The Minimum Wage Debate

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dude. Are you on pain killers or something? This is about the most obvious joke ever and that is what you got to say about it?
He went on a mini-rant in the DCC FB group around that time, too. I'm going to have to assume he was loaded.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Hey, start your own "I fucked up on facebook thread!" Get that shit outta here!

townsend

Banned
I was at an In-N-Out in Grapevine yesterday (with my liberal fiancé) and they were offering jobs
at 10.50 an hour, which gave me an opportunity to say (in my best Ron Swanson voice) "Imagine that, a business is willing to pay good money without the government forcing them to."

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I was at an In-N-Out in Grapevine yesterday (with my liberal fiancé) and they were offering jobs
at 10.50 an hour, which gave me an opportunity to say (in my best Ron Swanson voice) "Imagine that, a business is willing to pay good money without the government forcing them to."
I honestly don't think that McDonald's pays minimum wage. They also offer raises often.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I'd like to see a list with the highest paying companies of that sort, fast food/department stores etc...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Is it just me or was wal-mart a decent place to work 20-25 years ago?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Is it just me or was wal-mart a decent place to work 20-25 years ago?
It was a good place to work and shop while Sam Walton was alive. When he died, slowly but surely the company was taken over by bottom line guys who didn't care about the quality of their service. They started running off their experienced employees and relying on cheap part time employees and slashed payroll overall. They got rid of the greeters. Now you have to stand in line for 10 minutes to get checked out because they don't want to pay enough cashiers to get people checked out efficiently. I avoid the place like the plague now and shop at HEB instead.

Newt

DCC 4Life
It was a good place to work and shop while Sam Walton was alive. When he died, slowly but surely the company was taken over by bottom line guys who didn't care about the quality of their service. They started running off their experienced employees and relying on cheap part time employees and slashed payroll overall. They got rid of the greeters. Now you have to stand in line for 10 minutes to get checked out because they don't want to pay enough cashiers to get people checked out efficiently. I avoid the place like the plague now and shop at HEB instead.
I have been to walmarts like what you are talking about, but I don't think that's true everywhere. Here, we still have greeters, they don't always have enough cashiers but its not too bad, I would say I haven't had to wait in a line more than 3 deep in a very long time. Where I see problems is with the people out in the store, they seem to have no idea whats going on around them and have no clue where anything is unless its in their little section. We have several stores within 5 miles of our house, Walmart, brookshires, super1, and even a new walmart market place. I just always seem to end up at walmart, probably because of the toy section.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Walmart is one of those places that you go to because of the low prices and hate basically everything else about the place. Doesn't make Walmart evil but it is a good example of an employer basically getting what they pay for in terms of employees. It's also a great example against a higher minimum wage in my opinion. Walmart gets exactly what they pay for with regards to their employees. If they want higher quality employees they can pay more money for their labor force.

Shitty workers should get paid like shit.

townsend

Banned
Walmart is one of those places that you go to because of the low prices and hate basically everything else about the place. Doesn't make Walmart evil but it is a good example of an employer basically getting what they pay for in terms of employees. It's also a great example against a higher minimum wage in my opinion. Walmart gets exactly what they pay for with regards to their employees. If they want higher quality employees they can pay more money for their labor force.

Shitty workers should get paid like shit.
I think that becomes a self fulfilling prophesy though. Treating workers like shitty workers will always yield shitty workers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that becomes a self fulfilling prophesy though. Treating workers like shitty workers will always yield shitty workers.
That could very well be. However if Walmart valued customer service more they would likely pay employees more and get better customer service. Of course they would probably have to raise their prices and they would essentially be the same thing as Target.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And you'll run off the good ones or they will be stolen by your competitors.

Top Bottom