Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He wants to be great.
Bullshit.

Either that or he can't play at all.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's still VERY early on Mazi.

He might suck, but people are putting way too much stock into their "evaluations," (and I put that in quotes because most people are just piling on what they see others say and noting his lack of flashy stats) after one rookie season.

DT is probably the hardest position to succeed at in the NFL early. You cannot draw sweeping conclusions yet.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
More from the article, this from McClay (as was the previous):

What he was a victim of is the first-round pick [expectation], people wanting 10 sacks and all the other stuff,” vice president of player personnel Will McClay said. “Well, that stuff doesn’t happen in the NFL. Not that often. What you see is a guy who’s in a different system, and you always think about that. You think about what you’re taking them out of and what you’re putting them into and if they have the capabilities to become the player that you want.
More bullshit. Give me a break, man. No one with a brain expected 10 sacks, or even close. He was drafted as a run stopper, we saw it on video in the draft room. And he couldn't do that at all. He got put on rollerskates on the regular. Quit acting like we're all Joe Idiot Fan.

Doesn't help their case when they piss down our backs and tell us it's raining.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
More from the article, this from McClay (as was the previous):

More bullshit. Give me a break, man. No one with a brain expected 10 sacks, or even close. He was drafted as a run stopper, we saw it on video in the draft room. Quit acting like we're all Joe Idiot Fan.

Doesn't help their case when they piss down our back and tell us it's raining.
McClay said he was a "day 1 starter" while deliberating between him and Bergeron so I don't buy what he's saying for a second. I still have an open mind on him but it could easily just be a miss on his personality/character/demeanor/work ethic, it happens.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
McClay said he was a "day 1 starter" while deliberating between him and Bergeron so I don't buy what he's saying for a second. I still have an open mind on him but it could easily just be a miss on his personality/character/demeanor/work ethic, it happens.
Exactly. Just say it was a very disappointing rookie year and he'll just have to work very hard this offseason to try to turn things around.

There's no shame in that. Much better than playing CYA about your own (McClay's) evaluation by telling fans they were just expecting too much. The guy played four snaps in the playoff game, for God's sake.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
This scouting dept needs to put way more emphasis on finding out if these players love football or not. That should be way more important than the measurements the front office seems to be captured by these days.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This scouting dept needs to put way more emphasis on finding out if these players love football or not. That should be way more important than the measurements the front office seems to be captured by these days.
Yeah, they've drafted well for a while now but last year was a whiff.

Hopefully they have the humility and awareness to look at last year and see where they got off track and make corrections instead of thinking they're great and don't need to self-examine.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's still VERY early on Mazi.

He might suck, but people are putting way too much stock into their "evaluations," (and I put that in quotes because most people are just piling on what they see others say and noting his lack of flashy stats) after one rookie season.

DT is probably the hardest position to succeed at in the NFL early. You cannot draw sweeping conclusions yet.
Had he been journeyman average, like Hankins, the season outcome may have changed as our ineffectiveness vs the run blew us up late in the year. Instead there was this whole swirl about his lack of size and inability to react.

What sucked is how he took up PT at a critical position with our talent in an ever-dwindling window and clearly didn't measure up, impacting the rest of the defense and exacerbating the loss of our best off-ball LB.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Fluff, but who is the quote even by? And I hope someone does know how to make him better. I sure as shit know that guy wasn't Durde. And Shariff Floyd was a NFL bust out of the league in 4 years. So I'm not sure how great he was.
And Durde milked a promotion out of his “success” here. Go figure.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This and putting more emphasis on players who check the leadership box.

Top Bottom