The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd say it was easily the majority of posters on the game day threads. Of course those are mostly bitchfests.
even including gameday threads, which I wouldn't since as you said they are bitchfests, I still wouldn't say most. I think you're hearing a vocal minority.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. He only led the league in rushing last season. Think what he could have done if he knew how to run the ball. :art
My argument was always with Murray that all RBs leave yards on the ground. Murray himself would say so. Murray also created yards all on his own at times that other RBs wouldn't get.

Genghis Khan

My argument was always with Murray that all RBs leave yards on the ground. Murray himself would say so. Murray also created yards all on his own at times that other RBs wouldn't get.
I agree. Murray is one of the best at falling forward and getting an extra couple yards as he goes down.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Murray was never a finess runner. He relied on strength and raw power. He always did. That's what made him reliable. You want someone who can keep drives going? Murray's your man. You want someone who can take over a game and keep the opponent's offense off the field? Few were better. He isn't flashy or explosive but he can move the ball. He is exactly what Dallas needed.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ballsy of him to make a comment like this cause it can be taken in different ways, but he also isn't the brightest bulb in the pack either.

That said, I don't disagree with him. I thought Murray made poor reads when he got to the 2nd level of the defense and often looked for contact instead of just getting upfield.
Yeah, I agree with him too. I'm not going to put a number on it, but it wasn't exactly a rare occurence that I felt a different and/or better back than Murray would have gotten better results on a carry. Of course I'm sure you can say there were times that Murray made something out of nothing too, but overall I think that spot is definitely upgradeable.

That being said I question (doubt, actually) whether or not Randle is the person who can actually get more "meat off the bone" on an every-down basis.

Of course, no matter what you think about our RB position you have to be somewhat excited about our upcoming season. Feel like you could say we are as good or better at every position except RB. And all that takes is one timely (and possibly not all that expensive) trade to basically be mitigated.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I agree with him too. I'm not going to put a number on it, but it wasn't exactly a rare occurence that I felt a different and/or better back than Murray would have gotten better results on a carry. Of course I'm sure you can say there were times that Murray made something out of nothing too, but overall I think that spot is definitely upgradeable.

That being said I question (doubt, actually) whether or not Randle is the person who can actually get more "meat off the bone" on an every-down basis.

Of course, no matter what you think about our RB position you have to be somewhat excited about our upcoming season. Feel like you could say we are as good or better at every position except RB. And all that takes is one timely (and possibly not all that expensive) trade to basically be mitigated.
The only spots I have any real concern at on the roster are DT and RB, excluding injury of course. If we can pull some RB production out of our asses and Marinelli can continue to cobble together a group of average run stuffing DT's, this team has as much potential as any.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The only spots I have any real concern at on the roster are DT and RB, excluding injury of course. If we can pull some RB production out of our asses and Marinelli can continue to cobble together a group of average run stuffing DT's, this team has as much potential as any.
A bad DT makes weaknesses at LB and S much worse. We are actually better off at RB than 1T.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They were saying today on the DC.com shows that Greg Hardy can play inside on passing downs as well as Mincey, and your outside rushers can be Lawrence and Gregory.

You'd like to have a DT who can stay on the field for three downs next to Crawford but if you can get pass rush from Mincey/Hardy there without sacrificing the edge rush because you have Gregory and Lawrence, you at least help out the situation. I guess when you need run stopping it can be by committee between McClain, Hayden and Bishop.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'd like to have a DT who can stay on the field for three downs next to Crawford
Well we are going to rotate the D-line regardless. It's what we do and it's part of the reason why Marinelli is so effective with these D-lineman. So I don't have a problem looking at a guy like Hayden as a 2 down player because he may only play around 50% of the snaps anyway.

Obviously I'd prefer a NT who can rush the passer when the offense shows run but decides to pass. Just like I'd prefer a guy who can stuff the run when the offense is in a passing situation. Hayden really isn't a massive concern to me, I just think it's a spot we could easily get better.

