The OTA/Mini Camp Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 1h
“@cowboyss12: @BryanBroaddus witch rookie has been doing the best in OTA'S” Escobar

“@Cowboy1brian: @BryanBroaddus Does Durant have a shoulder issue?” Hamstring.

“@TheBadestMoFo: @BryanBroaddus how has @MoClaiborne looked during press coverages during OTA's...stronger?” Not playing much press. Bail.

“@TheCTempleton: @BryanBroaddus how's the 4-3 looking? Is it a welcome change among players?” Actually it has been good. Players in position

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Backup RBs Make Most Of Reps; Rookie DT Impressive

Posted 18 hours ago

Bryan BroaddusFootball Analyst/Scout

Just some thoughts that I was able to pick up from OTA practice for the Cowboys this week:

•There has been some positive comments about the job that both running backs Lance Durbar and Phillip Tanner have been able to put together while DeMarco Murray and Joseph Randle tended to their injuries. Dunbar has shown plenty of quickness in the team period but today he was able to spin Sean Lee around in the one-on-one receiving drills with a quick outside move, then hard back inside which brought him some nice separation. In the same drill Tanner was able to adjust to the ball over his head and get himself turned around and up the field. Dunbar has looked the most explosive of the backs and has the experience of playing well on special teams but was also told to keep an eye on Tanner on teams even after he struggled at times last season. Coaches feel there are some things that he is doing better than others and that has given them some hope. Kendial Lawrence was the star of the rookie mini-camp but has yet to make a big splash. Where all these backs are going to have to get better is on the blitz pickup which is an area that I am sure that Gary Brown will be hammering on when they get into pads.

•When I was able to observe practice on Tuesday, it was very clear that Jason Witten was putting himself into a position to once again have another outstanding season. Witten has been used more as the inline “Y” as a blocker while James Hanna and Gavin Escobar have been used more as the move or wing. Witten has seen some time in the backfield when Callahan decides that he was to run his three wide packages. When a skilled player gets further along in his career, he becomes crafty because the skill level tends to fade. In Witten’s case he has become crafty but the routes are run at a very high level. Where Witten really does a nice job is his ability to sell where he wants you to believe where he is going then break it into a different direction. He is a load to handle up the field and then when he leans on you getting your weight on the outside, then he cuts back. These safeties and linebackers have struggled in this camp trying to match him up the field. From what I have seen, there has been no slippage in his play.

•From my favorite section of players that you have never heard of but has caught my eye, defensive tackle Nick Hayden needs to be mentioned. Hayden wears Marcus Spears’ old number of 96 but he has managed to get into the backfield more these last few days than Spears did in the last three seasons. Hayden has lined up as the one technique behind Robert Callaway and has been just as productive and at times even more. Hayden was a sixth round selection by the Panthers in 2008 and at 6-4, 292 he has played with some nice surge and power. I have seen him line up in the gap and at the snap, split Phil Costa and Nate Livings getting to Kyle Orton before he could get rid of the ball. In the Team period, he managed to beat another double team, this time between Darrion Weems and David Arkin. Hayden for the most part has done a nice job in the running game but there was one time where Costa and Livings were able to get their revenge and get a little push on him.

•On my twitter account (@BryanBroaddus) I had a follower ask me how receiver Anthony Armstrong was playing. My answer was that I saw him gain separation on a “Sutter-Go” but drop the ball. This afternoon I asked some front office guys that observed practice and they said he had a much better day both catching the ball but using his speed to get open. I was told that he was outstanding on a slant against Mo Claiborne taking his route hard inside and getting to the point before Claiborne could react. In the Blitz period, he ran a route underneath getting open to make a secure catch while the line picked up the blitz and in the one-on-one, he was able to drive B.W. Webb out of his pedal and complete a catch on the out route getting his feet down in bounds. For Armstrong, he did a much better job of getting noticed.

•When I studied linebacker DeVonte Holloman at South Carolina I didn’t think he had all that much in the area of coverage skill and being a former strong safety and moving him to linebacker, I thought that’s probably why they made that switch. What has surprised me is that these defensive coaches have been using Holloman in coverage. In the 7-on-7 period, Kiffin matched him up against Gavin Escobar and he did an outstanding job of carrying him across the field and keeping him from the ball. What made this usual is that Holloman usually plays as the Sam and that is the position that comes off the field when they add the nickel back on the field. In this case, Holloman was playing as the Mike and he remained on the field for this scheme. Holloman hasn’t looked out of place or lost when they have put him on the field and along with Taylor Reed has been taking some nice reps. With Lee, Carter and Durant the likely starters, depth will be key and the fact that Holloman has been productive at Sam and Mike has been a good early sign.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I have seen him line up in the gap and at the snap, split Phil Costa and Nate Livings getting to Kyle Orton before he could get rid of the ball. In the Team period, he managed to beat another double team, this time between Darrion Weems and David Arkin.
Yeah, special... I mean nobody does this to the likes of Weems, Costa, Livings, and Arkin.

data

Forbes #1
Is this the year Isiaiah Stanback finally breaks out?

Cotton

Staff member
[h=2]Broaddus: Some Thoughts Entering Week 2 Of OTAs[/h]Posted 27 minutes ago
​​
Bryan BroaddusFootball Analyst/Scout

Here are some thoughts for the start of the second week of Organized Team Activities:

• It will be another opportunity for Phillip Tanner, Lance Dunbar and Kendial Lawrence to get some work with the first and second offenses since DeMarco Murray will be out once again with his hamstring soreness and Joseph Randle is missing practices with the thumb injury. I thought it was a good start for both Tanner and Dunbar with Lawrence trying to build on what he was able to do in rookie camp but at times not as productive as he needed to be.

