The Minimum Wage Debate

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Too bad I can't ask Townsend how the hell Walmart eliminating greeters really matters that much to him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Too bad I can't ask Townsend how the hell Walmart eliminating greeters really matters that much to him.
He was a troll. There is a reason he is no longer with us.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
As Newt mentioned almost a decade ago in the OP (damn time flies), there are a lot of people who just aren't motivated to do better.

If they start paying people $15+ per hour minimum wage we need the workers to start performing at $15+ per hour level. That means look professional while you're at work; wear clean clothes; comb your hair; be helpful and provide better customer service; and last but not least, stay off your phones and do your damn job. I can't count the number of times I walk through stores and the workers are just casually standing around strolling through their phones instead of being productive.

If they're just going to provide the general public the same shitty service, they don't deserve a massive raise.

I'm willing to bet that a large portion of workers in those lower income jobs, especially those under the age of 25, would rather keep a lower salary then be held to a higher standard at work and make more money.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
As Newt mentioned almost a decade ago in the OP (damn time flies), there are a lot of people who just aren't motivated to do better.

If they start paying people $15+ per hour minimum wage we need the workers to start performing at $15+ per hour level. That means look professional while you're at work; wear clean clothes; comb your hair; be helpful and provide better customer service; and last but not least, stay off your phones and do your damn job. I can't count the number of times I walk through stores and the workers are just casually standing around strolling through their phones instead of being productive.

If they're just going to provide the general public the same shitty service, they don't deserve a massive raise.

I'm willing to bet that a large portion of workers in those lower income jobs, especially those under the age of 25, would rather keep a lower salary then be held to a higher standard at work and make more money.
Yep. I would easily take a $15/hour employee over a $10/hour employee every day of the week.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
In Ohio the minimum wage moved to $10.10. Meanwhile, honestly, you don’t even need to try to find jobs paying $15+. Walmart cashiers make $15. If you are willing to drive a forklift most are starting between $18-22. The dishwashers at the club I work at start at $16. For now the market has set itself. Not sure if or when it will move the other direction but the value of the dollar continues to decrease.

Top Bottom