TV Thread

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Yep. Capicola is awesome. It's everywhere. One of the meats in an Italian hoagie, which is by far the best hoagie.
Growing up in NJ, this is correct.

Kind of switching over to the thread topic. I watched a series on Amazon Prime called The Food That Built America. It's about how some iconic American staples took root, the competition between two of the biggest of the time and their battle for supremacy.

Subway and Blimpie were two of the original sub shops, always trying to one up each other. One of the keys to the battles was a company creating a signature item that distinguished them from the other. Blimpie came out with the Blimpie's Best and eventually Subway countered with the Italian BMT which basically was almost everything they had including Capicola.

The series originally aired on The History Channel, it's on Amazon Prime on their History Vault channel. Some of it is probably a bit melodramatic just for TV but factually accurate.

Coke v. Pepsi, McDonald's v. BK. Pizza Hut v. Domino's, Wendy's v. KFC, Kellogg v. Post cereals. I started watching it on a lark one night and ended up watching almost every episode.

Pizza Hut was started in Kansas, a long way from the east coast which was where pizza in the US originated.

CW Post was a patient in JH Kellogg's mental institution, who basically stole a personal recipe for granola cereal from him and commercialized it.

It's actually a very interesting series, very cutthroat dealings with a lot of competition.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
Growing up in NJ, this is correct.

Kind of switching over to the thread topic. I watched a series on Amazon Prime called The Food That Built America. It's about how some iconic American staples took root, the competition between two of the biggest of the time and their battle for supremacy.

Subway and Blimpie were two of the original sub shops, always trying to one up each other. One of the keys to the battles was a company creating a signature item that distinguished them from the other. Blimpie came out with the Blimpie's Best and eventually Subway countered with the Italian BMT which basically was almost everything they had including Capicola.

The series originally aired on The History Channel, it's on Amazon Prime on their History Vault channel. Some of it is probably a bit melodramatic just for TV but factually accurate.

Coke v. Pepsi, McDonald's v. BK. Pizza Hut v. Domino's, Wendy's v. KFC, Kellogg v. Post cereals. I started watching it on a lark one night and ended up watching almost every episode.

Pizza Hut was started in Kansas, a long way from the east coast which was where pizza in the US originated.

CW Post was a patient in JH Kellogg's mental institution, who basically stole a personal recipe for granola cereal from him and commercialized it.

It's actually a very interesting series, very cutthroat dealings with a lot of competition.
I thought the McDonald’s vs Burger King was pretty good too.

ZeroClub

UFA
Finishing up Succession.

Not bad.
I liked the ending just fine, with a few reservations as to how it happened.

IMO, the real star of the series was the soundtrack. Without that music driving the storylines, I don't think the series would have held my interest.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The Barry finale was a bit of a gut punch.
Like Walter White, I figured he'd die. Just didn't expect Fonzie to pull the trigger. When he did, I knew he'd blown his best chance at freedom. Interesting how Sally let an innocent man go to prison. I like that the son thinks his dead dad is a hero.

ZeroClub

UFA
Crap. I’ll see it tonight or tomorrow. That show has gone off the rails a little bit this season.
I agree with "off the rails". I liked the first couple of seasons quite a bit, but then the twisted humor was replaced by a depressive cynicism. I thought Season 4 and the finale were smart but bleak. I didn't enjoy watching them.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I agree with "off the rails". I liked the first couple of seasons quite a bit, but then the twisted humor was replaced by a depressive cynicism. I thought Season 4 and the finale were smart but bleak. I didn't enjoy watching them.
Damn. Yeah. The first season was good. It kind of went downhill from there. It went from a comedy/drama to a drama with some dark comedy moments. By the end of season 4 it was more morbid curiosity than enjoyment.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I found a great comedy on Netflix, Documentary Now!

It is a parody of famous documentaries that was around in 2015 and has four seasons.

Lorne Michaels, Fred Armisen, Bill Hader and Seth Meyers produced and has a number of stars in guest roles like Owen Wilson, Jack Black, Cate Blanchett, Michael Keaton, . I just found a random episode (Season 3, episode 1 & 2).

This is just funny as shit and extremely well done.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I found a great comedy on Netflix, Documentary Now!

It is a parody of famous documentaries that was around in 2015 and has four seasons.

Lorne Michaels, Fred Armisen, Bill Hader and Seth Meyers produced and has a number of stars in guest roles like Owen Wilson, Jack Black, Cate Blanchett, Michael Keaton, . I just found a random episode (Season 3, episode 1 & 2).

This is just funny as shit and extremely well done.
No thanks.

Top Bottom