TV Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
I watched Part 1 of the New Edition biopic last night. I’m a sucker for biopics and this was possibly the most popular R&B group during my childhood in the 80s, so this was right up my alley. I thought the producers did an amazing job with the casting. The young actors looked the part and did a great job with the songs as well. I also like that pretty much all the details of the biopic have been corroborated by the members of New Edition. They were on social media last night confirming that everything shown in the biopic actually happened.

So far nothing too juicy has come out of it. However I will say that it was interesting seeing that there might not be a New Edition if it weren’t for Ralph Tresvant staying loyal to his crew. In the movie after they won a local talent contest the record producer (the same guy who founded New Kids on the Block) secretly tried to only sign Tresvant to a deal but Tresvant told him he wouldn’t sign unless the entire group received a deal.

Also, they did touch on the bubbling tension between the group members and Tresvant. The other members grew tired of the record producers always putting Tresvant on lead vocals; which was strange to hear because Bobby Brown is the one who actually got kicked out of the group (they haven’t reached that part yet in the biopic).

The only real complaint I had is BET went overboard with the commercial breaks. During hour 1 the breaks were pretty normal…..12-15 minutes of the movie, then cut to commercial. The ridiculousness began in hour 2 when they literally only showed 3-4 minutes of the movie then they’d cut to commercial. They did that nonstop for the entire second hour of the movie. Completely ruined the flow of the movie.

My plan is to DVR the next 2 episodes so that I can just fast forward through the excessive commercial breaks.

I look forward to your responses. <silently humming “Cool it Now” in my cubicle>
Couple of my kids came into class singing some new edition and told me about this show. I need to check it out.

Top 3 NE songs

If it isn't Love

Can you stand the rain.

Not my kinda girl.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Couple of my kids came into class singing some new edition and told me about this show. I need to check it out.

Top 3 NE songs

If it isn't Love

Can you stand the rain.

Not my kinda girl.
That's funny. My daughter was doing the same thing. She's 18 and I've never heard her sing or reference New Edition in her life. But all of a sudden last week she's walking around the house singing "Can you stand the rain" and shit. :lol

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's funny. My daughter was doing the same thing. She's 18 and I've never heard her sing or reference New Edition in her life. But all of a sudden last week she's walking around the house singing "Can you stand the rain" and shit. :lol
These are 7th graders, you know I was like WTF?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I guess my stamina is shrinking for binge watching. I recently started SOA and am already losing interest at the start of season 3. The fact that Jax has a very noticeably fake accent really bothers me. He doesn't even sound like a Californian because the dude is English. So damn annoying. Are these folks taking over American TV these days?

It seems like I haven't been able to stick with anything that goes beyond 3 seasons lately.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess my stamina is shrinking for binge watching. I recently started SOA and am already losing interest at the start of season 3. The fact that Jax has a very noticeably fake accent really bothers me. He doesn't even sound like a Californian because the dude is English. So damn annoying. Are these folks taking over American TV these days?

It seems like I haven't been able to stick with anything that goes beyond 3 seasons lately.
Yes, the Brits playing 'murcans are taking over.

Jiggyfly

Banned

It's not you its the show, after season 2 everything started downhill.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Legion is kind of cool, but watching it makes you feel like you are insane too.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I try to keep my late night watching to low-key things that don't get the heart racing. You're probably going to think I'm nuts but I really enjoyed Pioneer Quest on Prime.

Basically two couples go out into the Canadian wilderness for a year and live like Pioneers. It is a documentary series, which is cool.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Lame TWD episode.
Completely agree. If you haven't watched it yet, don't waste your time. You're not missing anything.

My guess is they drag out this build up to the war against the Saviors until the season finale. I could see some nonsense where they have this big war in a 90-minute season finale. It'll culminate with something like Rick and Negan in a standoff with guns pointed at each other.....a shot is then fired and the screen goes black without you knowing who shot who. There's your cliffhanger leading into next season.

Unless there are some drastic changes, I'm pretty sure this will be my last season watching the show.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Completely agree. If you haven't watched it yet, don't waste your time. You're not missing anything.

My guess is they drag out this build up to the war against the Saviors until the season finale. I could see some nonsense where they have this big war in a 90-minute season finale. It'll culminate with something like Rick and Negan in a standoff with guns pointed at each other.....a shot is then fired and the screen goes black without you knowing who shot who. There's your cliffhanger leading into next season.

Unless there are some drastic changes, I'm pretty sure this will be my last season watching the show.
Oh I didn't think it was that bad of an episode. The trash people were kind of fun. But I agree with most everything else you said. The show is starting to get into the same cycle. They need to figure out how to fix that. I remember the early seasons at least they had sort of a goal other then "lets beat this other group" mentality.

D

Deuce

Oh I didn't think it was that bad of an episode. The trash people were kind of fun. But I agree with most everything else you said. The show is starting to get into the same cycle. They need to figure out how to fix that. I remember the early seasons at least they had sort of a goal other then "lets beat this other group" mentality.
What's left, though? Early on, it's "how do we stop this disease. Can we reverse it?" Well, those questions were answered and now they just have to live with it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
What's left, though? Early on, it's "how do we stop this disease. Can we reverse it?" Well, those questions were answered and now they just have to live with it.
That was scientists' opinions from a few years ago. The writers could easily spin a story about how a potential cure has now been developed.

A couple of friends and I were talking about this a few weeks ago. An interesting turn would be for them to find the cure and the next "goal" would be to spread the cure and rebuild society. Which could include rebuilding the government, clearing major cities of walkers, taking down hostile groups like the Saviors who are resistant to the reestablishment of normal government, etc.

We were just throwing around some ideas just to break up the monotony of the same old Rick's group vs. the Wolves/Saviors/Woodbury.......

Top Bottom