The Old Games Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the thread where you do not have to be happy and show only happy thoughts about happy Cowboys games.

Since there is a very oppressive feel to the Nostalgia Thread, you can post other games, even Ls, here.

This is where you are free to speak your mind after you watch a replay.

Anyways, NFLN had the 2016 Steelers game on today.

That was a nice game, but I wouldn't go so far to say it was a great win.

Had Tomlin go for three 2-points and fail, this game would have been different.

Here is the Test Thread associated with it.

My thing is weird, but every time I put on an old game, I often go back to the original chatter.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm honestly not trying to shit on one of your threads, boozer -- I'll do that other places -- but my thought on that game is it's amazing to me how much play this particular game gets from so many fans. It's like, if you beat a "name" team it's noteworthy, even in a year that goes nowhere.

The Steelers weren't even any good then -- they were 4-4 and had lost three games in a row, but I guess because they beat us in those Super Bowls, this was some great win?

I think it goes more to how inept the Garrett years were and how far the franchise has fallen. This and that one Seattle game was about the best he could do.

In fact, my posts in this thread would be like the Detroit game Garrett choked up, or the incredible loss to Matt Flynn, or the Ice Ice Bailey game.

I do like your thread idea being more for losses since those aren't for the nostalgia thread.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm honestly not trying to shit on one of your threads, boozer -- I'll do that other places -- but my thought on that game is it's amazing to me how much play this particular game gets from so many fans. It's like, if you beat a "name" team it's noteworthy, even in a year that goes nowhere.

The Steelers weren't even any good then -- they were 4-4 and had lost three games in a row, but I guess because they beat us in those Super Bowls, this was some great win?

I think it goes more to how inept the Garrett years were and how far the franchise has fallen. This and that one Seattle game was about the best he could do.

In fact, my posts in this thread would be like the Detroit game Garrett choked up, or the incredible loss to Matt Flynn, or the Ice Ice Bailey game.

I do like your thread idea being more for losses since those aren't for the nostalgia thread.

I think at the time it was understandable to be excited about the win. Romo went down (again) and Dak came in out nowhere to lift the team from the fate of 2015. No one knew at the time what Dak's ceiling was. And then Zeke was looking like the best RB in the league. And this was right in the middle of, Do we have something here?

I think that's what people are nostalgic about.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

Plus the Steelers went on to the AFC championship game that year. That was unquestionably a good team and a good win to beat them. Not just a name team.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think at the time it was understandable to be excited about the win. Romo went down (again) and Dak came in out nowhere to lift the team from the fate of 2015. No one knew at the time what Dak's ceiling was. And then Zeke was looking like the best RB in the league. And this was right in the middle of, Do we have something here?

I think that's what people are nostalgic about.
It was also was the last time Elliott looked worth every penny we paid him years later.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Victories are already posted in the nostalgia thread. I guess this is a thread just for losses.

But you embedded a game that we won. Now I'm confused.

Genghis Khan

The funny thing about these old games is, they are easy to find nowadays. YouTube, even Twitter has an abundance of them.

Growing up I would have killed for all this. 20 years ago I would download them and burn them on CDs. Prior to that you had to hope you had it recorded on VHS otherwise you were essentially SOL.

And yet, now that they are readily available, I very rarely ever watch them.

And I can't tell if it's me or them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The funny thing about these old games is, they are easy to find nowadays. YouTube, even Twitter has an abundance of them.

Growing up I would have killed for all this. 20 years ago I would download them and burn them on CDs. Prior to that you had to hope you had it recorded on VHS otherwise you were essentially SOL.

And yet, now that they are readily available, I very rarely ever watch them.

And I can't tell if it's me or them.
I am the same. I used to go back and watch my VHS and later burned DVDs over and over again. Now I could watch practically anything and I rarely make the effort.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I understand it at the time, I just don't understand it still today.

That's what happens when there are so few great wins the last decade, though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Victories are already posted in the nostalgia thread. I guess this is a thread just for losses.

But you embedded a game that we won. Now I'm confused.
You should not be confused. Not every game qualifies for nostalgia, especially that one.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
We have had literal blowout wins in the past few years that I don’t consider great. It is weird.
I still say if we'd beaten the 4-4 Chargers or Jets in a game that went exactly the same way, it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
I started recording every game I could catch back in the mid-late 80's, which was sometimes difficult being in Philadelphia and southern VA.

Back around 2005 I started transferring them to DVD, then 2012 converted them over to mpg.

Every once in a while I'll come across a game on the Tube going back to the 70's that I don't have and download it. There's some pretty dedicated collectors out there sharing the wealth.

I think at last count I have over 730 games, including every game since 2005.

Top Bottom