The Moving Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I met the neighbors while setting up the irrigation timer for all the sod.

They informed me that last night a snake had attempted to infiltrate through their front door until it got it's head chopped off with a hoe.

Needless to say, I will now need advice from you people on how to keep snakes out of the house.

I have a deal with snakes. My wife has been bitten by one and needless to say, I need help.

I could Google, but I have chosen you, my brethren, to advise me on this very important matter first.
What kind of snake is it? If it's not venomous, I wouldn't worry about it. Snakes are good to have around, and they will keep things like mice, rats, gophers, voles/moles etc... under control.

I have purposely captured bullsnakes and brought them home with me to take care of gopher problems. Once the food source for the snake is gone, it will move on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What kind of snake is it? If it's not venomous, I wouldn't worry about it. Snakes are good to have around, and they will keep things like mice, rats, gophers, voles/moles etc... under control.

I have purposely captured bullsnakes and brought them home with me to take care of gopher problems. Once the food source for the snake is gone, it will move on.
I get that snakes are good to control vermin. But coming in the house is a no go. My wife is petrified of them, and rightfully so.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Sounds like you just need to keep a hoe by the couch.

That or get a pet mongoose.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
I get that snakes are good to control vermin. But coming in the house is a no go. My wife is petrified of them, and rightfully so.
My sister in law lives in Hillsboro, king snake got in her cupboard. She literally shit herself. It was both hilarious and a big strain on our relationship. For some reason, my wife and her sister thought I should be the one that cleaned up the floor and all that . I did not comply. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Rev

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a nice snake sneak in my garage once. I couldn't help but snap and kill it with a shovel.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Had a nice snake sneak in my garage once. I couldn't help but snap and kill it with a shovel.
Yeah I have killed them in the garage in other houses, especially where there is new construction. Never had any sumbitch try and get in the front door. There is pine straw down which I may just replace with mulch.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I found a nest of about a dozen garden snakes in my mower bag last spring.

Our riding mower was shot, but i was going to give the bagger to a friend who had a similar mower.

We walked over and i flipped the lid back to show him the bags, and a fucking snake popped his head up out of one of the bags and nearly induced a full-on shitfest.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Have you guys killed rattlesnakes, or are these all non-venomous?

I've found or seen six or seven snakes in my yard the last few years, but only one or two might have been venomous and haven't had any close calls. I'm thinking I'd want a hoe with a really long handle on it to kill a rattlesnake, but maybe I've just seen too many movies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I've found or seen six or seven snakes in my yard the last few years, but only one or two might have been venomous and haven't had any close calls. I'm thinking I'd want a hoe with a really long handle on it to kill a rattlesnake, but maybe I've just seen too many movies.
These are all of the non-venomous variety.

When I was a kid in Arizona, a baby rattler got in my room. My mother freaked out, my sisters just went a couple of doors down to our neighbor's house. These guys basically hunted rattlers on the weekends and sold them. This chingon just shows up with a jar and a grab stick, takes it out front on the drive and allows me to squash it with one of the rocks that lined the driveway. I have not seen a rattler since.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I have killed two since I have been out on this property. Both with a shotgun.
That definitely would be my preferred method.

Wouldn't go over very well in town, though. :lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah nonvenomous here. I'm not sure what I would do if I ran into a rattlesnake. I don't know if killing it would make me feel safe. I'd be worried there is another one lurking somewhere.

Top Bottom