The Odell Beckham Watch Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I mean if he signs in Buffalo I won't be offended. If he signs in Dallas I won't be offended. I don't know that I know enough about him right now to get excited or upset by a signing. He may not be back to 100% and his speed and explosiveness might not be up to par yet. He may still be a head case. He also may be explosive with great hands and a legit upgrade for our roster.

Either way I'm comfortable just letting it play out.
This

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I mean if he signs in Buffalo I won't be offended. If he signs in Dallas I won't be offended. I don't know that I know enough about him right now to get excited or upset by a signing. He may not be back to 100% and his speed and explosiveness might not be up to par yet. He may still be a head case. He also may be explosive with great hands and a legit upgrade for our roster.

Either way I'm comfortable just letting it play out.
I agree.

I want to sign him because I think we need another weapon and he could potentially help. Maybe a lot. He's immediately at least our 3rd best WR the second he signs, and given teams play with 3 WRs on a pretty regular basis, that alone is reason enough to do it in theory (factor in also things like if there's an injury it helps keep guys like Tolbert and Fehoko off the field).

But I readily acknowledge there's risk associated with signing him. I just think it makes sense to take the chance. God knows sitting on our hands hasn't done much for us over the years.

p1_

DCC 4Life
No one has said it thus far, but OBJ is coming off the same injury as Gallup, the second ACL on the left knee, and will take time to get back to his high level of play.
Gallup is now 8 games into his post ACL career, and is finally looking like the guy he was prior to the injury. I find that kinda worrisome if Im paying OBJ-level money.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree.

I want to sign him because I think we need another weapon and he could potentially help. Maybe a lot. He's immediately at least our 3rd best WR the second he signs, and given teams play with 3 WRs on a pretty regular basis, that alone is reason enough to do it in theory (factor in also things like if there's an injury it helps keep guys like Tolbert and Fehoko off the field).

But I readily acknowledge there's risk associated with signing him. I just think it makes sense to take the chance. God knows sitting on our hands hasn't done much for us over the years.
We scored like 3 TDs with our TEs on Thursday. Scares me to mess with that. I mean a solid coordinator it wouldn't worry me, but this is Moore and Jerry Jones we are talking about.

Genghis Khan

We scored like 3 TDs with our TEs on Thursday. Scares me to mess with that. I mean a solid coordinator it wouldn't worry me, but this is Moore and Jerry Jones we are talking about.

It's a concern, definitely. He would need to be complementary not primary.

Honestly, the fact that he's been injured and will need to ramp up will probably help. They'll probably want to limit his snap count at first.

Genghis Khan

By the way, we'll probably have to face the 49ers in the playoffs if we want to go deep.

The 49ers definitely had problems covering Beckham in the playoffs last season (9 catches 113 yards in their game). Worth considering.

p1_

DCC 4Life
By the way, we'll probably have to face the 49ers in the playoffs if we want to go deep.

The 49ers definitely had problems covering Beckham in the playoffs last season (9 catches 113 yards in their game). Worth considering.
Their defense will prove to be a challenge, but I think we play their offense much better this time around.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If Pollard has four carries and Lamb one catch like last year, we won't win this time either.

But I doubt that would happen again.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
I don’t see why we don’t hedge our bets and add him. We are going to need him vs the 49ers and Eagles. Everyone else we can take right now. Might as well hedge our bets since it requires zero draft capital. This gives us a two year window.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t see why we don’t hedge our bets and add him. We are going to need him vs the 49ers and Eagles. Everyone else we can take right now. Might as well hedge our bets since it requires zero draft capital. This gives us a two year window.
I agree, like him or not he can make big plays with the ball in his hands. We may need some of those against a good team. We can't always count on the slow marches down the field without a ref fucking it up at some point. Or a stupid penalty.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The value of having him next year on a reasonable deal is probably getting overlooked.

The NFC is weak right now and I don't see it getting significantly better next year.

Literally half of the Eagles starters are UFA's, guys like Kelce, Cox and Graham are at least 50/50 to retire and Hurts is going to be less explosive and worn down after logging 200+ carries this season. The 49ers are going to be starting Trey Lance, Brady will be retired, Rodgers barely wants to play football anymore, the Rams have no clear avenues to upgrade an aging roster with barely any picks and little cap space, and teams like the Vikings/Cardinals are meh.

As long as we can get Quinn to stay around I'd argue that we should be the NFC favorite going into next year and being able to roll out a WR trio of Lamb/Gallup/Beckham along with a strong running game will be dangerous.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
OBJ marginally improves our team, but I think his style is contrary to the identity we've established as an offense that sets up the pass with the run and uses a small army of TE's super-efficiently.

If we start forcing the ball to OBJ all of a sudden, I see interception/3&out-city.

OBJ is also complimentary, the WR cherry on top, not the cone or cream. At age 30, he's a guy who can make occasional plays to break the defense open. That's all he is, so we can't expect some TO-like superstar savior.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
OBJ marginally improves our team, but I think his style is contrary to the identity we've established as an offense that sets up the pass with the run and uses a small army of TE's super-efficiently.

If we start forcing the ball to OBJ all of a sudden, I see interception/3&out-city.

OBJ is also complimentary, the WR cherry on top, not the cone or cream. At age 30, he's a guy who can make occasional plays to break the defense open. That's all he is, so we can't expect some TO-like superstar savior.
For every reason you just mentioned we don't need a WR savior. We just need a guy that can take advantage of the run game and focus that Lamb gets. As long as Beckham just cares about winning like he did last year he will fit in great. He doesn't have to be a superstar in Dallas like he was expected to be for the Giants and Browns. Just be a really good 2/3.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I'd be pretty shocked if they viewed him as a savior considering we already have one of the best 1-2 punches at RB in the league plus a WR who is starting to solidify himself as a top 10 guy.

Cotton

Staff member
For every reason you just mentioned we don't need a WR savior. We just need a guy that can take advantage of the run game and focus that Lamb gets. As long as Beckham just cares about winning like he did last year he will fit in great. He doesn't have to be a superstar in Dallas like he was expected to be for the Giants and Browns. Just be a really good 2/3.
I'm not worried about OBJ himself as much as I am worried about how his addition could shift our offensive philosophy with Moore thinking he actually is the savior.

Cotton

Staff member
I'd be pretty shocked if they viewed him as a savior considering we already have one of the best 1-2 punches at RB in the league plus a WR who is starting to solidify himself as a top 10 guy.
You underestimate the idiocy of this organization.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not worried about OBJ himself as much as I am worried about how his addition could shift our offensive philosophy with Moore thinking he actually is the savior.
Yeah that's my only fear. That Odell will basically get the mandate from Jerry to be on the field and sort of dictate our offense into more 3 WR sets. I think this team is best with multiple TE's and 2 WR's most of the time. But your two WR's aren't always the same guys. Lamb and Gallup don't play 100% of the snaps so what I'm really hoping for if we make the addition is that Odell basically takes those Noah Brown snaps. Up until last week Noah Brown was playing around 75% of our offensive snaps. I'd like to see Odell getting that. Which is around the same amount of snaps Michael Gallup is getting.

So yeah, I agree, I don't want our coaches to shift anything. They don't need to. There are plenty of snaps for Odell if he signs in Dallas within the confines of our current system and the way we run it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You underestimate the idiocy of this organization.
A savior implies that the guy is saving something. We have a really good offense and are one of the best teams in the NFL. This isn't an Amari Cooper trade to save the day. This is just an attempt to bolster our roster so that they can actually do good against an elite defense. Presumably something we will see in the playoffs in the 49ers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom