Watkins - Bill Callahan says he'll call plays

D

Deuce

by Calvin Watkins - ESPN Dallas

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Bill Callahan confirmed Tuesday he will call the offensive plays in 2013.

It's the first time someone other than coach Jason Garrett has called the plays since 2007.

"I'm flattered and as I said this a long time ago when we were visiting in January and February, everybody has a stake in this," Callahan said.

"It's a compliment to our staff and it tells you the way our guys work on the offensive side of the ball. It's been productive all the way around. I'm really encouraged, I'm honored and just do the best job for our fans and our team."

Last season, the Cowboys finished 6th in total offense at 374.6 yards per game, but just 31st as a rushing offense (79.1 yards per game).

In the last three weeks, during the organized team activities, Callahan was giving the play calls to the quarterbacks while Garrett stood off to the side during 11-on-11 drills.

When the Cowboys split up in 7-on-7 drills, quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson would give play calls to the quarterbacks while Callahan worked with the offensive line.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Now that he has said this, I would like someone to ask Garrett about it again just to see if he finally gives a clear answer, or another one of his robotic rambles that leave you with no answer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not sure how much of an upgrade this is. I mean he can't be worse but the more I'm seeing of Callahan the more I am doubting him.

Lotuseater

Banned
Now that he has said this, I would like someone to ask Garrett about it again just to see if he finally gives a clear answer, or another one of his robotic rambles that leave you with no answer.
He'll say it was a "collective decision" and say he thought it was a good idea.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Well, at least there was a change. Whether or not it's the right one remains to be seen.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

This is how it started for Jim Zorn.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This organization is such a clusterfuck, of course Jerry would be the one to come out and announce it.

This season could very easily completely fall off the hinges if we start out like 2-4 or something, the team would quit on what they will know is a lame duck coach and we'd be right on our way to a 5 win year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well for all of you who wanted Garrett to get the hook on play calling, now is the time for you to do a few cartwheels so let,s hear it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well for all of you who wanted Garrett to get the hook on play calling, now is the time for you to do a few cartwheels so let,s hear it.
Callahan calling the plays is not the problem, Jerry undermining Garrett at every turn is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Callahan calling the plays is not the problem, Jerry undermining Garrett at every turn is.
Sorry. I don't get the connection to your response and how it relates to play calling. I am not being snide, I am just confused.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This season could very easily completely fall off the hinges if we start out like 2-4 or something, the team would quit on what they will know is a lame duck coach and we'd be right on our way to a 5 win year.
Some would argue that it would be much better for the wheels to entirely fall off as opposed to having another 8-8 season. Of course if we start out 4-2 the complete opposite could happen...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Some would argue that it would be much better for the wheels to entirely fall off as opposed to having another 8-8 season.
I don't see what argument there is.

8-8 or similar just means more of the same shit. This team has to hit rock bottom in order to stand any chance of making a positive change.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sorry. I don't get the connection to your response and how it relates to play calling. I am not being snide, I am just confused.
It doesn't relate to play-calling.

The problem is that Jerry is once again undermining Garrett by announcing that Callahan will call plays, it's an example of how this organization is run like shit.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Callahan announced it though.
He announced it but Garrett was asked about it and he had nothing to say. Almost as if he was hearing about it for the first time.

Top Bottom