TV Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
One thing I have noticed is why this is just the "TV Thread" when the movies thread is still "Must See Movies"?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So do you people walk around saying "Skol"?

I thought was only people from Minn-E-Sota that were allowed to say that.
It’s a Scandinavian toast. Like saying cheers.

And no. I have heard it in bars, or other drinking scenarios, but that’s it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
WTF is gabagool? And why would it even be an issue. Did some dipshit come up with some asinine reason to be offended by it?

shoop

Semi-contributing member
WTF is gabagool? And why would it even be an issue. Did some dipshit come up with some asinine reason to be offended by it?
It’s a bastardization of capicola. Unless they think it is somehow making fun of Italian Americans not pronouncing things then I don’t see it either.

From some article:
In the case of gabagool, it's a combination of end vowels being deleted, "oh" sounds being raised, and what linguists call "voiceless consonants," namely "k" and "c" sounds, being turned into "voiced" consonants, which, in this case, amounts to "g" sounds.

So, wanna get your Soprano on? Start with capicola. Drop off the end vowel. Turn the "c"s into "g"s. And emphasize the "o" sound. Whaddya get? Gabagool. Fuhgeddaboutit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It’s a bastardization of capicola. Unless they think it is somehow making fun of Italian Americans not pronouncing things then I don’t see it either.

From some article:
In the case of gabagool, it's a combination of end vowels being deleted, "oh" sounds being raised, and what linguists call "voiceless consonants," namely "k" and "c" sounds, being turned into "voiced" consonants, which, in this case, amounts to "g" sounds.

So, wanna get your Soprano on? Start with capicola. Drop off the end vowel. Turn the "c"s into "g"s. And emphasize the "o" sound. Whaddya get? Gabagool. Fuhgeddaboutit.
Okay

Wtf is capicola?

Top Bottom