The Tyron Smith Injury Watch Thread...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So reading about it, I see why it's a fracture. The tendon didn't actually tear off the bone - the tendon is still attached and takes the bone with it. That's actually better than the alternative, I'd think, because bone can grow back to bone just fine, maybe stronger than it was before.

CSB, I actually did this running sprints in high school football when my hip flexor pulled the bone apart from the hip. My ortho said it was rare but not unheard of with kids whose growth plates hadn't completely closed yet. Hard to see how this happens with a 32 year old doing a routine block and nothing traumatic. I'm sure PEDs wouldn't be involved. :unsure

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Dak is going to get a lot of running for his life yards. As well as the offense will lead the league in holding calls.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Tyron is endlessly coddled and pampered, yet he couldn't even make it to Game 1. Oh well, another season over before it even began, all because Stephen decided to roll the dice at WR, OT and backup QB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Generally I didn't mind the idea of Tyler being our backup LT, while serving as the LG for as long as Tyron is in the lineup.

But now that Tyron will be out most or all of the year, there is no choice, they have to sign someone.

There's literally only 2 options:

1. Sign someone who can start at LT and leave Tyler at LG
2. Move Tyler to LT and sign someone who can be counted on to start for at least 4-6 games, added bonus if that guy could also play some LG or RT (Peters potentially)

So regardless of what they do with Smith, they have to sign someone who can conceivably start at LT, ideally Fisher or Peters, or trade for Wynn.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So reading about it, I see why it's a fracture. The tendon didn't actually tear off the bone - the tendon is still attached and takes the bone with it. That's actually better than the alternative, I'd think, because bone can grow back to bone just fine, maybe stronger than it was before.

CSB, I actually did this running sprints in high school football when my hip flexor pulled the bone apart from the hip. My ortho said it was rare but not unheard of with kids whose growth plates hadn't completely closed yet. Hard to see how this happens with a 32 year old doing a routine block and nothing traumatic. I'm sure PEDs wouldn't be involved. :unsure
His hamstring basically exploded running 5 yards upfield without anybody contacting him, it's similar to McCoy popping some ligament a few years ago in position drills hitting a bag or something, and he never showed his face in the league again.

He's done, his body can't take it anymore.

He's only 32 but this is his 13th year in the league, if he's willing to tear up his current contract and come back on like a 2 year/$10 million deal, I'd take that risk since it's about what you'd pay for a swing tackle anyway and maybe you get lucky with a guy who can still play at a near Pro Bowl level, but short of that he needs to be gone.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He's done, his body can't take it anymore.

He's only 32 but this is his 13th year in the league, if he's willing to tear up his current contract and come back on like a 2 year/$10 million deal, I'd take that risk since it's about what you'd pay for a swing tackle anyway and maybe you get lucky with a guy who can still play at a near Pro Bowl level, but short of that he needs to be gone.
They'll try to bring him back next year, just watch.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They'll try to bring him back next year, just watch.
That's fine if they treat him like they treated Gregory, basically found money, but it has to be at a much lower salary and you have to make decisions in the draft as if he isn't on the roster.

You also have to be willing to leave him as a backup/swing OT in a scenario where you end up drafting an OL high and the rookie/Tyler Smith play well at LT/LG.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As an aside, Fisher signed with the Colts last year for 1 year/$8M, I'd be more than happy to throw that at him right now and move forward.

Old ass Peters isn't as good as Fisher but he brings added versatility in terms of having experience at RT and OG.

For at least the last couple years I've thought this FO wasn't serious/desperate to win, their response to this situation will tell us all we need to know. Sign someone like Fisher or Peters and they're at least trying, move forward with Ball/Waletzko or some random schlub like Tevi and you have your answer.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, if they don't sign anyone, the "Jerry is sinking McCarthy to sign Payton" doesn't look as crazy.

I'm sure they'll add someone, though. Maybe Steve gets all the candidates on a conference call and takes the cheapest bid.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Daryl Williams would be fine too, more of a RT as booze said, but has some LT experience and has been a long-time starter all across the line.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I guess the only solace is that Tyron supposedly was falling off fast and was getting beat plenty in camp. So while you never want this to happen, even if he'd played all year (lol) he wasn't going to be what he used to be anyway.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I guess the only solace is that Tyron supposedly was falling off fast and was getting beat plenty in camp. So while you never want this to happen, even if he'd played all year (lol) he wasn't going to be what he used to be anyway.
But he's still eons better than Ball or fill-in-the-blank. Dak, with his Chaz flashbacks, has to be the most depressed person on the planet today.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
But he's still eons better than Ball or fill-in-the-blank. Dak, with his Chaz flashbacks, has to be the most depressed person on the planet today.
Sure, you'd still rather have him than a guy off the street. Just saying the difference won't be as big as it was with prime first team All-Pro Tyron.

Have I mentioned lately how Garrett wasted the best OL in football? Like Parcells used to say, the circus doesn't stay in town forever.

And I did think of Dak's psyche. That Chaz game took him months to get over. Hope he's not a mental wreck this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Daryl Williams would be fine too, more of a RT as booze said, but has some LT experience and has been a long-time starter all across the line.
The Eric Fisher or Jason Peters option should be on the table too.

Top Bottom