The OTA/Mini Camp Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No, I said he's the best prospect we've drafted in years, and I believe that. I think he and chuch at safety would be our best bet.
I'm going to assume that you mean best "safety" prospect we've drafted in years.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Holy shit how can you even say that? There is no way in hell Wilcox is worse than McCray. Right now. You know it too.
I'm with Carp on this one.... Wilcox is potentially as raw as they come. He doesn't know NFL schemes or anything.

Maybe by midseason he is better than McCray but as of right now, this very second, I wouldn't be surprised if he looked completely lost out there. McCray has been here for years and while he sucks, there is still a chance that Wilcox is a complete bust like Ansah was.

Until we've seen him prove that he's not, well.... McCray has to be considered the better player.

Lotuseater

Banned
I'm with Carp on this one.... Wilcox is potentially as raw as they come. He doesn't know NFL schemes or anything.

Maybe by midseason he is better than McCray but as of right now, this very second, I wouldn't be surprised if he looked completely lost out there. McCray has been here for years and while he sucks, there is still a chance that Wilcox is a complete bust like Ansah was.

Until we've seen him prove that he's not, well.... McCray has to be considered the better player.
The fact that McCray can't even keep up with NFL recievers makes him a worse player. That and those bricks he has for hands. I guess time will tell.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Wilcox can be the best athlete in the world but that won't mean anything if he's lined up wrong or doesn't know his assignments. Until we see more of him it's hard to say he's better or worse than anyone at this point. I can't imagine it will take much to surpass McCray, but it's too early to say he's already better in a definitive manner.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The fact that McCray can't even keep up with NFL recievers makes him a worse player. That and those bricks he has for hands. I guess time will tell.
We don't know if Wilcox can keep up with NFL players. He's a complete question mark. He may be able to physically, but mentally he may not be able to, which means he won't be able to do it even if he has the physical capabilities.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure why that is. McCray is that bad at safety where I can make that judgment now. That would be like saying we don't know if Frederick is better then Costa. We all damn know that Frederick is a better player then Costa without seeing him play a single down in the NFL. In McCray's case he really is that bad on defense. He doesn't belong in the NFL as a safety. He is a total disaster on the field, so I don't think it is any stretch to say a player who was unanimously worth a draft pick according to NFL scouts is a better player.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not sure why that is. McCray is that bad at safety where I can make that judgment now. That would be like saying we don't know if Frederick is better then Costa. We all damn know that Frederick is a better player then Costa without seeing him play a single down in the NFL. In McCray's case he really is that bad on defense. He doesn't belong in the NFL as a safety. He is a total disaster on the field, so I don't think it is any stretch to say a player who was unanimously worth a draft pick according to NFL scouts is a better player.
I would agree on Frederick but not Wilcox.

Frederick is an NFL-ready player who is smart, his body is developed, and he's from a program that has a reputation for producing NFL quality players.

Much different than a guy coming from a whole other division of college football. I think it's very fair to say that a player from that level has to show that he can adjust to the speed and nuances of the game. Wilcox was projected as a third round pick, but that projection was largely based off his upside, not his NFL readiness.

Frederick will be as plug and play as they come. If he's not better than Costa, he's simply a bust.

Wilcox is a guy we know needs seasoning. Very different.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wilcox is a guy we know needs seasoning. Very different.
That may make sense if we were talking about even a competent safety. We aren't, we are talking about McCray. A guy who couldn't even play safety well in college. He was a college special teams ace that we signed to be an NFL special teams ace. Fact is McCray has never been a good safety at any level (Well maybe highschool). It's not a leap of faith to say someone who looked like the best safety at the Senior Bowl is better then possibly the most incompetent safety in the NFL.

This has less to do with Wilcox and more to do with how truly horrific McCray is.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That may make sense if we were talking about even a competent safety. We aren't, we are talking about McCray. A guy who couldn't even play safety well in college. He was a college special teams ace that we signed to be an NFL special teams ace. Fact is McCray has never been a good safety at any level (Well maybe highschool). It's not a leap of faith to say someone who looked like the best safety at the Senior Bowl is better then possibly the most incompetent safety in the NFL.

This has less to do with Wilcox and more to do with how truly horrific McCray is.
McCray is pretty horrible, but he did make an NFL roster. Wilcox hasn't done that yet and if he does it may be only on potential.

Lotuseater

Banned
Thank you. You're exactly right. McCray is so awful, I've seen enough of him at safety. If its a choice between him and Wilcox to play, you know damn well everyone here would be all "Wilcox".

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
McCray is pretty horrible, but he did make an NFL roster. Wilcox hasn't done that yet and if he does it may be only on potential.
McCray couldn't make an NFL roster as a safety. Not out of college and not in the NFL today.

Lotuseater

Banned
I was laughing at the "best prospect we have drafted in years" comment.
I think he's the best looking safety I've seen drafted by Dallas since Roy Williams, as sad as that is. I guess its more an indictment on the cowboys than they player, because we don't draft well there.

Top Bottom