The Outrage Thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Do you or any of our lawyer friends know anything about power of attorney law? I have a daughter that I am going to have to file power of attorney/legal rights paperwork on and I had just as not pay the $6k they are asking to file the paperwork. I need this for her well-being. I think it's obvious why.

Also, @Genghis Khan and any other lawyers I may have missed.

Unfortunately it's outside of my area of expertise particularly with special needs, which my understanding is that there's specific proceedings and laws regarding.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you or any of our lawyer friends know anything about power of attorney law? I have a daughter that I am going to have to file power of attorney/legal rights paperwork on and I had just as not pay the $6k they are asking to file the paperwork. I need this for her well-being. I think it's obvious why.

Also, @Genghis Khan and any other lawyers I may have missed.
Yeah a power of attorney is just paperwork. That is easy. But they can be revoked and give limited powers. But in Missouri you'd probably be talking more of an adult guardianship. That requires something filed with the court, a hearing and than being appointed as guardian and conservator. If you lived in Missouri I could help you with it but Texas is foreign law to me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Unfortunately it's outside of my area of expertise particularly with special needs, which my understanding is that there's specific proceedings and laws regarding.
I just have to file this paperwork before she turns 18 so I maintain say over her medical and financial decisions. It's pretty standard is my understanding. I had just rather not pay the 6 grand if I don't have to.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah a power of attorney is just paperwork. That is easy. But they can be revoked and give limited powers. But in Missouri you'd probably be talking more of an adult guardianship. That requires something filed with the court, a hearing and than being appointed as guardian and conservator. If you lived in Missouri I could help you with it but Texas is foreign law to me.
Damn it, move your ass to Texas, boy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I just have to file this paperwork before she turns 18 so I maintain say over her medical and financial decisions. It's pretty standard is my understanding. I had just rather not pay the 6 grand if I don't have to.
Just write it on a post it note and keep it in your wallet. If its good enough for the will if Ron Swanson then it should suffice.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I was but I'm not practicing anymore.

I've chosen to pursue my dream of being a roadie.

For Gordon Lightfoot.
I tend to think that if I ever separated from the firm I'm at now, I probably wouldn't practice law anymore either.

Unless my wife got a high paying job (possible as a math and science background), in which case I might hang up a shingle and do some stuff part time just to keep busy.

But I'm approaching 40 and I'm not going to start over at a big firm trying to make partner.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Only went to law school for a short while but I had a sister my parents had to do that for. I can check on more exact details, but I'm pretty sure they just filed the paperwork with the court. If you know any judges or know anyone who does, they can help you out. Like you say, no need to pay $6k for that.

Cotton

Staff member
Only went to law school for a short while but I had a sister my parents had to do that for. I can check on more exact details, but I'm pretty sure they just filed the paperwork with the court. If you know any judges or know anyone who does, they can help you out. Like you say, no need to pay $6k for that.
Problem is, I don't know any judges or lawyers personally here in Lubbock.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The in-laws are doing that at the moment. She turns 18 in October. Not sure that there are any shortcuts for you as they are going through a lawyer.

Cotton

Staff member
The in-laws are doing that at the moment. She turns 18 in October. Not sure that there are any shortcuts for you as they are going through a lawyer.
I'm not sure there are any shortcuts available to me or not, but a lady I work with has a special needs kid and she had a lawyer friend that did it for free.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't Texas Tech have a law school? I know when I was at SLU the school had some services they offered, law students were able to practice some law and get experience under the supervision of an attorney. You may want to see if the law school has any connections.

Cotton

Staff member
Doesn't Texas Tech have a law school? I know when I was at SLU the school had some services they offered, law students were able to practice some law and get experience under the supervision of an attorney. You may want to see if the law school has any connections.
That's a really good idea. I have contacts over there. Thanks, man. I didn't even think of that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What’s going on with Australia these days? Thought it used to be a nice place to live. The UK practically seems better these days.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
What’s going on with Australia these days? Thought it used to be a nice place to live. The UK practically seems better these days.
Didn't the government take the citizens' guns about a decade ago?

They've been taking it up the arse ever since.

Top Bottom