Trump launches military strike against Syria

townsend

Banned
After listening to more information on these attacks this weekend I have a few questions for both the Republicans and Democrats (including the Democratic Nominee who wanted to go further)

To those praising this attack.
We warned Russia, who in turn warned Assad, and Syria placed all of their active and working aircraft out in the open.
* If we were concerned about stopping more Chemical Attacks why not attack those aircraft in the open?
* We not also attack the runway? (what Clinton said we should do)

The president can't unilaterally attack a sovereign country without permission from Congress (both parties are lauding this decision) unless we are attacked or under imminent threat.
* When were we attacked?
* What imminent threat was our country under?
* The 9/11 congressional orders that McCain in others are saying justified the attack (and Obama used to justify strikes there) were for Al-Qaeda (or more broadly if you want terrorists groups) we attacked neither.
* If we are so concerned about Civilian deaths, what about the ones we have caused? Or the ones our Allies cause using bombs we send them in Yemen, Palestine, and other places?

This is my take:

Saber rattling by a President with falling numbers to boost approval
A boost for the Military Industrial Complex
Natural Resources Interests (Pipeline us and the Saudi's Want and the Syrians and Russians do not)

* Again this is from both parties, not a direct slam on this President
This is one of those issues where voter base will divide wildly from both party establishments. Berniecrats, tea party, even Tina Fey feminists that made up a lot of Hillary's core constituents have no interest in deposing another dictator and getting into another quagmire.

Support for more military intervention is going to get some mfers primaried.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Eh. Compressed water or sarin gas. What's the difference as long as it makes a good meme, amirite?

Kbrown

Not So New Member
That girl has short hair and glasses, so you know she is smart.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Ask the parent. It's their job to look after the children. It's govrrnments job to protect the country.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Some people do not know what the Missle strike was about. Hint an agreement was violated regarding using chemical war fare.
I agree in part, it was Chemical Weapons, however we do look past others who we are allied with using chemical/illegal weapons. I think it was for a lot of reasons, the weapon used was a small part.

It had absolutely nothing to do with innocent civilians being killed. As I said earlier, if it did, we would have to take a hard look at what we do, and our allies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree in part, it was Chemical Weapons, however we do look past others who we are allied with using chemical/illegal weapons. I think it was for a lot of reasons, the weapon used was a small part.

It had absolutely nothing to do with innocent civilians being killed. As I said earlier, if it did, we would have to take a hard look at what we do, and our allies.
I think it had to do with chemical weapons. They carry a certain level of grotesquerie that shocks the conscious. It was retaliation for that.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I think it had to do with chemical weapons. They carry a certain level of grotesquerie that shocks the conscious. It was retaliation for that.
In part I agree, but we have let chemical weapons and illegal weapons use slide before and done nothing.

You see who agrees with Trump doing this right, the warhawks, including Hillary, most say he didn't go far enough.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In part I agree, but we have let chemical weapons and illegal weapons use slide before and done nothing.

You see who agrees with Trump doing this right, the warhawks, including Hillary, most say he didn't go far enough.
It's like the Ray Rice video. The NFL felt pressure to do something based purely on public reaction to a video. Similarly here, Trump felt pressure to do something because of the public reaction to what happened in Syria. I don't think it was really about military action or starting a war in Syria.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
It's like the Ray Rice video. The NFL felt pressure to do something based purely on public reaction to a video. Similarly here, Trump felt pressure to do something becaise of the public reaction to what happened in Syria. I don't think it was really about military action or starting a war in Syria.
Trump didn't feel pressure. That's not how Trump works, Trump gives no shits about PR, or public opinion. He is a cable news viewer, that's where he gets his info, he is the Joe Schmo that had an emotional reaction to the video. Now he can act out with ICBMs instead of Twitter.

Top Bottom