My bigger concern about DT is depth. Crawford is a very good player but if he gets hurt who the hell is our 3 technique? That spot is very important in this defense and our best options are suddenly to move DE's into the 3 technique spot.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well we are going to rotate the D-line regardless. It's what we do and it's part of the reason why Marinelli is so effective with these D-lineman. So I don't have a problem looking at a guy like Hayden as a 2 down player because he may only play around 50% of the snaps anyway.

Obviously I'd prefer a NT who can rush the passer when the offense shows run but decides to pass. Just like I'd prefer a guy who can stuff the run when the offense is in a passing situation. Hayden really isn't a massive concern to me, I just think it's a spot we could easily get better.

My bigger concern about DT is depth. Crawford is a very good player but if he gets hurt who the hell is our 3 technique? That spot is very important in this defense and our best options are suddenly to move DE's into the 3 technique spot.
I agree about the depth behind Crawford being a bigger concern, it's the biggest reason I was so adamant about wanting to draft a guy like Michael Bennett or Grady Jarrett. If I had to guess we'd probably start McClain at the 3, but who really knows.

Lawrence can also probably kick inside to rush the passer in nickel/dime, although I don't really want to move any of the DE's to the 3 if something happens to Crawford.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree about the depth behind Crawford being a bigger concern, it's the biggest reason I was so adamant about wanting to draft a guy like Michael Bennett or Grady Jarrett. If I had to guess we'd probably start McClain at the 3, but who really knows.

Lawrence can also probably kick inside to rush the passer in nickel/dime, although I don't really want to move any of the DE's to the 3 if something happens to Crawford.
Lawrence is way too small to be playing inside with any sort of regularity. I think long term Ryan Russel can follow the Crawford path to the 3 technique spot but I just can't see him being ready as a rookie to make that transition. He needs to add some size and there is just a lot of technique to learn to play inside. Coleman may be out best bet as a backup 3 technique but he left a really bad taste in my mouth after reading the Hardy stuff with regards to him. Sounds like a lazy dumbass.

Genghis Khan

Wow.
man there some people In Philly butthurt over this. :lol

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Anybody watching Murray could see he left yards in the open field, people keep act like Randle had wide open lanes to the end zone on his long runs but he actually ran to daylight.

Getting those consistent 4 to 6-yard carries will be hard to replicate but I can see us leading the NFL in explosive running plays.

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Anybody watching Murray could see he left yards in the open field, people keep act like Randle had wide open lanes to the end zone on his long runs but he actually ran to daylight.

Getting those consistent 4 to 6-yard carries will be hard to replicate but I can see us leading the NFL in explosive running plays.
They first year when Murray broke off those big runs like against the Rams was the last year he seemed capable of that. I agree with you and Randle for that matter. Murray did leave yards on the field sometimes looking for contact rather than daylight as you put it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Our downfield blocking is some of the best in the NFL. It's seriously insane how well our guys get to the second level and block.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What is the consensus on Mcfadden.

1.He is no longer a capable back.

2.He will never be healthy enough to contribute.

3.He never was any good anyway.

My thinking is closer to 2, I think he will not be able to stay healthy enough to be considered a lead back but I can see him having a game or 2 pushing 200 yards.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the consensus on Mcfadden.

1.He is no longer a capable back.

2.He will never be healthy enough to contribute.

3.He never was any good anyway.

My thinking is closer to 2, I think he will not be able to stay healthy enough to be considered a lead back but I can see him having a game or 2 pushing 200 yards.
I don't think he is necessarily washed up. The physical ability is similar to what he had early in his career. In his second year he averaged 3.4 YPC and then suddenly in his third and fourth years he ran for over 5 YPC and then ever since after has been in that 3.4 YPC area. What that tells me is he is mostly a product of the system and the guys in front of him. He is a guy who with proper blocking jumps dramatically in terms of YPC because he has that big play ability to boost that overall stat.

I just happen to think we have better and more consistent RBs on the roster. I also don't think McFadden can stay healthy but if we keep his carries to a low number I think he could be useful as part of the depth chart.

Top Bottom