• Orlando Scandrick was the best corner on the practice field last week both in the terms of playing on the outside and in the slot. It’s a different technique for Brandon Carr andMorris Claiborne to have to execute by playing bail but they are getting the hang of it.Sterling Moore will look to improve this week when there were a couple of reps where he wasn’t at his best. B.W. Webb now has three more practices under his belt, so let’s see if that helps him with his confidence in playing the scheme as well.

• My gut tells me that Barry Church will be one of the starting safeties and the other one will come from Matt Johnson, Will Allen, J.J. Wilcox and Jakar Hamilton. Johnson was running with the second team when practice opened last Tuesday but as the week wore on, he was with the ones. Wilcox also made the jump seeing more action with the twos, with Hamilton just trying to get on the field after working with the trainers. Church is moving well and physically looks in better shape than he did at this time last season. Johnson made it through the week with no problems and after what happened to him last season, that was a real positive.

• With Mackenzy Bernadeau sitting again this week during team periods, we will once again seeRonald Leary getting more of the reps with the ones. Leary has been playing on both the left and right side without any major issues. Matter of fact, there have been some reps where he has shown some veteran awareness helping Travis Frederick with handling games upfront. Frederick tends to lose track where the twist is coming from and Leary has been there to save him from giving up a pressure. Leary was also done a nice job of getting outside and making the screens look better.

• The reps will continue to be split on the right side at tackle with Doug Free andJermey Parnell. It hasn’t been one over the other when it comes to the reps. There are times where the period starts and Free is the starter, then the next period, it’s Parnell. These tackles are also working with different combinations at guard as well. Both Free and Parnell are getting plenty of work againstAnthony Spencer who in my view has been the best defensive player on the field who has been a handful for both guys. If I had to give one player the nod early here, it would be Free who has looked more solid in his technique and reps.

• Tyrone Crawford suffered some back tightness last week and was limited in what he could do while Kyle Wilber showed me something as a pass rusher. Wilber had some reps againstTyron Smith where it was really a nice battle but Smith can hammer you with not only his punch but his foot work. Wilber didn’t get caught as much as I thought he would against Smith and was able to free himself around the edge and generate some pressure off the edge against Smith. There were some combinations where Kiffin brought Wilber and Spencer off the edge with Carter in the mix and created some problems. Before these OTAs there were some questions of where Wilber would be a fit but as a backup defensive end in this scheme, he is making these coaches gain a little confidence in his ability.

Cotton

Staff member
Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher4m
S Will Allen not taking part in practice. Running on the side. Puts Matt Johnson with the first team today.

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher4m
Look for Doug Free to get all the RT work today. Jermey Parnell sitting out w a hamstring

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher3m
Justin Durant, Jakar Hamilton going thru rehab in helmets. I guess that's progress from last week

Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman3m
Tony Romo not on the field this day of OTA .. Spending more time on treadmill rehabbing back .. Might come out during team drills

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus44s
There were no rookies on the punt return group nor with the group now punting.

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean1m
Justin Durant, Will Allen, Anthony Hargrove, DeMarco Murray among those working on the side.

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC4m
Dwayne Harris back returning punts for first punt return portions

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins40s
Benford, Allen, Murray, Randle, Hamilton, vickers, Durant, Parnell, romo, Hargrove and Brent are out of the OTA.

Cotton

Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 40s
Lance Dunbar just made Lee look poor in coverage. Bryant with an easy slant on Carr. Malik James reads the out on Green to knock away.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 2m
“@cmd34: @BryanBroaddus Albright will get exposed.” Have a feeling that Justin Durant will be there.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 3m
“@Mossnation88: @BryanBroaddus @AmarillaThrilla does that answer means his blocking hasn't looked good?” They are not in pads.
View conversation

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 4m
Holloman McSurdy Sims LBs McCray Wilcox S. Moore LCB Scandrick RCB. For the 2s.
Expand

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 5m
Justin Durant is wearing a hoodie under his uniform. I am sweating in short sleeves. How long til he passes out in this heat?
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 9m
Albright Lee Carter the LBers. Church and Johnson the S with first group.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 17s
Carr not in same area code with Bryant on the In. Carlton Mitchell gets inside of Scandrick. Dunbar once again in space. McCray in position.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 13s
Carr carries Bryant on the 9 knocks ball away. Harris in front of Moore. Lawrence with a drop vs Magee in flat. Mitchell has something here.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 1m
“@PhilMalvo: @BryanBroaddus how do you rate carr as far as top cb's as his salary suggest?” They paid him, he's yours.
View conversation

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 1m
QB Kyle Orton struggled in 1 v 1throws. Wind gave him trouble. Dez Bryant owned Brandon Carr in every rep.
Expand
Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 2m
S Danny McCray walks into locker room with athletic trainer Jim Maurer. Not sure of the issue.
Expand

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 3m
Johnson knocks ball away from Smith. Wilcox gives separation to Hanna. McCray now walking off field with Trainer.
Expand

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 3m
McCray walking off the field. Didn't see how he hurt himself.

Cotton

Staff member
McCray hurt again. :lol

Cotton

Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 1m
Looks like Lissemore will play the one and Hatcher shifts to the three when Ratliff comes out.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 18s
Now with Hatcher out Bass is playing the 3 Lissemore the 1. Crawford LDE and Cameron Sheffield at RDE.

Cotton

Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 50s
Frederick still remains the starter at center. Arkin at ROG. Free the ROT.

:lol

Pathetic.

Top Bottom