The Minimum Wage Debate

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No grocery just has sackers anymore they stock also during the day as needed just ask them.

And who exactly is cleaning during the day?
So, having more skill-less jobs like pushing a broom warrants more money? Yeah, I don't think so.

Cotton

Staff member
What?

I have no issue with some prices raised but I have a real issue with profit margins being the end all.
Pick a side to debate and hang with it. Either argue the consumer should eat the hike in the minimum wage or the company should, because you've said both in this thread. There is a big difference in how it affects the economy.

Last edited:

Newt

DCC 4Life
You actually think that sacking groceries is all those guys do?:lol

Those guys stock shelves as well as clean, you really have no idea of what people actually do in their jobs and is why these discussions are actually pointless with people like you.

As for the 99 percent comment.:picard
I sacked groceries for 2 years, in high school. I know exactly what they do and how well it gets done. Your "People like you" comment is pretty short sighted. And my 99 percent figure is my experience dealing with people of walmart and the fast food industry. Do you live in the one place that always gets your order correct? I doubt it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I sacked groceries for 2 years, in high school. I know exactly what they do and how well it gets done. Your "People like you" comment is pretty short sighted. And my 99 percent figure is my experience dealing with people of walmart and the fast food industry. Do you live in the one place that always gets your order correct? I doubt it.
99% sounds like confirmation bias. I can't remember the last time a gas station employee really sucked at selling me a coke and a black and mild.

You don't think a minimum wage hike is a good idea, cool. I don't either, but there's no reason to rage against all the people out there who are making it.

I know a lot of people who work minimum wage jobs as their second moonlighting job to supplement their income even though their main job is for ~16 bucks an hour. That's not something a lazy person would do.

I respect people who go out and do a job I don't want to do a lot more than people who don't want to work.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Minimum wage isnt about who does or doesn't have ambition. It about paying for a job that has the lowest amount profitability in it. It's a necessary job but yields nothing to the bottom line. Think of it as a necessary cost of doing business.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Minimum wage isnt about who does or doesn't have ambition. It about paying for a job that has the lowest amount profitability in it. It's a necessary job but yields nothing to the bottom line. Think of it as a necessary cost of doing business.
I find the minimum wage thing silly because the market actually pushes that number up in most big cities. Almost no one makes minimum wage in San Antonio (a fairly low income city) for any length of time. I see gas station jobs advertised at $9/hr. My wife made that in a restaurant, and then again as a liquor store employee before she became a manager.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find the minimum wage thing silly because the market actually pushes that number up in most big cities. Almost no one makes minimum wage in San Antonio (a fairly low income city) for any length of time. I see gas station jobs advertised at $9/hr. My wife made that in a restaurant, and then again as a liquor store employee before she became a manager.
This is totally correct. Hell Walmart here in Missouri pays starting employees more then minimum wage. It's funny but if you all want to go back to the bagging groceries thing I was making more then minimum wage when I was 16 years old bagging groceries at Hy-vee in Iowa. There is no real reason to bump the minimum wage up any. If you want to help people earn more money help the economy create more jobs. More jobs means the demand for employees increases and thus increase the wages of employees.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Minimum wage is mandated. If you have a company that is required to pay it then the people you pay it to are the ones that yield the least to the bottom line. There are two discussions going on here. One is employers paying the least amount to employees for work they can hire them for and the other is employers who must pay anyone who works for the an amount equal to or more than the mandated amount.

Newt

DCC 4Life
99% sounds like confirmation bias. I can't remember the last time a gas station employee really sucked at selling me a coke and a black and mild.

You don't think a minimum wage hike is a good idea, cool. I don't either, but there's no reason to rage against all the people out there who are making it.

I know a lot of people who work minimum wage jobs as their second moonlighting job to supplement their income even though their main job is for ~16 bucks an hour. That's not something a lazy person would do.

I respect people who go out and do a job I don't want to do a lot more than people who don't want to work.
It is bias, I don't doubt that at all, but I don't think raging against anyone.

Here's the thing, if you have a job I'm happy for you, period. It means a lot just to get up and go to work everyday. For one, you aren't a complete drain on the economy which is best for everyone. And for those people who work two jobs, that's great and I have nothing against any of them. They are taking opportunities and making the most out of them.

I guess if I'm raging against anyone, its the people who work a minimum wage job and demand more than minimum wage. Everyone is bashing McDonald's for their high profit margins and low pay. Sure, they could operate differently, take less of a profit and pay their employees more. But why would they do that? They are in the business of making money, same as me and you. I come to work just like you do, for an agreed amount of money for an agreed amount of time. I wouldn't expect to come to work and tell my boss he has to pay me more but I'm going to keep doing the same job at the same pace. It doesn't work that way. And it shouldn't.

Look at the average work at McDonald's, they are a couple of things, young kids, older people with no skill set, or immigrants (legal or illegal doesn't really matter). Not every single one, I realize I'm generalizing here a bit so don't bite my head off for being an asshole. The high school kids have no work history, no experience, and probably aren't very dependable. Most of them this is their first job, and they will suck at it. A lot of them will quit after a few months, a few will stick with it until they go off to college. The older people have probably tried their hands in other jobs and failed, or like you said they are working a second job for supplemental income, either way there is a reason they are working fast food and it revolves around choices they have made throughout their lives. The immigrants, to me, are the best out of the three groups, a lot of times they don't have a choice, these are the only places that will hire them and for the most part they work hard but a lot of them don't speak English well and don't advance.

To me, all of these people have choices (I know I said immigrants don't always have a choice), and if you choose to stay in a job that pays minimum wage then that's on you. You can do several things, you can continue your education to get into a specialized field, do more manual labor, or just flat out work harder than everyone else and get promoted. You don't have to be strapped to a minimum wage job, people that are, IMO, are the one's who don't want to do anything else.

Newt

DCC 4Life
That's a good point too. Taco Bell here in Longview starts people out at $8.50/hr.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I think that all that are in favor of raising the minimum wage should take less pay themselves and donate it to the cause. That is what you are asking small business owners to do. I know that some people don't get that but it is absolutely true. Lots of people are self righteous about their causes until it actually costs them something.

Cotton

Staff member
I think that all that are in favor of raising the minimum wage should take less pay themselves and donate it to the cause. That is what you are asking small business owners to do. I know that some people don't get that but it is absolutely true. Lots of people are self righteous about their causes until it actually costs them something.
Yeah, this is a very good point. I deal with a lot of bleeding hearts and academics (one and the same most times) and it just gripes my ass when some idealistic professor just thinks because he has an idea it is either easily implemented or free to do so. /minirant

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Well, it will cost them, when the price of everything goes up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, it will cost them, when the price of everything goes up.
The prices won't go up if all the people who bitch in favor of raising the minimum wage would just donate some of their own money to people earning the minimum wage. Problem solved.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
BTW, I don't pay anyone close to minimum wage for any function at my business. $12 is the lowest we go. Most people make $15 for regular labor with my techs doing much better.

Top Bottom