The Odell Beckham Watch Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think a lot of you are conflating Jerry's stupidity and propensity for a circus environment, which is a lot of what's generating his interest in Beckham specifically, with the actual value of the player.

Guys like JuJu Smith-Schuster and Jakobi Meyers are getting 11/year, Beckham is significantly better than both of them but brings the injury risk/potential off-field BS, so something like 10-12 seems fair to me.

You want to say 8-10?

Great, whatever, but assuming he's actually healthy the guy wasn't just a peripheral player on the Rams Super Bowl run, in many ways he was a driving force behind it, particularly late in the playoffs. He was one of the best players on the field in the NFCC against the 49ers and was on his way to potentially being the Super Bowl MVP before popping his ACL.

I'd much rather just give up a 3 or 4 for Hopkins or Cooks because they don't have the same injury risk and they aren't potential off field distractions, but to pretend like Beckham has no value is ridiculous. It's just speculative value and a risk.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think a lot of you are conflating Jerry's stupidity and propensity for a circus environment, which is a lot of what's generating his interest in Beckham specifically, with the actual value of the player.

Guys like JuJu Smith-Schuster and Jakobi Meyers are getting 11/year, Beckham is significantly better than both of them but brings the injury risk/potential off-field BS, so something like 10-12 seems fair to me.

You want to say 8-10?

Great, whatever, but assuming he's actually healthy the guy wasn't just a peripheral player on the Rams Super Bowl run, in many ways he was a driving force behind it, particularly late in the playoffs. He was one of the best players on the field in the NFCC against the 49ers and was on his way to potentially being the Super Bowl MVP before popping his ACL.

I'd much rather just give up a 3 or 4 for Hopkins or Cooks because they don't have the same injury risk and they aren't potential off field distractions, but to pretend like Beckham has no value is ridiculous. It's just speculative value and a risk.

What's ridiculous is pretending that the fact that he now has a significant injury history, has a history of attitude problems, hasn't had a 1000 yard season since 2019, and is now on the wrong side of 30 doesn't severely diminish what his value should be.

The market will ultimately dictate his value, but a smart team says he's worth "x", and if he gets more than that more power to him. A smart team wouldn't invest heavily in him and would keep in mind that there are other viable options.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Quality doesn't even have much to do with it. There's tremendous risk involved given his history and attitude. You don't pay for that if you are smart. If someone else will, so be it.
Locker room chemistry is a huge thing.

I don't know this young man personally. So I don't think I am "hating".

I go with what he displays.

He has never been a stable force of any offense, anywhere.

He fought practice nets in New York. Probably struggled with Little Eli's lack of swag.

Then he went to Cleveland. Had one good year in Mayfield's rookie season.

So we are going to pay top dollar for an older injured certified flaky player that hasn't been an impactful receiver since 2018?

Seriously?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How come the Rams want to dump him now?
The Rams are an organizational dumpster fire right now. They have enough work to do to field a functional roster let alone worry about a guy like Beckham. He was in their locker room. They know as well. They had enough strong personalities to drown him out or at least make him understand he was not that fucking important.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Locker room chemistry is a huge thing.

I don't know this young man personally. So I don't think I am "hating".

I go with what he displays.

He has never been a stable force of any offense, anywhere.

He fought practice nets in New York. Probably struggled with Little Eli's lack of swag.

Then he went to Cleveland. Had one good year in Mayfield's rookie season.

So we are going to pay top dollar for an older injured certified flaky player that hasn't been an impactful receiver since 2018?

Seriously?
10-12M isn't top dollar anymore though, it's like a good number 2 now, maybe even just an above average one.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
But…he isn’t a good number two option. Mentally or physically.
It's very risky, I think he certainly can be a good 2 and even more situationally, but the risk is high.

Which is why I could understand giving him 10-12 but I'd rather go elsewhere.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's very risky, I think he certainly can be a good 2 and even more situationally, but the risk is high.

Which is why I could understand giving him 10-12 but I'd rather go elsewhere.
So why take that risk when the player is not special?

I will say it right now. The guy has been overrated for years.

And he is still overrated and he has barely played since 2020.

I have never seen any player parlay a single play into as much as he has. Especially when he pushed off to fucking begin with.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So why take that risk when the player is not special?

I will say it right now. The guy has been overrated for years.

And he is still overrated and he has barely played since 2020.

I have never seen any player parlay a single play into as much as he has. Especially when he pushed off to fucking begin with.
I think he can be special, he was against a very stingy 49ers defense in the NFCC and looked to be having another similar game in the Super Bowl. It's just obviously very risky.

The real unknown is we don't have any idea what someone like Arizona is actually asking for.

If it's really a 2 plus his contract vs. Beckham at 2/22 and no picks?

I'll take my chances with Beckham, but if Hopkins went for like a 4 and we end up with Beckham for 2/35 I'll be irate.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he can be special, he was against a very stingy 49ers defense in the NFCC and looked to be having another similar game in the Super Bowl. It's just obviously very risky.

The real unknown is we don't have any idea what someone like Arizona is actually asking for.

I'll take my chances with Beckham, but if Hopkins went for like a 4 and we end up with Beckham for 2/35 I'll be irate.
Well. It appears we are at an impasse.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Your scenario doesn't allow for option three, Cooks

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I've been saying for a while he's probably my preferred choice, assuming the Cardinals are asking too much for Hopkins.
When a guy gets traded as many damn times as Cooks has and you don’t hear shit about him, I regard him as a professional. He produces everywhere.

Hopkins? I will give him a mulligan for being asked to be Murray’s go to.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When a guy gets traded as many damn times as Cooks has and you don’t hear shit about him, I regard him as a professional. He produces everywhere.

Hopkins? I will give him a mulligan for being asked to be Murray’s go to.
Would you give the Bucs a call on Godwin or Mike Evans? They are a team going nowhere fast and by the time they figure their shit out those WRs will be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom