonstrable margin.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
But, Garrett was asked, is it fair to say he and Jones have different philosophies on how information is put out?

Garrett, expressionless, said: “I think you can draw your own conclusions.”

The press conference ended in laughter, and Garrett walked off with a smile.

-- Carlos Mendez
RIFT

lulz

Remember that speech Jerry gave about nothing would happen in this organization that Garrett didn't approve of?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's always best to hold as many cards as possible close to the chest. Why reveal who's calling plays at all? Any little thing gives the other team an advantage, because even though they can't make a video of your playcalling signals it doesn't mean they won't try and guess them during a game. Coaches cover their mouths with a play sheet so no one reads their lips.
Excellent point and another example of how Jones doesn't get it.

His head coach is telling him not to disclose this and he goes and does it anyway.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Remember when Payton got stripped of his play calling duties in New York? I don't see the story unfolding the same way for Garrett.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
“There is no real advantage for us to reveal who’s calling the plays explicitly, and how we’re going to do it, in early June,” Garrett said. “It’s just the way I feel about it. We have scouts who advance games, who go watch other teams play, and we try to figure out how they’re calling plays, offensively, defensively and the kicking game. We have a plan in place. We’ve had a plan in place for a long, long time. I don’t want to get into that plan much further than I already have.”

This is completely true.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, there is still that whole "wasn't expierienced enough to call plays from his own offense" label people will slap on him after this. You know that is exactly what this was, no matter how much they talk about "collective decisions" which I posted earlier and is exactly what he said. Company line.

If it works, I'm all in I suppose, but I'm thinking Garrett can't be happy about this.

I guess he's not the kind of guy to let some petty demasculinization stand in the way of good ol "intellectual" football.
Bill Parcells got overruled plenty of times and didn't simply quit on the spot either. Coaches that come here know that they are signing up for a high paying, high profile, high-reward gig if they succeed, and that it will come with Jerry Jones handholding every step of the way.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Excellent point and another example of how Jones doesn't get it.

His head coach is telling him not to disclose this and he goes and does it anyway.
What advantage are other teams really going to have knowing Callahan is calling plays as opposed to Garrett? It is still Garrett's scheme and the offensive formations dictate the defense they will play against.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What advantage are other teams really going to have knowing Callahan is calling plays as opposed to Garrett? It is still Garrett's scheme and the offensive formations dictate the defense they will play against.
Well, they would not know if they were getting the Crayton Reverse or not. So there's that. And that sneaky thing where we do the throw deep on third and short.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Regarding the secrecy surrounding the move, I don't think it's as big a deal as some and the media are making it out to be. It's something that I wanted to see happen so I'm just glad that there's some confirmation that this move has taken place.

At this point of the year this was merely a minor distraction. Sure it would have been great if they got in front of the story so that everyone could move on but I see no reason to get bent out of shape about how the announcement came about.

This was a blip on the radar compared to some of the other decisions and statements the front office has made.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I hope and think he'll be better now that he's given it up. That being said if he's the coach it should be his call.

That and I don't necessarily think Callahan is a "better" playcaller than Garrett by any demonstrable margin.
I agree with this. I think what we're all hoping for is that this move frees Garrett up to make quicker, smarter head coaching decisions. This move isn't all about about jump starting the offense; improving the overall in game decision making probably played just as big a role in their decision to go in this direction.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
RIFT

lulz

Remember that speech Jerry gave about nothing would happen in this organization that Garrett didn't approve of?
Hell, I remember just a few days ago, numbnuts like JJT assumed Garrett was "large and in charge".

Lotuseater

Banned
Hell, I remember just a few days ago, numbnuts like JJT assumed Garrett was "large and in charge".
It was probably stuff like that that made Jerry feel the need to put Garrett in his place in the press. By cutting his legs out from under him to let everyone know who was in charge.

He really is still a teenager in a lot of ways, Jerry Jones.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DCFanatic ‏@DCFanaticsBlog 38m
Garrett has been better Play Caller than Jerry Jones has been a GM since 2007. Maybe Garrett should tell him to let Stephen be the GM.

:unsure

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DCFanatic ‏@DCFanaticsBlog 38m
Garrett has been better Play Caller than Jerry Jones has been a GM since 2007. Maybe Garrett should tell him to let Stephen be the GM.

:unsure
New York Style.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It doesn't relate to play-calling.

The problem is that Jerry is once again undermining Garrett by announcing that Callahan will call plays, it's an example of how this organization is run like shit.
this is saying Callahan is saying or announcing it. Oops, I stand corrupted.

Jerry announces, Callahan confirms. Standard Operating Procedure around Valley Ranch.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I stand corrupted, as well.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Remember when Payton got stripped of his play calling duties in New York? I don't see the story unfolding the same way for Garrett.
If/when he leaves the Cowboys, he should coach college for a few years and come back to the NFL later.

He still needs some seasoning.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/06/payton-saints-play-calling-role-still-undecided/

I wonder if someone should tell the Saints that it's a big clusterfrick that they haven't decided who is calling the plays yet. What is going on in that organization!!!
I remember when people were bitching on this board months ago that the Cowboys have no idea what the f*ck they are doing because they haven't named a play caller. I think this is a situation where they were damned if they do and damned if they don't on this message board.

Top Bottom