The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't think Romo has to be Brady. Joe Flacco isn't Brady, Eli Manning isn't Brady s(in fact he won his 1st SB after the departure of a great RB), Ben Roethlisberger isn't Brady, this team might have championship potential because it was a team with championship potential that's upgraded at 4 positions and downgraded at one.
The point was, Brady could win without a strong RB. Flacco had Ray Rice, Manning didn't have superstar RB's but the tandem of Jacobs/Bradshaw was solid and always managed to get the tough yards. And the Steelers always were led by their great defense but Roethlisberger still had Bettis and then Parker/Mendenhall and now L'Veon Bell.

I'd take any of those backs in those years over McFadden/R. Joseph now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Vinstile? I didn't realize you worked for MeUndies.:art

That is very interesting. I wonder what kind of RB they could get if they packaged him and Leary.
Randle, Leary, and Barry Church (since Byron Jones is our new starting FS).

For Adrian Peterson. :towel

townsend

Banned
The point was, Brady could win without a strong RB. Flacco had Ray Rice, Manning didn't have superstar RB's but the tandem of Jacobs/Bradshaw was solid and always managed to get the tough yards. And the Steelers always were led by their great defense but Roethlisberger still had Bettis and then Parker/Mendenhall and now L'Veon Bell.

I'd take any of those backs in those years over McFadden/R. Joseph now.
If you were a giants fan in 2007, wouldn't you be just as livid with Jacobs/Ward/Bradshaw? They were nobody. None of them had any more Pedigree, on field achievements, or visible talent than our current stable.

And Bettis! Are you serious? Bettis in 2005 was a team mascot who averaged 3.3 YPC and nearly blew the game against the Colts with a goal line fumble. Willie Parker, the UDFA, had an almost identical stat line to Randle's the year before he rushed for 1200 yards and helped win the SB. He and Mewelde Moore (another JAG) won the SB in 2008 with a RBBC. Bell and Mendenhall never won Superbowls despite being backs with pedigree and high draft picks.

Ray Rice was okay in 2012, but not exactly a top back. Middle of the pack when it came to yards/attempts. If we're being honest here, Flacco is no Romo either. There's more of a disparity between those two than Romo and Brady.

It's easy to say which backs you'd like to have had with hindsight on your side. But there's no reason Randle can't be Willie Parker, or Ahmad Bradshaw, or Mewelde Moore.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

@NFLCharean: #Cowboys worked out four RBs today. Tate, Felix Jones, Daniel Thomas and Ronnie Wingo.

Ronnie Wingo eh? :lol

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
@NFLCharean: #Cowboys worked out four RBs today. Tate, Felix Jones, Daniel Thomas and Ronnie Wingo.

Ronnie Wingo eh? :lol
Man, we sure have a lot of favors to do for people.

Obviously we're not worried about RB though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If you were a giants fan in 2007, wouldn't you be just as livid with Jacobs/Ward/Bradshaw? They were nobody. None of them had any more Pedigree, on field achievements, or visible talent than our current stable.

And Bettis! Are you serious? Bettis in 2005 was a team mascot who averaged 3.3 YPC and nearly blew the game against the Colts with a goal line fumble. Willie Parker, the UDFA, had an almost identical stat line to Randle's the year before he rushed for 1200 yards and helped win the SB. He and Mewelde Moore (another JAG) won the SB in 2008 with a RBBC. Bell and Mendenhall never won Superbowls despite being backs with pedigree and high draft picks.

Ray Rice was okay in 2012, but not exactly a top back. Middle of the pack when it came to yards/attempts. If we're being honest here, Flacco is no Romo either. There's more of a disparity between those two than Romo and Brady.

It's easy to say which backs you'd like to have had with hindsight on your side. But there's no reason Randle can't be Willie Parker, or Ahmad Bradshaw, or Mewelde Moore.
You get the homer award. Congrats.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

The two aren't mutually exclusive. We clearly are gonna do something at RB at some point, that should be obvious (and thus also should mitigate the need for the hysterical freak out about the position).

But it can also be true that we are throwing Felix Jones a bone while we work out other backs.

townsend

Banned
You get the homer award. Congrats.
I'll admit to homering out. For good reason. If you go back and see my posts from beginning of 2014 I thought that team was DOA. Could you imagine what kid of idiot you'd have to be to predict last season?

What we saw was the departure of Ware and Hatcher, and the increasingly feeble Romo go under the knife for the second time in as many years. What we didn't see was some real, competent ass managing that solidified the line, brought in a talented offensive mind, promoted the guy who should have been DC this whole time. As well as finding talent off the scrap heap. You'd have been called god damned delusional for predicting 12-4 last year. But looking back on it, it wasn't some fluke season (like 2003) Romo did what Romo does, the line we should have seen coming became the force three 1sts ought to be, Marinelli's defense go turnovers, Murray had his best performance in a contract year.

Now coming off of the best season in 19 years. We had the best offseason in 20 years. I'm elated. I don't get why everyone isn't. If circumstances dictated that I should be dismal, than I would be. I feel like there are some on this board who think positivity is somehow dumb. But I'd say it's foolish to look at a great season and offseason and not see a reason to celebrate.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So even though it was very effective it must stop.

How does that make any sense.
It was statistically very effective. Lots of gimmicks are statistically very effective. If a defense has the ability to dial up any pressure at all that gimmick gets crushed.

Leaving aside even that. Say for the sake of argument it was consistently effective.

YES. IT HAS TO STOP.

Empty back sets are open invitations to put Romo out for the season. If I'm any team in the NFC East I'm coming up with a package to blitz the shit out of that. You're guaranteed big hits on Romo even if he completes some passes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The Cowboys also worked out wide receiver A.J. Jenkins, a first-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers in 2012. After failing to catch a pass as a rookie, he was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs and caught 17 passes for 223 yards in two seasons there.

The Cowboys also worked out wide receivers Kris Durham, Tommy Streeter and B.J. Cunningham. Durham played for offensive coordinator Scott Linehan for two years with the Detroit Lions with his best season coming in 2013, when he caught 38 passes for 490 yards and two touchdowns. He caught four passes for 54 yards in a win against Dallas that year.

I guess this means we are super concerned about WR as well? Dez better watch out.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Now coming off of the best season in 19 years. We had the best offseason in 20 years. I'm elated. I don't get why everyone isn't. If circumstances dictated that I should be dismal, than I would be. I feel like there are some on this board who think positivity is somehow dumb. But I'd say it's foolish to look at a great season and offseason and not see a reason to celebrate.
We're good in a lot of areas and have improved in some. But our running game is one of the main reasons we had as much success as we did last year and now it's an area of concern. It could work out but I think it's a gamble to count on a reclamation project and our backups.

Top Bottom